256x192 resolution AVI (MP42 codec) video - any problems?

Old September 26th 05, 02:05 PM
Robert J Batina

Default 256x192 resolution AVI (MP42 codec) video - any problems?

I've always heard that it is best to keep your video at a resolution that is
divisible by 16, which makes it most compatible for any players that may try
to access it. So, my webcam captures images at 320x240 (4:3) and I want to
keep the same aspect ratio for my video, except smaller - in order to save
some space. I've settled on 256x192 3fps for now (4*64 x 3*64) but I wonder
if people will have problems playing it because it isn't a "standard" video
size like 320x240 or 160x120 or 640x480 or something. It works fine in
FireFox and MSIE on my XP system, but I don't want it to crap out on anyone
that might be viewing the file with another OS or media player.

Any comments?

My webcam video is usually located he
http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe/webcam/video.avi

--
Visit My Site: http://www.rubbertoe.com

Old September 26th 05, 05:32 PM
Corentin Cras-Méneur

Robert J Batina wrote:

Hi Robert,

I've always heard that it is best to keep your video at a resolution that is
divisible by 16, which makes it most compatible for any players that may try
to access it. So, my webcam captures images at 320x240 (4:3) and I want to
keep the same aspect ratio for my video, except smaller - in order to save
some space. I've settled on 256x192 3fps for now (4*64 x 3*64) but I wonder
if people will have problems playing it because it isn't a "standard" video
size like 320x240 or 160x120 or 640x480 or something. It works fine in
FireFox and MSIE on my XP system, but I don't want it to crap out on anyone
that might be viewing the file with another OS or media player.

I don't see why it would be a problem. Do you have a link I could test
on my Mac ??

Corentin

--
--- Mac:MS MVP (Francophone) ---
http://www.mvps.org - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Old September 26th 05, 06:02 PM
Robert J Batina

"Corentin Cras-Méneur" spewed:
I don't see why it would be a problem. Do you have a link I could
test on my Mac ??

http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe/webcam/video.avi

The program that I use only has two codecs available, Indeo 3.2 or something
old like that - and then the Microsoft MP4v2 codec, which I hear can be
flakey from time to time. The resolution I'm running the video at now is
something I've never encountered, yet it plays on my two XP systems at
home - so maybe I'll be alright.

If you get a chance to try it on your mac, lemme know how bad she chokes and
pukes. ;-)

--
Visit My Site: http://www.rubbertoe.com

Old September 26th 05, 09:09 PM
Corentin Cras-Méneur

Robert J Batina wrote:

http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe/webcam/video.avi

The program that I use only has two codecs available, Indeo 3.2 or something
old like that - and then the Microsoft MP4v2 codec, which I hear can be
flakey from time to time. The resolution I'm running the video at now is
something I've never encountered, yet it plays on my two XP systems at
home - so maybe I'll be alright.

If you get a chance to try it on your mac, lemme know how bad she chokes and
pukes. ;-)

:-)
Well QuickTime tried to play it and warned me that I was missing the
required codecs (I don't even know if they exist for QT for Mac).
I thereofre pasted the link in VLC and everything is playing fine.
It's a little choppy (streaming) but it plays. Unfortunately, that means
that we won't be able to watch the video directly from a browser. At
least, VLC is free :-\

WMP is not even trying to play it ( but I'm not surprised).

It's amazing how the cat couldn't care less when it's pushed around for
typing on the keyboard :-)

Corentin

Old September 27th 05, 12:24 AM
Corentin Cras-Méneur

Harri Mellin wrote:

quicktime 6.03 mac os 9.1 it workt for about 30sec then it stopt working
with quicktime plugin but it works with quicktime player

I was wondering what codec I might be missing to view the file in QT,
then I remembered that some of these codecs were available for MacOS 9.1
and were never ported to MacOS X :-(

Corentin

Old September 27th 05, 09:48 AM
Tony Sutton

"Robert J Batina" wrote in message
. ..

My webcam video is usually located he
http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe/webcam/video.avi

Totally different question... how did you get the subtitles embedded without
having a 2nd file (*.sub) with it?

Thanks.

--

- Tony Sutton
- http://www.hyperboard.co.uk - The Biggest Message Board!

Old September 27th 05, 12:45 PM
Robert J Batina

Tony Sutton spewed:
"Robert J Batina" wrote in message
My webcam video is usually located he
http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe/webcam/video.avi

Totally different question... how did you get the subtitles
embedded without having a 2nd file (*.sub) with it?

I use HomeWatcher v1.5 from www.homewatcher.com - it's a remarkable webcam /
security app... surprised that more people don't use it. Hopefully someone
will by the site and the application and continue work on it. Good stuff,
coming from a long time user here. ;-)

So, to answer your question - I don't really know how it does the text
overlays.

--
Visit My Site: http://www.rubbertoe.com

Old September 27th 05, 04:55 PM
Tony Sutton

"Robert J Batina" wrote in message
. ..

I use HomeWatcher v1.5 from www.homewatcher.com - it's a remarkable webcam
/ security app... surprised that more people don't use it. Hopefully
someone will by the site and the application and continue work on it.
Good stuff, coming from a long time user here. ;-)

So, to answer your question - I don't really know how it does the text
overlays.

Thanks, will check it out.

--

- Tony Sutton
- http://www.hyperboard.co.uk - The Biggest Message Board!
Do one legged ducks swim in circles?

Old September 27th 05, 05:07 PM
Corentin Cras-Méneur

Robert J Batina wrote:

I use HomeWatcher v1.5 from www.homewatcher.com - it's a remarkable webcam /
security app... surprised that more people don't use it. Hopefully someone
will by the site and the application and continue work on it. Good stuff,
coming from a long time user here. ;-)

So, to answer your question - I don't really know how it does the text
overlays.

On a Mac I use either D-Vision or ffmpeg X to "burn" the subtitles on
the movie.

I know mkv files can embed the subtitles without actually burning them
on (but I don;t know apps that make mkv on MacOS X - at least no easy to
use app). I wonder whether DivX 6 doesn't also come with something like
that.

Corentin