Does Dell supply an actual Windows disk with new laptops?

Old January 2nd 12, 03:10 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bud H[_2_]

Default Does Dell supply an actual Windows disk with new laptops?

I have a 5 1/2 year old Dell Latitude D820 laptop computer and it came
with a Windows XP CD.

My two year old Gateway desktop did NOT. A recovery partition only.
Which I REALLY hate since I want a Windows CD to be able to wipe the
entire hard drive clean and install Windows myself.

Now I am in the market for a new Dell laptop (XPS 17 or Inspiron 17).
Does Dell still supply an actual Windows CD as they did five years
ago?

Bud H
Old January 2nd 12, 05:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

On 1/1/2012 10:10 PM, Bud H wrote:
I have a 5 1/2 year old Dell Latitude D820 laptop computer and it came
with a Windows XP CD.

My two year old Gateway desktop did NOT. A recovery partition only.
Which I REALLY hate since I want a Windows CD to be able to wipe the
entire hard drive clean and install Windows myself.

Now I am in the market for a new Dell laptop (XPS 17 or Inspiron 17).
Does Dell still supply an actual Windows CD as they did five years
ago?

Bud H

home and home office computers do not come with recover cds from dell
(or any other major manufacturer that i know), but the small business
machines do (vostro, latitude, optiplex). dell pcs that do not come
with media have a way for you to burn your own copy of the windows dvd
using your blank dvd+/-r media. also dell has a page where you can
order recovery media free of charge, once per system, if you are in the usa.
https://support.dell.com/support/top.../backupcd_form

Old January 2nd 12, 05:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

In
,
Bud H wrote:
I have a 5 1/2 year old Dell Latitude D820 laptop computer and it came
with a Windows XP CD.

My two year old Gateway desktop did NOT. A recovery partition only.
Which I REALLY hate since I want a Windows CD to be able to wipe the
entire hard drive clean and install Windows myself.

Now I am in the market for a new Dell laptop (XPS 17 or Inspiron 17).
Does Dell still supply an actual Windows CD as they did five years
ago?

Bud H

I have nine Gateway laptops and they all came with a Recovery DVD.
Although they are between 4 to 5 years old. So maybe things are
different nowadays.

And to add to RnR comments, there are companies that sell Recovery discs
for major manufactures. Most of them generally run about 25 bucks for
the OS, drivers, and the applications that came with the machine. One
that I have dealt with is:

http://www.RestoreDisks.com

--
Bill

Old January 4th 12, 11:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob_Villa

On Jan 1, 11:18*pm, Christopher Muto wrote:

home and home office computers do not come with recover cds from dell
(or any other major manufacturer that i know), but the small business
machines do (vostro, latitude, optiplex). *dell pcs that do not come
with media have a way for you to burn your own copy of the windows dvd
using your blank dvd+/-r media. *also dell has a page where you can
order recovery media free of charge, once per system, if you are in the usa.https://support.dell.com/support/top...port/dellcare/...

Thanks Chris, I sent for mine and they came in 2 days.
Old January 13th 12, 07:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 00:18:03 -0500, Christopher Muto
wrote:

On 1/1/2012 10:10 PM, Bud H wrote:
[...]

Why only in the USA? Obviously the first answer is cost, but the
world is much larger than the USA, and I'm sure that Dell sells many
computers to countries other than the USA.
Old January 14th 12, 01:03 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

wrote:

On 1/1/2012 10:10 PM, Bud H wrote:
[...]

http://en.community.dell.com/support...t_os/1434.aspx

See Step 3 for options.

Old January 14th 12, 02:05 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob_Villa

On Jan 14, 7:03*am, "Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries"
wrote:

Why only in the USA? *Obviously the first answer is cost, but the
world is much larger than the USA, and I'm sure that Dell sells many
computers to countries other than the USA.

http://en.community.dell.com/support.../w/microsoft_o...

See Step 3 for options.

I did read somewhere (and I can't find it) you need to contact support
(phone) to obtain disks when not in the USA.
Old January 14th 12, 02:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

wrote:

On 1/1/2012 10:10 PM, Bud H wrote:
[...]

not sure why dell has this policy in the usa but not other countries.
it probably has to do with legal licensing agreements with microsoft.
the eu and microsoft have a very strained relationship and their
business decisions are probably made mostly by their lawyers in those
countries.