Blurry system fonts with FX 5600 card...

Old July 20th 03, 03:07 AM
Tombraider

Default Blurry system fonts with FX 5600 card...

Hi,

Just got a new HP computer (an A250Y from the HP web site) and opted for an
upgrade to an Nvidia FX 5600 card for an extra %140 but am very
disappointed in the blurry Windows XP desktop fonts. What's the problem
with this card? I am using the same monitor and an A/B switch to switch
between my old computer and my new one and my old computer with an Elsa
Erazor X2 card has crisp dark fonts but the fonts on the new HP are almost
unreadable; they seem to be grey rather than black and very fuzzy.

Are there any new drivers to correct this problem? I should have gotten an
ATI card. :-(

Thanks in advance,
Tombraider
Old July 20th 03, 06:00 AM
klunk

"Tombraider" wrote in message
Hi,

Just got a new HP computer (an A250Y from the HP web site) and opted for

an
upgrade to an Nvidia FX 5600 card for an extra %140 but am very
disappointed in the blurry Windows XP desktop fonts. What's the problem
with this card? I am using the same monitor and an A/B switch to switch
between my old computer and my new one and my old computer with an Elsa
Erazor X2 card has crisp dark fonts but the fonts on the new HP are almost
unreadable; they seem to be grey rather than black and very fuzzy.

Is this at the same bit-depth, resolution and refresh rate?
What monitor model?

Old July 20th 03, 12:16 PM
Larry L.

My first instinct would be to check the refresh rate and drop it a notch or
two if it's set real high. As you start to get close to either the card's
or the monitor's limits, the image can start to become blurry. Most
monitors will allow higher refresh rates than they can handle comfortably,
so lowering the rate below the "optimum" setting will often result in a much
clearer image.

Larry

Old July 20th 03, 12:22 PM
Wannaknow

"klunk" wrote in

"Tombraider" wrote in message
Hi,

Just got a new HP computer (an A250Y from the HP web site) and opted
for

an
upgrade to an Nvidia FX 5600 card for an extra %140 but am very
disappointed in the blurry Windows XP desktop fonts. What's the
problem with this card? I am using the same monitor and an A/B
switch to switch between my old computer and my new one and my old
computer with an Elsa Erazor X2 card has crisp dark fonts but the
fonts on the new HP are almost unreadable; they seem to be grey
rather than black and very fuzzy.

Is this at the same bit-depth, resolution and refresh rate?
What monitor model?

This is at any bit rate or resolution OR refresh rate I have tried.
It's a Sony Multiscan 17sf monitor.

I just downloaded the new drivers so will try that today.

My husband just got a Toshiba Satellite laptop and it is crystal clear
also....he sat down in front of my monitor and couldn't beleive the
fuzzy fonts....I can't believe them either!!

As I said, I am using the very same monitor and switching with an A/B
switch between my old computer and the new one so it's not a problem
with the monitor. Have also tried without the A/B switch and still the
same thing.

I guess I will try to complain to HP tech support but I really expect no
help from them. :-(

Thanks for your help.

Tombraider
Old July 20th 03, 07:01 PM
klunk

"Wannaknow" wrote in message
This is at any bit rate or resolution OR refresh rate I have tried.
It's a Sony Multiscan 17sf monitor.

I just downloaded the new drivers so will try that today.

My husband just got a Toshiba Satellite laptop and it is crystal clear
also....he sat down in front of my monitor and couldn't beleive the
fuzzy fonts....I can't believe them either!!

As I said, I am using the very same monitor and switching with an A/B
switch between my old computer and the new one so it's not a problem
with the monitor. Have also tried without the A/B switch and still the
same thing.

I think you're probably right, then, that it is the card.
However, check one more thing (if you haven't already
done so): It could be the video A/B switch or video cable. Try
swapping cables and even taking the switch out of the loop.

Make HP fix it -- why else to buy from the big name vendors?
Good luck!

Old July 21st 03, 02:21 AM
Flow

On our laptop images and fonts are crystal clear.
After sitting behind it for an hour i was very dissapointed with my normal
monitor
which looked very blurry indeed.After a while i dont notice this anymore.
The eyes get used to it i think.
I would suggest to try the new monitor on both comps as a standalone to
determine if it's a monitor issue or something else interfering with monitor
signal.Keep in mind i too had normal screen with old viper videocard.
When i switched to gf2 card it was less sharp but this is because of the
higher signal output from videocard and a decent monitor should have no prob
with it,older cards dont suffer from this high
output............................

"The Thin Man" schreef in bericht
On this day of our lord, 20 Jul 2003 02:07:45 GMT, Tombraider
quilled:

Hi,

Just got a new HP computer (an A250Y from the HP web site) and opted for

an
upgrade to an Nvidia FX 5600 card for an extra %140 but am very
disappointed in the blurry Windows XP desktop fonts. What's the problem
with this card? I am using the same monitor and an A/B switch to switch
between my old computer and my new one and my old computer with an Elsa
Erazor X2 card has crisp dark fonts but the fonts on the new HP are

almost
unreadable; they seem to be grey rather than black and very fuzzy.

Are there any new drivers to correct this problem? I should have gotten

an
ATI card. :-(

Thanks in advance,
Tombraider

Maybe HP set it to use clear type font effect? To me clear type looks
a bit blurry on my LCD and I prefer just smooth edge fonts.

Old July 22nd 03, 09:31 AM
FEDup

I am running the same card myself. My mojnitor is an IBM P260 21". When i
first bought this monitor i hooked it up through a standard VGA cable and
the result was absolutely disgusting to say the least! I soon discovered
through searching the net,that I required a High Quality SHIELDED SVGA
cable. That did the trick- beautiful picture!

Now,that may not be the problem but it's worth investigating. Check the
version of driver you're using. When i was running the Geforce3,i found a
similar problem existed with the particular driver. I upgraded (or
downgraded) and found the one that gave me the best results for my
particular setup.

At the moment i'm running the GF fx5600/256 from prolink and at odd
times,the text goes fuzzy,but it lasts only a split second- this is a driver
issue. It's matter of experimenting for your particular setup to see which
driver serves you best.
I will probably end up DOWNgrading drivers yet again. This doesn't mean my
card won't work as well but on the contrary...upgraded drivers does not
necessarily mean BETTER drivers.

See how u go anyway

PAUL

Old July 22nd 03, 09:34 AM
FEDup

WHOOPS....forgot...another feature available to you in NVIEW's Display Mode
settings/device settings/is an image sharpening slider...give that a go too!

PAUL

"Tombraider" wrote in message
Hi,

Just got a new HP computer (an A250Y from the HP web site) and opted for

an
upgrade to an Nvidia FX 5600 card for an extra %140 but am very
disappointed in the blurry Windows XP desktop fonts. What's the problem
with this card? I am using the same monitor and an A/B switch to switch
between my old computer and my new one and my old computer with an Elsa
Erazor X2 card has crisp dark fonts but the fonts on the new HP are almost
unreadable; they seem to be grey rather than black and very fuzzy.

Are there any new drivers to correct this problem? I should have gotten

an
ATI card. :-(

Thanks in advance,
Tombraider

On the brink of madness... I.C. Koets General 18 January 31st 05 10:49 PM
New card or new system? help xyz Ati Videocards 20 June 9th 04 12:52 AM
FPS Really LOW - Whats Wrong? John W. Ati Videocards 5 January 20th 04 08:09 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
ATIAIW750064A card questions... NightRunner Ati Videocards 1 July 13th 03 08:20 PM