Computer beeping

Old January 5th 05, 08:16 PM
DJ75

Default Computer beeping

Hey friends,

I'm desperate for answers to my problem. I've had this Compaq Presari
R3000T laptop for 6 months now and have had the worst problems with i
which has been driving me nuts. I've called Compaq Tech Support, bu
they keep referring me to the driver CD's or reinstalling the OS whic
I've done over and over, but it still hasn't fixed the issue. The spec
on my system are as followed:

Windows XP Professional
3.0 GHZ w/HT Pentium 4
1Gig. DDR SDRAM memory
60 GB 4200rpm drive
ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 w/ 128mB
15.4 WSXGA Screen (1680x1050)

All of my problems started when I tried to play games on my laptop.
loaded Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. The game will start up fine an
I can get through the main options screen, but right when I start th
first mission, the video starts to slow down to a slow creep an
sometimes it just freezes. If I let it sit there long enough, the gam
crashes and my video results to 8 bit 800x600 or something like tha
resolution. I then have to power cycle the laptop. When I do that, th
computer beeps twice and just hangs. I don't see the usual Compa
about 20 min. before it will start back up. I've updated all the vide
drivers from the Compaq website. I wouldn't think that this game i
that complex for the video card. I even set all the options to thei
minimal, but it still freezes. So, I decided to forget about trying t
play games on it for awhile and just use it to browse the internet
Now, the computer resolution reverts back to the 8 bit 800x600 mod
when I just surf the internet for a few minutes. This also eventuall
happens when I leave the computer sitting alone doing nothing fo
roughly 10 min. Again, I have to power cycle the computer and I hea
the 2 short beeps again. Again, I have to wait another 20 min. to ge
it to start back up normally.

I was told that maybe the video card was overheating and at one point
had a fan pointed at the exhaust vents of the laptop and it helped wit
playing games for a little while longer, but still the same problem
Could there be something wrong with the video card? I can understan
the card possibly overheating when playing games, but surfing th
internet or even puzzling just sitting/doing nothing on the desktop?

Compaq just told me that the game wasn't compatible with my video card
They keep telling me to reinstall the video drivers too. I've even trie
the Omega Drivers that people talk about and that hasn't worked either
I've at a lost for what to do. Anyone have any suggests

--
DJ75
Old February 24th 05, 12:06 PM
JJO

Have you called Compaq back and instead of inquiring about the games
problem, simply stated that the system will do this just sitting by itself.
If they believe it is a game only issue you may get a run around. Personally
it sure sounds like a hardware problem and the fact that blowing a fan on it
helped would lead one to believe the video card is overheating. Press them
on this issue since you are halfway into your warranty and surely do not
want this to continue to the point where Compaq has no interest to repair
with a warranty expiration.

Regards,
John O.

"DJ75" wrote in message
news

Hey friends,

I'm desperate for answers to my problem. I've had this Compaq Presario
R3000T laptop for 6 months now and have had the worst problems with it
which has been driving me nuts. I've called Compaq Tech Support, but
they keep referring me to the driver CD's or reinstalling the OS which
I've done over and over, but it still hasn't fixed the issue. The specs
on my system are as followed:

Windows XP Professional
3.0 GHZ w/HT Pentium 4
1Gig. DDR SDRAM memory
60 GB 4200rpm drive
ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 w/ 128mB
15.4 WSXGA Screen (1680x1050)

All of my problems started when I tried to play games on my laptop. I
loaded Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. The game will start up fine and
I can get through the main options screen, but right when I start the
first mission, the video starts to slow down to a slow creep and
sometimes it just freezes. If I let it sit there long enough, the game
crashes and my video results to 8 bit 800x600 or something like that
resolution. I then have to power cycle the laptop. When I do that, the
computer beeps twice and just hangs. I don't see the usual Compaq
about 20 min. before it will start back up. I've updated all the video
drivers from the Compaq website. I wouldn't think that this game is
that complex for the video card. I even set all the options to their
minimal, but it still freezes. So, I decided to forget about trying to
play games on it for awhile and just use it to browse the internet.
Now, the computer resolution reverts back to the 8 bit 800x600 mode
when I just surf the internet for a few minutes. This also eventually
happens when I leave the computer sitting alone doing nothing for
roughly 10 min. Again, I have to power cycle the computer and I hear
the 2 short beeps again. Again, I have to wait another 20 min. to get
it to start back up normally.

I was told that maybe the video card was overheating and at one point I
had a fan pointed at the exhaust vents of the laptop and it helped with
playing games for a little while longer, but still the same problem.
Could there be something wrong with the video card? I can understand
the card possibly overheating when playing games, but surfing the
internet or even puzzling just sitting/doing nothing on the desktop?

Compaq just told me that the game wasn't compatible with my video card.
They keep telling me to reinstall the video drivers too. I've even tried