building stable computers for Mom/Grandma....HELP!!

Old November 22nd 03, 01:59 PM
rferoni

Default building stable computers for Mom/Grandma....HELP!!

Hello all,

I've only built one computer in my life, the one I type from now.
It actually went together pretty good. I do have the occasional 'glitch'
but hey its been a couple years already and they ARE computers. Anyway, I
am thinking of building a couple computers for my Mom/Grandma as they are in
dire need of new computers. Grandma's took a dump the other day and Moms is
about 7 years old and doesn't run right at all. If I decide to build them I
need to know what parts I should get. Not looking for no gaming computer
here, just something waaaaaay updated from what they have, and very stable.
Don't want to spend much either. Both Mom and Grams mostly just use the
computers for email, simple games only like card games or the Game Of
Life(no online gaming, cept maybe euchre thru yahoo or something). Mom is
starting to get into the digital camera world but all she wants to do is
load them on the computer and print them off every now and then. So what
I'm looking for is .... Tower, power source, motherboard, video card,
soundcard, processor, cd rom, cd burner. If you all have any thoughts on
this please advise.

Now I was also thinking of trying to find them a good deal thru a
company such as Dell or Sony. I've heard good things about Dell and can get
a small discount thru my employer. Reason is if there are any problems with
the computers they will be calling ME, and my mother does that now and
frankly its a pain in the but(still love you Mom!!). This way they would
have support for a few years. Is it possible to just buy the PC from a
company, without the monitor, keyboard etc?? Another benefit would be the
progams the store bought would come with. Moms got windows 98 and wants XP
so if I build it that just adds to the price. I guess thats it. If anyone
has been in the same situation or has any thoughts all around on my dilemma
please advise, and thanks very much.

Ps. I want to get them BOTH a good antivirus and firewall, ones that
work automatically(updates and such)and that are easy to understand....

Ron

Old November 22nd 03, 02:08 PM
SoCalMike

Ps. I want to get them BOTH a good antivirus and firewall, ones

that
work automatically(updates and such)and that are easy to understand....

two ways id go...

get a e-machines bundle from costco. they usually include a modern 17" flat
screen, better than the 7 year old one. just set it up to look like "windows
classic", to make it easier to learn

build myself a new one, and hand the old one down

my mom and brother have never had to buy a new computer, since ive always
handed down my stuff, which is perfectly good. however, my moms running a
300mhz emachine, and both are using ancient packard bell monitors, that are
flickering. mom wants a LCD, so mebbe this time around, she ought to buy a
bundle. i currently use a 19"CRT, and use that for all my systems.

Old November 22nd 03, 06:00 PM
Ric

rferoni wrote:
[...]

i build loads of systems and can honestly say that if you're on a shoestring
budget and the recipient is going to be calling you every time there's a
real or imagine problem, you're better off getting a preconfigured one from
dell or similar. they'll be happy to flog you one without monitor, or get
an ex corporate dell/compaq desktop from ebay and use that. stick XP and a
ghost image on it and hand it over.

Old November 22nd 03, 10:02 PM
Ralph Mowery

I agree, for simple computer users get a Dell. They have one listed on TV
for about $ 500 after the rebate. I have always put my computers together
but I don't mind getting one going if it has some software or hardware
compatiability problems. When a hand me down I gave to my daughter got hit
by lightning I told her to get a Dell.

There is almost no way you can come out by building a simple system if you
have to buy the sortware.
If you have some high end computer and want to upgrade it over time , that
is differant.

Old November 23rd 03, 12:56 PM
Andy

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 08:59:24 -0500, "rferoni"
wrote:
[...]

Source: http://www.newegg.com Shipping
ECS Model 648FX-A motherboard - Retail $55.00 $0
Intel Celeron 2.0 GHz 128K 400MHz FSB mPGA-478, Retail $65.00 $0
KINGMAX Memory 256MB PC2700 DDR RAM OEM Model# MPMB62D $43.50 $0
POWERCOLOR Evil Wizard RADEON 7000 64MB DDR DVI+CRT+TV $41.00 $0
Reach Well Model# JR-210KL ATX Mid-Tower Case $15.00 $0
Fortron - 300W Switching Power Supply, FSP300-60ATV $24.00 $6
SAMSUNG 1.44MB FLOPPY DRIVE Model# SFD321B/LEB $6.00 $6
SAMSUNG 40GB 7200RPM HDD Model# SP0411N - OEM $62.00 $0
Lite On LTR-52327S Beige 52x32x52 CD-RW Drive, 2MB $38.00 $0
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with SP1a - OEM $91.00 $0
Kerio firewall $ 0.00 $0

$440.50 $12

Old November 25th 03, 05:18 AM
ToolPackinMama

rferoni wrote:

Now I was also thinking of trying to find them a good deal thru a
company such as Dell or Sony.

No0oooooo!
Old November 25th 03, 05:19 AM
ToolPackinMama

SoCalMike wrote:

build myself a new one, and hand the old one down

LOL
Old November 25th 03, 05:28 AM
ToolPackinMama

Raidmax Model 208(BEIGE) 10-bay Case w/ 350W Power Supply Retail $30.00
LEADTEK Motherboard K7NCR18GM Nforce2-G for AMD Socket A Retail $94.00
(onboard vid and sound)
AMD Athlon XP 2000+/266 FSB Processor CPU - Retail 2000+/ 1.67GHz,
(heatsink and fan included) $67.00
2 DIMMS KRETON 256MB 32X8 PC2700 184 pins DDRAM - OEM $82.00
Alps 3.5 Inch Floppy Disk Drive (Beige) - OEM $6.00
Seagate 40GB 7200rpm EIDE Hard Drive OEM Barracuda 7200.7 ST340014A
$62.00
ENCORE 56K INTERNAL PCI FAX / MODEM/ MIC & SPEAKER (INTEL) - RETAIL
$10.00
Samsung SM-352BRNS Beige 8mb Cache CDRW/DVD Combo Drive , - RETAIL BOX
$58.99

From Newegg.com
Old November 29th 03, 04:01 AM

Sounds like a perfect cantidate for www.dell.com/tv
Old December 8th 03, 02:35 AM
Kanda' Jalen Eirsie

Greetings...

Check your local newspaper - I'm in a small town 300 miles from anywhere, and there are
always adds for 800 mhz or better AMD boxes for less than $100 US... Most are complete
systems too...

Good enough for playing ms card games...

ll
Kanda'

SPAM-KILLER- If you really want to contact me, then -
kandajeatbresnandotnet

You figure it out...