PackardBell Legend 822CDT and IDE disk sizes?

Old February 23rd 09, 01:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
metronid

Default PackardBell Legend 822CDT and IDE disk sizes?

On Feb 22, 7:32*am, "philo" wrote:
"metronid" wrote in message

On Feb 20, 8:08 pm, "philo" wrote:

"jglong3" wrote in message

.. .

Hello,,,,,

I have a (circa)1995 Packard Bell Legend 822CDT with the PB600
Motherboard.

The original BIOS has been upgraded. The files included in the update
are PHFLASH.EXE, Autoexec.bak (a bat file to execute the PBFLASH),
BIOS.ROM, BUILD.MAP, CRISDISK.BAT, MAKEBOOT.EXE, MINIDOS.SYS, and
PLATFORM.BIN. There is a README.TXT which contains the following:

Short Description: PB600 Agoura Flash BIOS Version 1.20 Disk 1 of 1
Long Description : PB600 Agoura Flash BIOS Version 1.20 Disk 1 of 1
Note: This BIOS upgrade is to resolve the Year 2000 issue.

On Boot the BIOS displays the following:

PhoenixBios Version 4.04
Copyright 1987-1995,,,,,,,,
AGOURA release 1.20

Also, this system has been upgraded to the Windows98SE and is running
as expected (GREAT) with 88MB RAM. No problems with the CIRRUS
5430/40 Graphics PCI card, the Axtech Sound Galaxy Washington 16 PCI
card, or other devices.

Several years back when disks greater than 5GB were evolving, I think
Ben Meyrs, etc. commented on disk drive inserts relative to the IDE
.vs. PCI controllers and drivers as well as the maximum size BIOS's
and Windows could handle on the IDE. I tried looking for these
comments but could not find them in this Newsgroup.

Also, around 1999-2003 I found an artivcle that mentioned if a BIOS
date is 1998 or newer all of the GBs on the larger size IDE drives
should be available. At that time several systems with BIOS's 1998 or
newer were upgraded with 20 and 40 gb drives on the IDE and the BIOS
and Operating systems used all GBs on these IDE drives.

For this PackardBell Legend 822CDT inserting more IDE Hard disks
should not be a problem (IDE 1 Slave, IDE 2 MASTER and IDE 2 Slave are
available).

But, can this BIOS version handle a disk drive that is at or greater
than 5GB?????

If not, is there a BIOS update to allow IDE hard disks greater than
5GB????

If so, can you provide a link to that location?????

THANKS for your Time, Advice, and Help.

Jerry

I have a PB Legend circa 1995
that came with an 850 meg HD

The bios could recognize 8 gigs...
but with drive overlay software you can go bigger...(such a EZ bios)
as I later put in a 20 gig drive with no problems.

For whatever reason...the machine would not recognize a PCI controller
card.- Hide quoted text -

*Your PCI controller card may or may not be supported by the pci
version on your computer.
*Circa 1995 is to vague.
*Download Sandra sisoft for more detailed info about you motherboard

*Socket 4& *5 motherboards by PB *in general support pci 2.0
*Socket 7 support pci 2.1

*486 motherboards that do have the PCI riser card

Most newer pci hd controller cards are PCI are pci 2.2
I think they once made a pci 2.0 card *that supported *10.4 gigs ata
33/66

Well, when I retired my machine I returned it pretty much the way it
was originally.

One other thing I might was well mention is that when I got the 20 gig
drive...
If I partitioned and formatted it on another machine...
then put it in the PB...the OS *(Win98) could use the full 20 gigs
even without the overlay software.

The only thing is, dos utilites saw the drive as mis-configured...
I imagine because the bios only reported the first 8 gigs...
so to avoid any possible problems I used the overlay- Hide quoted text -

I have no problem with using overlay bios.
It slows it down a little.
Is it really not as bad a people say.
If you keep your unit tuned with a program like registry mechanic or
such as opposed
to one that does not but has normal bios then the one with the
registry optimizer is probably faster.
Old February 23rd 09, 10:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
philo

"metronid" wrote in message
On Feb 22, 7:32 am, "philo" wrote:
"metronid" wrote in message

On Feb 20, 8:08 pm, "philo" wrote:

"jglong3" wrote in message

.. .

[...]

Yes...
I've always heard about how drive overlay software will give a performance
hit...
but I never noticed any difference...
it always worked fine for me...
even when I was using a P1 75 MHz, 40 megs of RAM and win98

Of course later moved the RAM up to 128 megs
and put in a 200mhz cpu