Intel SE440BX-3 mobo -- Max amps from CPU fan header?

Old January 9th 06, 02:03 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default Intel SE440BX-3 mobo -- Max amps from CPU fan header?

Please, can someone confidently tell me, what is the highest amount of
Amps that can be safely supplied by the CPU fan header on my
motherboard model?

(BTW, I already tried contacting the motherboard manufacturer, but they
no longer provide support for my motherboard model.)

Also, exactly what parts could the high current damage and how could
one tell the damage is being done (ex. PC would just completely shut
down one day)?

The reason I ask is because I need to know if my motherboard can safely
power the new high current CPU fan I purchased.

Here are my specs:
old '99 Dell Dimension XPS T500
Intel Pentium III 500Mhz
Motherboard Model: SE440BX-3
Motherboard Version: AA722396-108
BIOS: 4S4EB2X0.10A.0017.P05 04/22/1999
Online mobo manual:
ftp://download.intel.com/design/moth...m/72698401.pdf

Alternatives...
-- I looked into plugging the fan into the power supply instead of the
motherboard, but one tech whom has had experience working on my type of
motherboard found that it would *not* be possible to do.
-- Getting another fan with less amps to lower the current may be
possible, but it will be quite a hassle (for me). I can't buy another
proprietary fan from Dell since the only replacement available from
them is this high current fan. So I would be left having to buy a
non-Dell fan and *rewire* it to the Dell proprietary connector.

I really don't want to have to go through the hassle of rewiring if my
motherboard will be fine with this high current fan. Please help.

Thank you...

Old January 9th 06, 09:29 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

RIVERST0NE wrote:
[...]

Firstly, although similar, the Dell is not a standard Intel board so
any information you find out about the Intel variant MAY not be
applicable anyway! I think you'd be best off using a suitable adaptor
to power the fan from a spare PSU connector, despite what you've been
told - I believe the T series doesn't have the special fan detection
circuit on the motherboard as other Dells have which cause problems
with doing this....

Intel Timeline, Year 2005 Mikhail Sidorin Intel 0 December 27th 05 10:46 PM
Amd-Intel cathy General 1 June 27th 05 01:44 PM
Intel Is Aiming at Living Rooms in Marketing Its Latest Chip Vince McGowan Dell Computers 0 June 18th 04 03:10 PM
Desperately need help installing OS with RAID on an Intel mobo Nate General 10 January 1st 04 07:17 PM
How to connect front audio ports to mobo *Vanguard* General 5 December 17th 03 09:35 PM