Power supply EXPLOSION

Old July 26th 04, 04:10 PM
kony

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 10:17:09 +0100, "Peter Hucker"
wrote:

It's how americans justify being lazy and fat..

I think I understand. Wasting time on something other than eating can't be good for your health :-)

One has to wonder where these stereotypes come from. Considering
"1st world" nations, americans work more hours on average than
most if not all other nations.

Personally, I'd rather be out mowing the lawn for a half hour
rather than waiting on hold calling in an RMA. Well, at least
after the warmer part of summer is over.
Old July 26th 04, 04:16 PM
kony

On 25 Jul 2004 22:37:31 -0700,
(do_not_spam_me) wrote:

"Peter Hucker" wrote in message news:opsbpeo6tdaiowgp@blue...

I was wrong about your power supply being made by Fortron-Source
because a search at
www.ul.com shows that its registration number,
E158036, is for Achme Corp., www.achme.com.tw, a company I've never
heard of. Any passive PFC coil in a Fortron-Source is bolted to the
side, not on the top or bottom.

Achme is a major manufacturer of those rockets the Wiley Coyote
uses. If memory serves correctly, they usually ended up about
like Peter's power supply. Coincidence?!
Old July 26th 04, 04:41 PM
Peter Hucker

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 15:07:27 GMT, kony wrote:

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 09:57:09 +0100, "Peter Hucker"
wrote:

Even without a supply of paid jobs, is not your free time worth
something... I mean, if you had work and work and then more work
with no time to do anything else... Sure it can seem like that
happens to most of us, but that would make free time ever more
valuable, not less so, wouldn't it?

How does a phonecall of complaint (which is nice to relieve stress)take up any more time than ordering another power supply?

But what good would the complaint do unless you followed though
till the resolution is realized?

You are a very lucky man if you've never been put on hold, over
and over again. Will you have the correct phone number
presented, so you can just call and be taken care of as easily as
ordering a pizza out of the phone book? Maybe it is relatively
easy to find phone number (don't count on it), or be forwarded,
but it takes at least a little time, then more time to pack the
PSU, shipping incl. postage, and possibly followup. You may be
on hold long-distance for quite a while.

Companies over there must not give a **** - here they tend to want to keep customers? A few companies have refused, but (especially if you're a regular customer for a business) getting shirty with them helps - especially if you tell them you won't be using them again.

This still ignores
system downtime if you don't have a spare.

A cheap thing liek a PSU - of course I have a spare. If not, bound to be an old machine you can salvage something temporarily.

I can go online and purchase exact make/model PSU I want in under
1 minute.

Have to find what you are looking for though.

If you can get one RMA authorized,

This part takes about as long as ordering one.

packed and shipped in a minute you are amazing.

Fauly hard drive the other week, clicked a few links on the web page under "placed orders", RMA number given, they came and collected the next day.

Some companies make it easier than
others to get replacement parts, but unless you've dealt with
that company before it may be a large assumption that it's
time-effective to pursue it for a replacement PSU that's same as
the one that has failed already.

Before one month most tend to give a refund (or a voucher). In fact I think there is even a law.

Personally, I'd not want to use same model PSU again unless I
could confirm it was a specific isolated flaw, and not having
money-back policies beyond the brief reseller period, I'd have to
wonder if it's not even more difficult to get money back than a
replacement PSU.... maybe it is that easy in the UK?

If it's not too old it's no odds to the company if you change it. In fact they quite like you giving them even more cash for a better one.

We see a practical limit with air-cooling of CPU/GPU and so Intel
and AMD now develop dual-core CPUs

This is cooler?

Potentially lower thermal density, plus that thermal density was
making it "more' difficult to ramp clock speed of a single CPU,
so two somewhat lower speed CPUs (also ramping up in speed) seems
like a natural stop-gap measure.... or I could just be full of
it, a year ago it looked like P4 was going to hit at least 6 GHz
from what I recall.

And what of all this laser and organic computing? Hehehehe - you never know what's around the corner - just as long as it keeps progressing, or http://80.229.155.158/temp/Up%20/****%20creek.mp3

Your memory is more of an
anomoly, usually memory is only mildly warm. It might be more of
a motherboard "issue" than anything else.

Wrong voltage? It's a high end dual athlon server board. I'd expect it to get the voltage correct. Nevermind, I've got a 5V fan blowing stright at it and it's 30C now :-)

Well it would help to explain the temps, if the board was running
memory as well or better than other boards, why not same temps?
Could be the lack of fans in system previously, though I don't
recall if you made it clear, whether memory temp would be/is as
high with a fan or two somewhere in the system.

With the case horizontal, with clear air all round the memory and no fans, not using adjacent sockets, and with heatsinnks on both sides, they were too hot to touch for more than 1 second.

--
*****TWO BABY CONURES***** 15 parrots and increasing http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com

I've got trouble with the wife again - she came into the bar
looking for me and I asked for her number.
Old July 26th 04, 04:42 PM
Peter Hucker

wrote:

It's how americans justify being lazy and fat..

I think I understand. Wasting time on something other than eating can't be good for your health :-)

One has to wonder where these stereotypes come from. Considering
"1st world" nations, americans work more hours on average than
most if not all other nations.

Personally, I'd rather be out mowing the lawn for a half hour
rather than waiting on hold calling in an RMA. Well, at least
after the warmer part of summer is over.

I take it you are not overweight? It is a fact that the average american is more overweight than other countries.

--
*****TWO BABY CONURES***** 15 parrots and increasing http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com
Served from a pentawatercooled dual silent Athlon 2.8 with terrabyte raid

FREE TIBET!!!! (with purchase of 1 mainland china)
Old July 26th 04, 04:42 PM
Peter Hucker

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 15:16:14 GMT, kony wrote:

On 25 Jul 2004 22:37:31 -0700,
(do_not_spam_me) wrote:

"Peter Hucker" wrote in message news:opsbpeo6tdaiowgp@blue...

I was wrong about your power supply being made by Fortron-Source
because a search at
www.ul.com shows that its registration number,
E158036, is for Achme Corp., www.achme.com.tw, a company I've never
heard of. Any passive PFC coil in a Fortron-Source is bolted to the
side, not on the top or bottom.

Achme is a major manufacturer of those rockets the Wiley Coyote
uses. If memory serves correctly, they usually ended up about
like Peter's power supply. Coincidence?!

No H in acme :-) And yes I am rather like the coyote!

--
*****TWO BABY CONURES***** 15 parrots and increasing http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com
Served from a pentawatercooled dual silent Athlon 2.8 with terrabyte raid

It's not what you wear. It's how you take it off.
Old July 26th 04, 08:26 PM
kony

wrote:

It's how americans justify being lazy and fat..

I think I understand. Wasting time on something other than eating can't be good for your health :-)

One has to wonder where these stereotypes come from. Considering
"1st world" nations, americans work more hours on average than
most if not all other nations.

Personally, I'd rather be out mowing the lawn for a half hour
rather than waiting on hold calling in an RMA. Well, at least
after the warmer part of summer is over.

I take it you are not overweight? It is a fact that the average american is more overweight than other countries.

No, fortunately have been fairly athletic all my life, easier to
keep weight off when exercise is on a regular basis... got to
keep the feet moving so moss won't grow.

Americans may be overweight for many reasons though, including a
lot of farm land to produce cheap food, more hours worked = more
fast food or higher budget for food, or just the cultural
differences in diet. Of course there are some who clearly eat
too much and move around too little, but to label a whole nation
like that is pointless as it can't be applied to any one person
without enough further supporing evidence that country of origin
wasn't a relevant detail.
Old July 26th 04, 09:17 PM
Franc Zabkar

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 10:16:34 +0100, "Peter Hucker"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Could someone explain "This little ugly thing is the PFC coil, it will be removed due to the fact that it increase power loss and makes a loud humm noise."? I thought PFC was to SAVE power? So I can just remove those things?

PFC reduces the peak AC current drawn by your PSU. It does nothing to
reduce the *real* metered power consumed by it. Australian domestic
consumers pay for real power, ie kW not kVA, so a unity PF appliance
will provide no cost benefit to me. The electricity supplier, however,
will benefit from the reduced current demand. PFC is particularly
important in heavy industry where high peak loadings are penalised
with higher tariffs.

- Franc Zabkar
Old July 26th 04, 11:07 PM

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 06:17:14 +1000, Franc Zabkar
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 10:16:34 +0100, "Peter Hucker"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Could someone explain "This little ugly thing is the PFC coil, it will be removed due to the fact that it increase power loss and makes a loud humm noise."? I thought PFC was to SAVE power? So I can just remove those things?

PFC reduces the peak AC current drawn by your PSU. It does nothing to
reduce the *real* metered power consumed by it. Australian domestic
consumers pay for real power, ie kW not kVA, so a unity PF appliance
will provide no cost benefit to me. The electricity supplier, however,
will benefit from the reduced current demand. PFC is particularly
important in heavy industry where high peak loadings are penalised
with higher tariffs.

Sorted Franc Zabkar, thanks for the clarification " heavy industry -
peak loadings - penalty ! "

- Franc Zabkar

BoroLad
Old July 27th 04, 10:38 AM
do_not_spam_me

"Peter Hucker" wrote in message news:opsbql1fpwaiowgp@blue...

You have made a mistake. You are assuming I am safe.

I don't understand what you mean, but I assume you want to be safe.

It's not high on my list of priorities. Until recently I was
driving a car at 110mph which had a hole in the floor under the
drivers seat.

Unlike a dangerous car, a dangerous power supply offers no thrills.
So if you want electrical excitement, build a van de Graff generator
or (much more potentially lethal) a Jacob's ladder.

Q-Tec is one which smoked when I plugged a modem into a 64bit
PCI (which it should have worked in - it had the right grooves
in the connector). I blame the modem though, as it also blew
the 64bit bus on the motherbaord. Nevertheless a PSU should
not break due to a short??

Never. Q-tec is so bad that their 500W supplies are made with just
sheet aluminum heatsinks and very small transformers, and if a
technician was shown the interior of one and wasn't told its power
rating, he would probably guess 250W.
Old July 27th 04, 02:02 PM
Peter Hucker

wrote:

[...]

There are far more people who are grossly overweight in America than other countries.

--
*****TWO BABY CONURES***** 15 parrots and increasing http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com
Served from a pentawatercooled dual silent Athlon 2.8 with terrabyte raid

With Windows 3.11, we were on the edge of the cliff.
With Windows 95, we made a big step forward.