K8N-E Question about Powerfan Threshold

Old December 19th 04, 04:21 AM
Christopher Bogart

Default K8N-E Question about Powerfan Threshold

Using PC Probe tells me that the Powerfan is below threshold. Obviously
because there is nothing connected to it.

All fans seem to be spinning. Just confirming that I should just uncheck
this setting for monitoring?

Also, what is the connector for? Just an extra fan?

I actually thought it was getting that reading because I might have
negelected to to put the cable coming from the power supply to the PWR_FAN
connector. (currently on the chassis connector and works fine. I get a CPU
error when it's connected to the power fan connector)

Many thanks in advance.

Old December 19th 04, 10:31 PM
Christopher Bogart

Thanks for the reply.

Got another question.

Receiving an error sometimes when booting "CPU Fan Error, Press F1 to
Continue". All fans are confirmed working.

CPU temperature when booting to BIOS upon boot is about 42C/107F and
climbing rapidly.

When booting into Windows, temperature reduces to about a steady 38C/100F.

Cool n' quiet is disabled.

Thanks in advance for any help.

"Ed" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 22:21:10 -0500, "Christopher Bogart"
wrote:

Using PC Probe tells me that the Powerfan is below threshold. Obviously
because there is nothing connected to it.

All fans seem to be spinning. Just confirming that I should just uncheck
this setting for monitoring?

If there is no fan connected to the fan header then there is nothing to
monitor so uncheck monitoring in pc probe.

Also, what is the connector for? Just an extra fan?

yep, most asus boards have at least 3 fan headers with monitoring,
usually named CPU, Chassis and Power.

I actually thought it was getting that reading because I might have
negelected to to put the cable coming from the power supply to the

PWR_FAN
connector. (currently on the chassis connector and works fine. I get a

CPU
error when it's connected to the power fan connector)

That's weird. My PSU has a wire for the fan also, but it's only for
monitoring the PSU fan speed, not powering it.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Ed
--
PCpTray - Add-on utility for Asus PC Probe
http://tinyurl.com/6bhxe

Old December 20th 04, 03:24 AM
Lachoneus

Receiving an error sometimes when booting "CPU Fan Error, Press F1 to
Continue". All fans are confirmed working.

CPU temperature when booting to BIOS upon boot is about 42C/107F and
climbing rapidly.

When booting into Windows, temperature reduces to about a steady 38C/100F.

Cool n' quiet is disabled.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Do you have Q-Fan enabled? This will throttle fan speeds according to
CPU temperature in order to quiet down the system. (It operates
independently from Cool'n'Quiet.) In my experience, it doesn't work
well, so I just turned it off.

This particular problem seems to be caused by the fact that when the
system is powered up cold, the CPU hasn't warmed up enough to require
the fan to come on when the POST checks CPU fan speed. So it complains
about a fan failure.
Old December 20th 04, 03:19 PM
Christopher Bogart

I'm not positive which one I have enabled right now (Q-Fan or Cool n'
Quiet), but playing with enabling/disabling each, tells me that either both
have to be turned off or only one can be on (I think it's Cool n' Quiet. I
think the Q-Fan stopped the CPU fan).

Turns my 2nd problem with the CPU fan not spinning upon bootup was a BIOS
problem. I had updated to the lastest bios 1006 and for whatever reason the
CPU fan would not spin. I installed the first BIOS version, then upgraded to
1005 and it seems to work well. Temperature seems quite cool now.

Thanks for everyone's help.