what do i need to write DVDs?

Old November 4th 03, 09:13 PM
Marcellus Wallace

Default what do i need to write DVDs?

Ok, so I'm looking for advice on what sort of computer equipment I need for
the project I'm taking on. I work at a talent agency and we want to be able
to put together our actors' demo reels on DVD. Up to now, we have been using
video tape. For a bunch of different reasons that are pretty obvious, it
would be better to have them on DVD. Generally, the reels will only be 10-15
minutes in length. We need the DVDs we make to be playable on standard DVD
players, not just DVD-ROMs or whatever. We also need to be able to extract
scenes from other DVDs and then save them permanently to the hard drive so
that whenever we need to cut a new reel, we can do it relatively easily.

So given what we want to do, what kind equipment and software do we need?
I'm thinking we may just buy a new computer specifically for this task. I've
been given a budget of $4K or so, but I was hoping to do it for far less.
Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Old November 4th 03, 09:47 PM
Klaus

1) A DV camcorder
2) Computer with large hard drive and firewire input.
3) DVD recorder (burner)
4) Blank media
5) Software for editing (most DVD burners will come with this)
6) Time

ink.net...

Old November 4th 03, 10:13 PM
Kevin Edwards

in article et, Marcellus
Wallace at wrote on 11/4/03 12:13 PM:

[...]

I highly recommend getting a Mac. Get one with a Superdrive, and it will
come with iMovie, iDVD, FireWire, all in a system that is very easy to use,
learn, and deal with in general.

There's shareware for extracting scenes from other DVDs, but it may not be
needed if what you're really talking about is saving your own scenes in a
way that they can always be accessed.

For compatibility, you'll want to use DVD-R, but keep in mind there are some
older players that aren't compatible with any recordable DVD format.

Which specific Mac you should get depends on the volume of work you'll be
doing. You might also find that you want more robust software such as Final
Cut Express or Final Cut Pro for editing video, and DVD Studio Pro for
authoring DVDs, and maybe also Toast. It all depends on how much you're
intending to do.

If you want more advice, need a consultant or are hiring, let me know:

Remove AFRAIDOFSPAM to respond.

Old November 4th 03, 11:32 PM
luminos

A PC ca. 1 ghz.
Windows 2000 or XP
Pinnacle PCI analog to video direct MPEG or Canopus (do not go AVI and
convert...the time is not worth it for videotape). Get a
hardware MPEG2 encoder.
DVD Burner-Pioneer A04
DVD Author or DVDXMAKER software.

well under $2K.

see www.videoguys.com for such.

'

Old November 5th 03, 03:22 AM
Marcellus Wallace

Thanks for the input.

What is a Pinnacle PCI analog to video direct MPEG or Canopus? Is that a
video card? Software?
Also, what is a Pioneer ca. AO6? A model of burner?

Thanks again.

"luminos" wrote in message
Ooops...Any Pioneer ca. A06.

Old November 5th 03, 04:49 AM
luminos

A06 DVD+/- R burner.
Pinnacle PCI analog: Hardware and software for analog capture to hard disk.
Canopus also makes such a system.

Again, see www.videoguys.com. They will help you by phone to get the right
stuff for what you need to do.

Another option, of course, is to get a Panasonic DMR-80 for $500 that is a
stand alone (no computer) recorder. Simply plug your camera in and record
(no fancy menus or editing...but it is fast and easy).

"Marcellus Wallace" wrote in message
ink.net...
Thanks for the input.

What is a Pinnacle PCI analog to video direct MPEG or Canopus? Is that a
video card? Software?
Also, what is a Pioneer ca. AO6? A model of burner?

Thanks again.

"luminos" wrote in message
Ooops...Any Pioneer ca. A06.

Old November 5th 03, 05:09 PM
Colon Terminus

Hi Marcellus,

Although you've gotten several excellent responses, the fact is that no
one can advise you without one critical piece of information.

You mention "demo reels". What are these? What format are they in? What
media are they on?

From your post, we know that the desired output is a DVD that'll play on
any standard DVD player. But before we can advise you about what is
necessary in the middle to accomplish your desired outout, we need to
have a full definition of the input.

Without knowing all the details, I'd suggest that you'll wind up
committing at least two-thirds of your budget for hardware and software.
Some of the hardware already recommended would very quickly prove to be
inadequate for the task at hand.

Old November 5th 03, 07:24 PM
Marcellus Wallace

"Colon Terminus" wrote in message

Hi Marcellus,

Although you've gotten several excellent responses, the fact is that no
one can advise you without one critical piece of information.

You mention "demo reels". What are these? What format are they in? What
media are they on?

From your post, we know that the desired output is a DVD that'll play on
any standard DVD player. But before we can advise you about what is
necessary in the middle to accomplish your desired outout, we need to
have a full definition of the input.

Good point. Demo reels are 10-15 minutes long. They are usually a few
different scenes from an actor's appearances on film and television. Some
of the stuff we have to transfer to the hard drive is on video tape and the
rest of it is on DVD. So, for example, what I'd be doing is lifting a
client's scene from a videotape of Friends, a scene from the Swordfish DVD,
etc. I want to be able to have them all on the hard drive so I can cut a
different reel for each actor depending on what job I'm pitching an actor
him/her for. Anyway, we have been doing these on video tape up to this
point, and as you can imagine it's time-consuming and the quality isn't that
great. We want to make the switch to DVD because the quality is better and
because we can do non-linear editing. I hope that helps explain our needs a
little better. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Old November 6th 03, 08:48 AM
luminos

You cannot really improve the quality of videotape (analog) by transfering
to DVD. In your case, I think the Canopus MVR1000 analog capture with a
Pioneer A06 and DVDXMaker or MovieFactory or Workshop is the best idea since
you want to work from hard drive.

Disk Write Erron Brian Walsh General 3 October 15th 03 05:51 AM
cd/rw drive:need one that will write cd text Tone General 0 September 27th 03 01:15 PM
Turning off 'Write Protect' on SmartMedia Cards? Jacko General 1 September 1st 03 01:29 AM
Best software for backup up files and copying DVDs with DVD-R drive? Some One General 5 August 10th 03 07:20 AM
playing DVDs on ordinary cd-rom drives... KILOWATT General 1 July 20th 03 11:11 AM