Kaspersky saves the day

Old August 19th 18, 06:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John B. Smith

Default Kaspersky saves the day

Last night, Saturday, I went to shut off my head phones and heard a
voice coming thru: "We're microsoft your computer is ****ed. If you
attempt to turn it off without calling us we'll **** it up worse". I'd
already shut my browser down but I found a 'firefox' still in the
Processes of TaskManager. EndProcess and voice stopped. Tried runing a
few things and stuff seemed ok, went to bed. This AM boot was sludgier
than usual and when came up my sound was screwed. Shut down and went
to breakfast and to scheme. Didn't know when my last backup was, yeah
yeah I don't schedule. When i got back I put a 2 week old Kaspersky's
2018 flash drive in and booted it. It found only 2 objects, one being
a Trojan. I quaranteed them and booted without too much hope. But
everything was working again! Turns out Macrium backup was only 6 days
old after all, but I'd rather do it this way when I can.
Old August 19th 18, 09:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
🮠Cows are Nice ðŸ®

On 08/19/2018 10:48 AM, John B. Smith wrote:
[...]

Why would you rather do it that way? I wouldn't have much confidence in
the pc after what you describe.

I don't trust Kaspersky either.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-kaspersky-rivals-idUSKCN0QJ1CR20150814

Old August 20th 18, 12:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sun, 19 Aug 2018 13:01:39 -0700, ? Cows are Nice ?
wrote:

I don't trust Kaspersky either.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-kaspersky-rivals-idUSKCN0QJ1CR20150814

Or, aside, McAfee - there's a quasi-biopic on John, a limited-resource
film produced by a woman, whom is out to cut McAfee's balls off. And,
rather scintillatingly, she manages to do a smashup job of it. (_The
Dangerous Life of John McAfee_ Seems he might, in mention, be in that
Reuters queue.)
Old August 20th 18, 01:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

John B. Smith wrote:

[...]

So you rely on a static old version of something you need to boot from
instead of using a full-time real-time anti-virus.
Old August 20th 18, 01:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John B. Smith

wrote:

I don't trust Kaspersky either.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-kaspersky-rivals-idUSKCN0QJ1CR20150814

Or, aside, McAfee - there's a quasi-biopic on John, a limited-resource
film produced by a woman, whom is out to cut McAfee's balls off. And,
rather scintillatingly, she manages to do a smashup job of it. (_The
Dangerous Life of John McAfee_ Seems he might, in mention, be in that
Reuters queue.)

It's Gringo: The Dangerous Life of John McAfee.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gringo...of_John_McAfee

His stuff was the orneriest software I ever tried to uninstall from a
computer. Since it says he had a 'harem of young women', now I gotta
see it. (as soon as it becmes free)

But he never rescued me from a nasty trojan.
Old August 20th 18, 01:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John B. Smith

On Sun, 19 Aug 2018 19:12:44 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

John B. Smith wrote:

[...]

I run free Avast. I THINK the trojan arrived via Firefox. Not sure how
that works?
Old August 20th 18, 10:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sun, 19 Aug 2018 20:19:01 -0400, John B. Smith
wrote:

His stuff was the orneriest software I ever tried to uninstall from a
computer. Since it says he had a 'harem of young women', now I gotta
see it. (as soon as it becmes free)

But he never rescued me from a nasty trojan.

Last I saw of it, he was likely in his prime: some time ago, requested
of me that I install it for another's computer. To be no less exact:
also 'the orneriest software I even tried to uninstall'. Which I
have.

Harem, yes, but you also see and meet them, half-a-dozen women he
kept, women aged into some years older, pictures from what they looked
like when John bought them, being interviewed for revealing all John's
"exacting" sexual preferences. She, the producer, is unrelenting --
wants his balls mounted, and I can't say I blame her. Bear in mind,
filmed in a squalid little Latin American village -- it plays out like
the worst nightmare in contemporary baseness: John moves in with the
literal intent to buy off any impediments, both representatives of
legal law enforcement and the criminal underworld. He owned both.

I've lived more than a dozen years variously across the globe, so I
know what the texture of dirt poor feels and smells like. I'm not
sure that it may appear surreal or distanced to others without a
direct, and no less at times dangerous sense of 3rd-world contact.
That is The Heart of Darkness, and this film is the tip of an iceberg,
located exactly in the middle of it, called Weirdness.

John sent a message to her when she released Gringo: The Dangerous
Life of John McAfee to Netflix. It read: You are the Anti-Christ.

The film is on the torrent circles, and, with John since redeployed,
with active interests in various American business projects, aside
aspirations for the office of Presidency -- a squalid filmed intensity
wouldn't surprise me if its widely, politely and socially, shunned for
déclassé. Although probably widely available elsewhere, among
streaming-oriented sites, on the WEB, and not only torrents.

I could say Symantec is another, but that's just probably their
nature, antiviruses embedding themselves into an OS like a tick. Or a
quack. Careful and with binary backups, I've only had occasional call
for ClamWin - freeware, standalone, and totally unobtrusive.
Old August 20th 18, 10:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
wasbit[_4_]

"🮠Cows are Nice ðŸ®" wrote in message
news

I don't trust Kaspersky either.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-kaspersky-rivals-idUSKCN0QJ1CR20150814

That article is three years old.

--
Regards
wasbit

Old August 20th 18, 06:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shadow[_2_]

John B. Smith wrote:

[...]

A real-time antivirus can easily be replaced using a zero-day
attack. And then it's malware. I once saw a worm that replaced the
AVG, Avast and one other (can't remember) real-tem scanners. I think
it was called opaserv. Even reproduced their tray icons.
A static old version of AV booting Linux would be immune, so
it would be the safest choice.
PS Kaspersky CD-USB does updates. But of course, that would be
risky.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Old August 20th 18, 06:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shadow[_2_]

John B. Smith wrote:

[...]

If you allow scripting your computer is open to the world. And
there are dozens of exploits introduced in every new Firefox release.
So many, sometime I think it's deliberate.

Advice, use a ESR version and harden it.
[]'s