AMD and a hot date to flirt at the horrorshow

Old February 18th 18, 07:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default AMD and a hot date to flirt at the horrorshow

(HexDump seldom-crashed messaged bits&pieces)

CoreTemp and SpeedFan freewares. (And a lot of disparities between
the two and how AMD's implementing sensors. The "tester" may have a
better sense than CoreTemp programmer's treatment, i.e. marginality
for offsets somehow seem a debilitation.)

Best to run both in notification for the upcoming summer. AMD may be
trickier, but 130 F is more like 140 F to me, at least what I'm used
to with AMD, from 350Mhz upwards.

Almost spooky: 70C. ga-78lmt-usb3_v.6.0 BIOS is nuts with all the
options, between the multiplier and AMD's Turbo Boost. ...ways to push
at 4Ghz. Which is very modern.

Turned off the MB's CPU Boost for some vague reason that momentarily
eclipses me, few days, a week ago, and then turned it back on again
today. I can't wait until the summer kicks in to cook.

AMD FX-8300 Vishera 8-Core 3.3 GHz Socket AM3+ 95W FD8300WMHKBOX

-

AMD Engineer Obviously Not

....whatever you do don't go turbo core. I found out the hard way of
how it works. After months of troubleshooting my fps drops in all
games i came to the conclusion that it was turbo core. What turbo core
does it gives it more power when it needs it, so in some situations in
game you'll get these massive fps drops because of turbo core thinking
you don't need alot of power, so it underclocks it self.

ITE IT8620E21

°C 69.8 °F room temperature
30 °C 86.0 °F
37 °C 98.6 °F average body temperature
40 °C 104.0 °F
50 °C 122.0 °F
60 °C 140.0 °F
70 °C 158.0 °F
80 °C 176.0 °F

-

I have done testing on this board.

TMPIN0 is the motherboard sensor located above the ITE chip, lower
left corner of board. It measures a combination of ambient air and
motherboard circuit temperature. Your max temp of 49c indicates you
have low air flow moving through the case, or you live in a hot
climate.

TMPIN1 is not important. (I believe it's an intermediate step in CPU
temp calculation and not meant to be registered for reading.)

TMPIN2 is CPU package plus a constant 15c offset. This is to give
illusion of normal temperatures since the CPU package temp is not
accurate below 40c.

CPU Package is the AMD cpu calculated thermal margin, shown as normal
temperature reading. It is accurate and reliable under load and above
40c. You want this at or below 55c for long term use. Spikes to 60c is
okay but not for long periods. Technically the chip is safe up to 70c.

-

SpeedFan 4.51 added support for 5 PWM controls on the ITE IT8620E.
This chip is a custom one made by ITE for Gigabyte and no datasheet...
Old February 18th 18, 06:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 01:58:20 -0500, Flasherly
wrote:

(HexDump seldom-crashed messaged bits&pieces)

Another aspect (I lost from the original message) was SpeedFan's
inclusion, apparently, of all four sensors;- CoreTemp uses but one,
per se, the "Core" Temp. Of all sensors, a lowest AMD "CPU Package",
variously labeled for Core is at some offset, as well [unpublished by
AMD] a discrepancy for listed at variances between 10-20C, an apparent
average of 15 C being a matter of useful interpretation.

When I loaded all cores, through software capable of stressing them
over distributed encodes, I read a 119 F temperature. Presumably
TMPIN2, or the higher, e.g. of Core, AKA (per tester CPU Package),
Core being in the low 70's F (ambient TMPIN0). However significantly
above AMD's accuracy threshold of 40 C, yet in no sense a precise
reflection, for the sensor TMPIN2 then to appear of most practical
significance for use as a warning or danger indication. And not Core.
(TMPIN0 is effectively useless to me as I don't use a design intent of
computer cases anymore. No different than a thermometer inside a
clock on the wall, I haven't side-panels to my cases.)
Old February 22nd 18, 10:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

wrote:

(HexDump seldom-crashed messaged bits&pieces)

Dahmn Sam - Scratch everything. All those overclocking sites,
forget 'em. They supposedly do not work, as stated, with [all] FX
processors, least not a FX8300. . .

Well, not perfectly, or more or less vaguely, although with some
increasing reliability, as CPU temperatures increase, due to. . .

http://www.amd.com/en-us/markets/game/downloads

AMD OverDrive (TM) is De TaDa Tool that does. Howso? By an offset
from it's maximum temperature, Thermal Max or TCTL_MAX. Which is 70C
for "lidded part" or 158F. (Lidded hasn't been yet translated,
pictorially, from the included CHM file.)

Hmmm... kinda low, 158F, but I'll take what I can get. Yeah, I should
be able to do that, ran at something under food warming-plate temps.

82F/28C: readings viz CPUCore
Tj Max appears to be set, written in for 176F by the author; 18F
allowances for higher than AMD's 70C/158F upper rating.

109F/43C: readings viz Speefan
selected, arbitrarily, highest temperature available from 4 readings:
3 off the Gigabyte sensor bus/chipset, one a K-15 CPU "Core" temp;-
none particularly make much sense.

AMD OverDrive (TM) reports 42C/107F for a Thermal Margin,
or 70 - 42C is 28C;- that is what or is near enough to CPUCore.

42C. . . permissibly more, though, or so according to AMD? Would you
run your clock higher, cores fuller, stressed to the max, in order to
achieve that 42C/107F safety margin? It doesn't jibe.

Wait a second. . . I see something, 82F/28C, is also what SpeedFan's
K-15 Core reading is (haven't figured what the others, if anything,
might mean - 3 sensors ranging from 109F to 91F).

It's pretty, anyway - AMD OverDrive;- some virtual memory/CPU clock
on-the-fly settings, logging, & etc, besides.

Better yet, it's official, over anything else I have yet. I can see I
must either have left on TurboBoost, (pretty sure, *thought* I turned
it off from the BIOS), or this AMD program gets uppity, overriding it
with a fair amount of 400Mhz boosting going on, over the clock
baseline multiplier for 3.2Ghz.

I just don't know. It's all not quite sinking through into my
brainpan yet. It's like trying to do three things at once: walk,
talk, and think. Except they're now to be done backwards - AMD style,
at an offset.
Old February 24th 18, 08:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 04:35:44 -0500, Flasherly
wrote:

Dahmn Sam - Scratch everything.

Basically, with the appropriate BIOS implementation for AMD
PileDriver/BullDozer chips, within my FX-series' heat-throttling
design, short of seriously going outside of default BIOS settings, it
can be run effectively without consequence for heat. Once the CPU
sensor exceeds a safety temperature threshold, the clock multiplier
and frequency drops down next to nodding off. No hands needed,
(proprietary AMD software is optional), it's fundamentally hardwired.
Mine drops from 3.3to 1.4Ghz;- potentially drop that another 1.3Ghz
and a 100Mhz core speed ought to do for a CPU without a fan.

(The subsequent Ryzen build, past a same high-set temperature offset
execution, apparently works with much the same technology.)

Another scenario would be to set the core multipliers to an anomalous
low. Instead of AMD "Cool & Quiet" technology shuffling out
programming inactivity -- between unused cores assigned a baseline
clock, used cores being a proviso for AMD's Turbo Boost -- would be to
set the lowest minimal usage to the baseline core multiplier, simply
then to assign to Turbo Boost the highest build-margin feasibly
obtainable.

Ramping from 800Mhz, lower, much, of course for old, non-gaming
software, to and from a stock publicized 4.2Ghz, to 5Ghz, overclocked,
as it were, across eight cores. At the speed of light, I suppose,
there's little need to stutter.
Old February 26th 18, 05:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
dogs

wrote:

Dahmn Sam - Scratch everything.

Basically, with the appropriate BIOS implementation for AMD
PileDriver/BullDozer chips, within my FX-series' heat-throttling design,
short of seriously going outside of default BIOS settings, it can be run
effectively without consequence for heat.

Yeah, yeah, but my desktop pc's Athlon XP-M (that's MOBILE, the pick of
the litter) core voltage is 1.425v
Old February 26th 18, 06:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 04:54:29 +0000 (UTC), dogs wrote:

Yeah, yeah, but my desktop pc's Athlon XP-M (that's MOBILE, the pick of
the litter) core voltage is 1.425v

Still got one of those...how about that. Intimate, here, with all
them ... right through to the last Barton 2500 and the then first
slotted Thunderbird beyond.

Hmmm...somewhere along that particular scene, Intel came along
swinging with its eyes on AMD. Celeron D for a cost effective
shoot-out. My first non-AMD, since an Intel 386/SX. Overclocked like
a rubber band, too.

Never actually did the Athlon mobile route, although thanks for the
reminder. I recall looking at them, among offerings, back then.
2-3Ghz is actually respectable.

Unless of course cake and icing are on the menu. I'd updated CPUs for
4-generation of speed advances, both AMD and Intel on same-sockets,
until maxed out, through Ebay used CPUs. Every year or so business
pulls, updates afforded me. And never paid over $30 a used CPU. All
quads for the last two, three generation updates

I suspect it was The Golden Age of CPUs, at least pricewise for me.
Then came a retail boxed Octal Core for post-Ryzen, $90 sellout
pricing. That was my downfall. Two, three months ago I couldn't help
myself and bought it.
Old February 26th 18, 10:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 04:54:29 +0000 (UTC), dogs wrote:

Athlon XP-M

If anything, Athlons, and earlier AMDs, as much a condition even now
to me. Those earlier chips, much beyond 110, 115F were potentially a
matter of subtle instabilities and inexactitude.

I ran all these past moving off the generation prior, at its apex with
an Athlon Barton...

Athlon ada3000aep4ax 64 Processor 3000+
AMD Phenom II X2 511
Athlon 64 X2 4200+
AMD Phenom X4 9550

A conservative leeway, I'll give some leeway beyond...
120-125F.

This...
AMD FX-8300 Vishera 8-Core 3.3 GHz Socket AM3+ 95W FD8300WMHKBOX
89.99
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
24.99

AMD says as much for a 158F publicized spec, to translate
conservatively within means someone with a modicum of machine
adjustments, I ought to be able keep below and within a safe upper
limit and arbitrate for 135F. Nothing astounding, then, for a basic
expectation with decent supportive components, not to shoot for a
decade's expected usage.

(
My residual Intel - placed alongside the above AMDs, equivalently
updated four times in a S775 factor - I would tend moreover to trust
above 135F;- I just haven't or rather the build and adjustments
preclude facilitating higher than 135F...
ebay
INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q8200 SLG9S 2.33GHZ 4MB CACHE 1333MHZ CPU PROCESSOR
Qty: 1 $24.99 Choose a shipping service
)

I can play with the extra octal's cores, meanwhile, and what programs
are suited to dispersal across them for the next ten years;- failing
which, there's always *nix.
Old March 1st 18, 09:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 16:56:27 -0500, Flasherly
wrote:

Core Temp lists 176F C_upper threshold

I adjusted, took that down, through the program's user-adjustable
offset setting, by the amount of 46F.

It then reads amount below to reach C_UT is now 130F (176-46)
eg: A 30F reading means temp is 100F

Then, today, I maxed the CPU load out for a neg. Core Temp: -6F
reading.

(Spread-core gain analysis over a directory of 26Gbytes of audio
files;- it's very fast, no more than four, five minutes for returning
appropriate gain reduction tables.)

-6F meaning: 1) either I'm at 136F, or 2) Core Temp's author, by
exceeding AMD's published 158F (18 degrees in addition to derive 176),
gives me an additional 18 degrees lower. I'm not sure I'm misreading
him, where he mentions AMD "won't publish the specs" for an exact
FX-CPU temperature, other than for an allowance of "10-20F"
uncertainty.

That would place me at 120F, if I use the 18F and his mention for
where he's coming up with a C_TH of 176F, when I maxed the CPU cores
out.

I did turn, as well, off the AMD processor Turbo Boost feature prior
to, a day or so ago, loading the CPU down. A BIOS default for TB is
4.2GHz, I had, while running TB, lowered that to no higher than
3.6GHz;- I've never messed with the base clock of 3.2Ghz. I did,
however, notice an immediate 10F lower operational temperature, from
what it had been with the Turbo Boost enabled.

If I'm supposed to not be sure, therefore, maybe it's running "hot" at
120F, which is nice, while not nearer to 140F. Speedfan also runs on
the same temperature sensor bus, and will also derive the "offset"
reading;- what Speedfan does do, that Core Temp doesn't, is as well
provide three additional sensor readings. All temps are linked to the
same Gigabyte sensor chipset -- one being ambient case temp,
potentially, whereas the other two correlate closely until CPU
temperatures rise, for one sensor to follow more closely a higher
reading. A latter and higher reading, still, that I'd offhand say
seldom exceeds 100F (I should have more closely watched for SpeedFan's
upper limit when loading the CPU down today).

Or, possibly, I'm not supposed to be exacting about trying to balance
the two programs into cumulative certitude.

-
Cumulative Distribution Function
(noun) Statistics - a function whose value is the probability that a
corresponding continuous random variable has a value less than or
equal to the argument of the function.
Old July 8th 18, 07:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
dogs

wrote:

Dahmn Sam - Scratch everything.

Basically, with the appropriate BIOS implementation for AMD
PileDriver/BullDozer chips, within my FX-series' heat-throttling
design,
short of seriously going outside of default BIOS settings, it can be
run effectively without consequence for heat.

Yeah, yeah, but my desktop pc's Athlon XP-M (that's MOBILE, the pick of
the litter) core voltage is 1.425v

Vcore set to 1.35v now, and it's stable at that.

Temp warning alarm began beeping, screen went black, then it shut itself
down a couple days ago. I lowered the clock speed and the voltage. A few
hundred Mhz is noticeable, so I later put it back to 2Ghz where it was.
Now I wonder, does speed affect the CPU temp, or is it just the voltage?
No sense running slower if it's no cooler there.

The heatpipe CPU cooler probably met a threshold, where vapor abruptly
stopped condensing at the finned radiator end, then performance dropped
off the cliff. Temp in the room has been very near 100F.
Old July 8th 18, 11:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sun, 8 Jul 2018 18:51:25 +0000 (UTC), dogs wrote:

Vcore set to 1.35v now, and it's stable at that.

Temp warning alarm began beeping, screen went black, then it shut itself
down a couple days ago. I lowered the clock speed and the voltage. A few
hundred Mhz is noticeable, so I later put it back to 2Ghz where it was.
Now I wonder, does speed affect the CPU temp, or is it just the voltage?
No sense running slower if it's no cooler there.

The heatpipe CPU cooler probably met a threshold, where vapor abruptly
stopped condensing at the finned radiator end, then performance dropped
off the cliff. Temp in the room has been very near 100F.

Oh, hell yes, it does. Although a new CPU, say rated for 170F,
officially or otherwise (AMD takes a circumlocutious approach to
thermal monitoring, at least with this BullDozer/PileDrive), can
widely vary. Very. And over chip iterations. I used to, back aways
in some day, try and keep a CPU near my golden mean of 120F. Now it's
anywhere up to 135F, at before I think to raise my eyebrows, with 125F
being closer to a present norm.

Yeah, I hear that. It's hot. My MB's onboard VideoChip, ATI/AMD,
stock, recently kicked in a driver fault error window: something about
an instability issue and that the drivers were being unloaded from the
Operating System. Must be an intelligent little sucker to do all of
that. I anyway reset the BIOS timing setting for the videochip
frequency by a seventh lower and haven't seen hide nor hair of a
similar or related instability.

No - it's not because the heatwicking in the copper pipes isn't
correctly engineered. Those things just don't happen, unless it's a
pretty crappy CPU cooler in the first place, in which case you'd know
or probably suspect as much.

uDie fabrication, over time, where a Mobile Athlon certainly qualifies
for related theoretics, will break down due to predominately heat from
extended usage. All very involved, I'm sure. The conference rooms of
NASA scientists are all abuzz with the implications of satellites
nearing the peripherals of space, originally equipped with 486 chips.

If it doesn't especially bother you, sure, lower the clock and see how
it goes. I would.

(Can't offhand say w/voltage - I tend favor stock, also tending to
think of +voltage as more critical to a threshold of stability when
overclocking. Which I don't although it's very formulaic especially
for the gamers.)