worrying if stability test succeeds but winzip extract fails...

Old October 8th 03, 10:44 PM
dr_hardwrae

Default worrying if stability test succeeds but winzip extract fails...

"V" wrote in message
Hi,

I've got a PC which passes the prime95 test (W2K blend, running for many
tens of hours), and passes memtest86 also running for hours (tested 9
passes).
However if I attempt to extract a huge ZIP file 700MB it gives CRC errors
always in different places.

Memory is PC3200-DDR400 (Kingston - Winbond)
CPU is AMD Athlon 2500+ (Barton core)
VIA KT600 chipset

These are my test results (core voltage 1.65V, RAM voltage: default

(1.55V)
for all tests). I have repeated these tests several times:

CPU FSB 333MHz (1833MHz) - Memory 333MHz:
Prime95: pass
memtest86: pass
Winzip extract: pass
CPU FSB 333MHz (1833MHz) - Memory 400MHz: fail
Prime95: pass
memtest86: pass
Winzip extract: FAIL: CRC errors
CPU FSB 400MHz (2203MHz) - Memory 333MHz: pass
Prime95: pass
memtest86: pass
Winzip extract: pass
CPU FSB 400MHz (2203MHz) - Memory 400MHz: fail
Prime95: pass
memtest86: pass
Winzip extract: FAIL: CRC errors

One conclusion I can draw is that prime95 and memtest86 alone are not
sufficient to test the stability of a PC...

The conclusion I would draw seems pretty clear; your memory has a problem
rrunning at 200 MHz. Perhaps the memory timing is too tight, or you need a
bit more voltage to the memory for it to run at 200 MHz. 2.55v may be the
default, but memory generally requires more to run stable at 200 MHz.

It may also be a problem with the chipset. Try increasing chipset voltage
if available.

Old October 10th 03, 07:57 PM

"dr_hardwrae" schreef in bericht
et...

The conclusion I would draw seems pretty clear; your memory has a problem

rrunning at 200 MHz. Perhaps the memory timing is too tight, or you need a

bit more voltage to the memory for it to run at 200 MHz. 2.55v may be the

default, but memory generally requires more to run stable at 200 MHz.

Thanks all for your replies.

Increasing SDRAM voltage to 2.65V makes the problem go away...

I would not expect these problems with Kingston memory...

Old October 10th 03, 11:19 PM
dr_hardwrae

"V" wrote in message
"dr_hardwrae" schreef in bericht
et...

The conclusion I would draw seems pretty clear; your memory has a

problem

rrunning at 200 MHz. Perhaps the memory timing is too tight, or you need

bit more voltage to the memory for it to run at 200 MHz. 2.55v may be

the

default, but memory generally requires more to run stable at 200 MHz.

Thanks all for your replies.

Increasing SDRAM voltage to 2.65V makes the problem go away...

I would not expect these problems with Kingston memory...

As mentioned, this is pretty common with *all* memory. The Kingston you
have uses Winbond chips (excellent chips used with TwinMos memory modules
and others), which almost always require 2.65v or more to run at 200 MHz and
above.
Anyway, glad to hear the problem is resolved. Enjoy!

Old October 11th 03, 06:01 PM
Ken

"V" wrote in
:

Hi,

I've got a PC which passes the prime95 test (W2K blend, running for
many tens of hours), and passes memtest86 also running for hours
(tested 9 passes).
However if I attempt to extract a huge ZIP file 700MB it gives CRC
errors always in different places.

memtest86 is not really accurate to detect memory stability. Tho it can
find memory defect quite sufficient enough. Errored out on extraction
usually means your memory timing is too aggressive for your current
memory/vdmm voltage.

--
Watch your back when it's time to stab.

Ken
Old October 12th 03, 09:48 AM
BoroLad

In article ,
says...
"V" wrote in
:

Hi,

I've got a PC which passes the prime95 test (W2K blend, running for
many tens of hours), and passes memtest86 also running for hours
(tested 9 passes).
However if I attempt to extract a huge ZIP file 700MB it gives CRC
errors always in different places.

memtest86 is not really accurate to detect memory stability. Tho it can
find memory defect quite sufficient enough. Errored out on extraction
usually means your memory timing is too aggressive for your current
memory/vdmm voltage.

SoundBlaster card?, which MOBO?

BoroLad