Question on Dual Channel

Old October 19th 05, 07:40 PM
Chuck Norris

Default Question on Dual Channel

I have two 512 Corsair sticks running in dual channel already. I have
another Ultra 512 stick. If I were to buy another Ultra 512 stick
exacltly the same, and put that in for Dual Channel Operation also,
would there be any problem? I have seen that having the same
manufacturer is recomended but not really required. Would this matter
any or am i just paranoid?

Old October 20th 05, 04:28 AM
Mercury

There are several things that are important for dual channel:

the two sticks are same
- chips per side
- sides populated
- XxY bit arrangement of bits on the chips
- timings (CAS etc.)

so, if you go out and get exactly the same make model you can be safe
(usually) but not always. sometimes vendors may change the chips on the
sticks (and keep the model number same) so without close inspection of the
chip make / model numbers you can get incompatible sticks even though they
look the same from 2 feet. This can happen because one chip may be 128 x 4
bit internal arrangment, others 64 x 8 (just the way the bits are
arranged) - and they still look the same.

So, moral of the story get the same make model - if you can, but when you do
check the chips on the sticks are the same. If you can't read the chip model
numbers don't buy or its pot luck. If you can't use CPUz and research who
supplies sticks with the same parameters...

CPUz enables you to view these parameters at run time. I suggest you fire it
up and take a look at the numbers it shows to ready yourself......

In dual channel, each pair has to match but Pairs do not have to although it
is best to.

Normally the suppliers I buy off do Know straight up about what they stock
and what I need - lucky I suppose as I never have issue with such things.
So, identifying a local supplier like that is worth the effort so long as
the margins are OK...

BOL

"Chuck Norris" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have two 512 Corsair sticks running in dual channel already. I have
another Ultra 512 stick. If I were to buy another Ultra 512 stick
exacltly the same, and put that in for Dual Channel Operation also,
would there be any problem? I have seen that having the same
manufacturer is recomended but not really required. Would this matter
any or am i just paranoid?

Stability problems with mem in dual channel mode Michael Overclocking AMD Processors 7 October 18th 05 02:51 AM
Need sites, detailed explanation of Dual Channel signmeuptoo Asus Motherboards 2 June 1st 05 06:24 AM
A8V not booting Rob Asus Motherboards 7 May 22nd 05 10:13 AM
P4P800 Dlx DDR Dual Channel Mode Instability - Help? Roadhair Asus Motherboards 2 January 24th 05 08:10 AM
Sisoft Sandra - does it indicate if ram is running in dual channel mode Paul Overclocking 6 September 30th 04 07:53 PM