Firefox

Old June 26th 05, 10:52 PM

Default Firefox

I just spent a week ridding my Dell 8300 from spyware and assorted
Trojans. Anyone have Firefox? Opinions? Can you run both Firefox AND
IE? How would you set the default? How does the email client work?
Thanks.
Ron

Old June 26th 05, 10:56 PM
HillBillyBuddhist

wrote in message
oups.com...
I just spent a week ridding my Dell 8300 from spyware and assorted
Trojans. Anyone have Firefox? Opinions? Can you run both Firefox AND
IE? How would you set the default? How does the email client work?
Thanks.
Ron

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Old June 26th 05, 11:31 PM
Irene

wrote in message
oups.com...
I just spent a week ridding my Dell 8300 from spyware and assorted
Trojans. Anyone have Firefox? Opinions? Can you run both Firefox AND
IE? How would you set the default? How does the email client work?
Thanks.
Ron

We have both Firefox and IE on all four computers. All are set with IE
being the default browser. So far so good, no problems. For some sites I
prefer Firefox and for some IE seems to work better.
We haven't tried the Mozilla email program. Possibly someone else can give
you a heads up on it.

Old June 27th 05, 12:04 AM
Colin Wilson

I just spent a week ridding my Dell 8300 from spyware and assorted
Trojans. Anyone have Firefox? Opinions? Can you run both Firefox AND
IE? How would you set the default? How does the email client work?

Firefox is pretty good, although for general browsing I still use an
older Opera 7.x as my default (wasn`t keen on the update to 8.x)

As far as having several browsers, it doesn`t cause a problem, but for
the majority of sites i`d suggest using something other than IE, and only
if the site refuses to work as it should, fall back to IE. Then send a
complaint to the website telling them to right standards compliant code
;-)

Can`t help with the mail side i`m afraid, as I use one called TheBat!
which is about as secure as you can get.

Firefox has some nice plugins that make it a little more "opera alike" -
mouse gestures is a definite one to track down - it makes general
browsing so much easier - you can right click and nudge the mouse left or
right to navigate forwards or back through pages you`ve visited, and
you`ll miss it like crazy if you have to use IE !

Old June 27th 05, 12:37 AM
Paul Schilter

Irene,
I have both IE and FireFox. You need to keep (as far as I know) to
access the Windows Update site. I use FireFox for everything else. I
also use Thunderbird. All my Outlook info imported into Thunderbird
without any problem. The same is true of importing all your Favorites
from IE into FireFox's bookmarks. I'm using Thunderbird as my
newsreader, no problem. Now I must also say that I've never really had a
problem with IE or Outlook, they're just more under attack by hackers
and such.
Paul

Irene wrote:
oups.com...

Old June 27th 05, 02:32 AM
Dan Sgambelluri

Paul Schilter wrote:
Irene,
I have both IE and FireFox. You need to keep (as far as I know) to
access the Windows Update site. I use FireFox for everything else. I
also use Thunderbird. All my Outlook info imported into Thunderbird
without any problem. The same is true of importing all your Favorites
from IE into FireFox's bookmarks. I'm using Thunderbird as my
newsreader, no problem. Now I must also say that I've never really had a
problem with IE or Outlook, they're just more under attack by hackers
and such.
Paul

I also do use Firefox and Thunderbird

Firefox, I have no real problems with even though there are some sites
that do not run well or even at all with Firefox. Windows Update,
puretracks.com, pcpitstop.com and launch.com to name a few. I have used
Firefox for awhile. I did not like the original Firefox and used the
original Mozilla. I still have the original Mozilla on my computer as I
use it's Composer program to edit my website.

Thunderbird, I do like and was surprised that it imported all my
messages from OE. Eudora, Pegasus and any other email program always
crashed during the import. There is a a couple of problems I have.
1. I like to have my threads in the newsgroups threaded (All posted
Thunderbird only does it in one newsgroup after you tell it to, so you
have to do it for every newsgroup you are in and when you do it, it
expands all of the messages. The option to collapse the thread is in
the view option menu)
2. Sorting of newsgroups. Unless you subscribe to the newsgroup in the
order you want, (ie alphabetical) you have to go into the Thunderbird
folder to edit the listing.
..

I only use OE now for checking hotmail
Old June 27th 05, 03:59 AM

I use Firefox as my default and IE for updates. Seems to work pretty well
for most sites. Launch.com is one that does not work. I kept Outlook Express
for e-mail as I like the way it is set up but will eventually switch over to
Mozilla's e-mail too. I've had no problems with trojans since I started
using Firefox. Highly recommended!
Andy

oups.com...

Old June 27th 05, 04:29 AM
Ben Myers

I use Firefox except when required by the MS Update web site and a few other web
sites which have bought into Microsoft's perversions of www standards. I like
the tabbed browsing of Firefox... Ben Myers

Old June 27th 05, 05:30 AM
Monica

YES! The "tab browsing" is really nice. The browser if a bit faster too.
I have IE still installed but Firefox is set as my default browser. I do
have the IEview/open extension but haven't needed it yet. I do have one
problem and I'm sure there's a fix for it but I haven't investigated it yet.
When I right click on a picture while browsing with Firefox, choose Copy and
try to paste it into an OE message, it doesn't work. I can right click/Copy
the same pix with IE and it works. Anyone happen to know what I need to do?
Monica

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
I use Firefox except when required by the MS Update web site and a few
other web
sites which have bought into Microsoft's perversions of www standards. I
like
the tabbed browsing of Firefox... Ben Myers

FireFox temporary files place a.h. Storage (alternative) 2 April 8th 05 02:45 PM
Ebuyer or Firefox problem - update Tinklemagoo UK Computer Vendors 2 March 21st 05 01:42 AM
Firefox Tweak Scott Gateway Computers 5 February 16th 05 02:04 PM
Firefox slipstreamer? Jack Gillis General 0 December 24th 04 11:40 PM
Dynamic Pixel Shift in Firefox with Radeon 9800 Pro and LCD screen? (screenshot URL included) Erik Harris Ati Videocards 0 June 24th 04 01:39 AM