component recommendations

Old June 23rd 03, 03:01 AM
Han

Default component recommendations

Brand loyality doesn't mean much when it comes to computer components ("here
today, gone tomorrow" in many cases), but I'm partial to Intel too. Price
isn't a big deal so why not.

"Boba & Ilinka" wrote in message
news

"JK" wrote in message

Han wrote:

I'm preparing to build a new machine and have started to research
components.

I have budgeted $1,200 to purchase the following components. I suspect

for
the money the chipset will be i850.

Why Intel?

It's more reliable. Read Tomas hardware regarding what happen if the fan
fell off http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/2001...tvideo-03.html

Boba Vancouver BC

case w/power supply (which?)

Go with Antec. One that is 350 or 400 watts would be nice.

motherboard (manufacture?)

An nForce2 motherboard would be great. There are several
manufacturers. The Asus A7N8x Deluxe rev 2 is very popular.

cpu (2.8 ghz?)

An Athlon XP3000+ 333 would be nice. It is only around $240.
I personally would probably go for an XP2600+ 333 at around
$100. The price difference can almost buy a DVD writer.
There is also the XP2800+ 333 at around $170.

memory (512-1024 mb, what type and how fast?)

2 512 meg sticks PC2700 ddr ram(unless you might want
to consider ram that is faster?)

hard drive (ATA100)
video (nVidia or Radeon?)

It depends on what you want to run? Are you a gamer?

dvd rom drive (samsung, etc.)

Just a dvd rom, or perhaps dvd burner? DVD burners are starting
to get very inexpensive. There are a few in the $160-200 range.

floppy

I already have a monitor (Sony 19" G400), speakers (Klipsch 5:1),

keyboard,
mouse and nic.

Oh.

The machine will be used for productivity purposes, but also for

high-end
gaming (FPS's like Half Life 2, Doom 3, etc.)

Oh.

How far will $1,200 take me?

Very far if you go with an AMD based system. You also don't have
to spend the full $1200 now. You could leave some money for future
upgrades.

All comments/suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Recommendations for replacement 754 MB? /mel/ AMD x86-64 Processors 17 March 27th 05 03:45 AM
System Builder Recommendations: Linux Dual Opteron Workstation JBHinkey AMD x86-64 Processors 5 December 14th 04 12:21 AM
UPS recommendations? Max General 7 September 10th 04 11:14 AM
Tiger K8W Power supply recommendations ? bebopper AMD x86-64 Processors 6 May 11th 04 03:47 PM
Need Wireless Keyboard Recommendations Bobby77501 General 2 November 12th 03 12:48 AM