performance of DDO overlay stripe vs. dedicated controller

Old October 28th 03, 07:04 AM

Default performance of DDO overlay stripe vs. dedicated controller

I am doing a build of a NLE video system using a Compaq Evo w6000 (dual 2ghz
xeons). My integrated ide channels are free so I thought I'd use that to
build a raid0 or 0+1 using winXP Pro. After much research at compaq/hp, it
seems I would have to rely on a drive manufacturers DDO driver overlay to
use 137gb drives.

So my question is this: Is this a bad idea in terms of cpu efficiency
compared to a regular pci ide-raid controller? am I going to get hosed on
cpu cycles using DDO? I would rather not eat up a slot if I have what it
takes integrated on the mobo, but drive speed and cpu is really quite
important. Thanks for any advice.

eno

Old October 28th 03, 11:34 PM

Folkert... THANK YOU! I have been checking back here every half-hour for a
possible answer, you could not be more direct. Thanks for the help. I just
found out that Matrox does not officially support pci raid controllers with
the rtx100 I purchased because they both fight for PCI bandwidth (some cards
have worked for some people on some chipsets) so my safest bet is to use the
onboard ide. Your answers are exactly what i wanted to hear.