Problem with data discs

Old October 15th 04, 10:57 PM
seamus

Default Problem with data discs

I have a problem writing data discs with my PC's combi drive - the drive in
question carries out extraction fine, plays CDs/DVDs no problem and burns
audio discs faultlessly.

When I try to burn a data disc it usually burns the data without problem
then spends five minutes making clunking noises, apparently writing the
lead in,out. Many times a disc produced in this way will be unplayable on
any PC locking up the PC when trying to read it. Occassionally it produces
a good data disc (c. 40% of the time)

This happens with Nero, Deepburner and XPs own facility, I have tried
different media also. I'm not too knowledgeable about these things but the
fact that the drive will burn audio discs without any problems leads me to
suspect the main burning function is sound but it is perhaps writing a TOC
or similar that is not in an audio disc.

Anyone have any ideas or had similar problems - Seamus

Old October 16th 04, 05:09 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://makeashorterlink.com/?A3ED13E69

( No Pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL )
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )

seamus wrote:

[...]

Try first disable xp IMAPI:

Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services, double-click "IMAPI CD
Burning", click Stop, then set "Startup type" as "Disabled".

If that still doesn't work, uninstall Deepburner.
If that still doesn't work, uninstall/reinstall Nero.
If that still doesn't work, I'm outa ideas.

(Also try DAO burn.)
Old October 16th 04, 09:10 AM
Paul Heslop

. --------------------------------------

seamus wrote:

[...]

just curious but why disable IMAPI? When my cdrw started giving
trouble and I checked services it says on IMAPI that this machine will
not burn discs without the service running (It still doesn't burn WITH
the service running either!)
--
Paul (Dreaming of Maria Callas, Whoever she is)
Stop and Look
Old October 16th 04, 11:26 AM
smh

Paul Heslop wrote:
smh wrote:
seamus wrote:

[...]

It's disabling only winxp's burn functionality that's made by Roxio.
That is, disabling it is like uninstalling Roxio software. Because
Roxio POS tends to conflict with other burn softwares, disabling it is
the usual first step in debugging burn problems on winxp.

If you have burn problems, disable IMAPI, uninstall all burn softwares
and then install only one burn software. And use quality media.
Old October 16th 04, 02:08 PM
Paul Heslop

smh wrote:

It's disabling only winxp's burn functionality that's made by Roxio.
That is, disabling it is like uninstalling Roxio software. Because
Roxio POS tends to conflict with other burn softwares, disabling it is
the usual first step in debugging burn problems on winxp.

If you have burn problems, disable IMAPI, uninstall all burn softwares
and then install only one burn software. And use quality media.

Thanks... well it might be worth a try
--
Paul (don't call me daughter, not fit to be)
Old October 16th 04, 07:05 PM
Mike Richter

seamus wrote:

[...]

Try writing the data disc DAO instead of TAO. If that does it, your
drive is having trouble reading the PMA, which almost always means that
a better match of medium will solve your problem.

See the page on the TOC in the primer at my WWW site for more.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old October 16th 04, 08:05 PM
smh

Paul Heslop wrote:
smh wrote:

It's disabling only winxp's burn functionality that's made by Roxio.
That is, disabling it is like uninstalling Roxio software. Because
Roxio POS tends to conflict with other burn softwares, disabling it is
the usual first step in debugging burn problems on winxp.

If you have burn problems, disable IMAPI, uninstall all burn softwares
and then install only one burn software. And use quality media.

Thanks... well it might be worth a try

After uninstalling burn softwares, run these two clean ups:

Roxizap:
http://softwareupdates.roxio.com/gm/...ls/roxizap.exe

Nero Clean Tool:
http://www.nero.com/us/ns4_631940828445001.html
Old October 16th 04, 08:08 PM
smh

Mike Richter (Friggin ****) splattered:

... your drive is having trouble reading the PMA ...
See the page on the TOC in the primer at my WWW site for more.

PMA, TOC, wow, impressed! What about SOB?

Perhaps the TOC got scrubbed?

====================================
From: Mike Richter (Friggin ****)
Date: 9/21/04
Subject: had it with DirectCD

There is nothing wrong with packet writing itself, rather the
problem has been the poorly designed/implemented, and less
than adequately tested, implementations of ISO/IEC 13346.

The problem in fact lies with the error rate of CD media in general
and the specific problems of erasable media.

The impact comes in the TOC,

which must at least in part be scrubbed - erased and rewritten -
whenever a file is written or erased.
====================================

--------------------
What a Friggin ****!
--------------------
Old October 16th 04, 11:13 PM
seamus

Thanks everyone for your suggestions - Seamus
Old October 18th 04, 04:20 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (Friggin SOB) splattered:

... your drive is having trouble reading the PMA ...
See the page on the TOC in the primer at my WWW site for more.

PMA, TOC, wow, impressed! What about SOB?

Perhaps because the TOC did not get scrubbed?

===================================
From: Mike Richter (Friggin SOB)
Date: 9/21/04

There is nothing wrong with packet writing itself, rather the
problem has been the poorly designed/implemented, and less
than adequately tested, implementations of ISO/IEC 13346.

The problem in fact lies with the error rate of CD media in general
and the specific problems of erasable media.

The impact comes in the TOC,

which must at least in part be scrubbed - erased and rewritten -
whenever a file is written or erased.

On a write-once disc with variable-length packets...
there's no scrubbing

What a Friggin SOB!