Next computer for wife

Old November 15th 08, 02:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Frank

Default Next computer for wife

Her GW is getting long in the tooth and having problems.
She is not a heavy user - mostly email and internet - and I'm wondering
if I should go GW or Dell.
Old November 15th 08, 03:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
BillW50

Frank wrote on Sat, 15 Nov 2008 09:04:43 -0500:
Her GW is getting long in the tooth and having problems.
She is not a heavy user - mostly email and internet - and I'm wondering
if I should go GW or Dell.

If that is all she does then maybe one of those UMPC like the EeePC
would be the ticket. And a year ago I would have never thought I would
say this... but with these new UMPC, I never use my desktops or larger
laptops anymore.

If you get one with a SSD (solid state drive). Some come with more than
one, but the second one is slower. Also I would think very hard about
getting one with only 2G or 4G as a first drive. As I would think for
most, this is too small. I would go 8G or larger as the first (fastest)
drive.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 8GB 1GB SoDIMM Adata 16GB
Old November 15th 08, 05:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Frank

BillW50 wrote:
Frank wrote on Sat, 15 Nov 2008 09:04:43 -0500:
Her GW is getting long in the tooth and having problems.
She is not a heavy user - mostly email and internet - and I'm
wondering if I should go GW or Dell.

If that is all she does then maybe one of those UMPC like the EeePC
would be the ticket. And a year ago I would have never thought I would
say this... but with these new UMPC, I never use my desktops or larger
laptops anymore.

If you get one with a SSD (solid state drive). Some come with more than
one, but the second one is slower. Also I would think very hard about
getting one with only 2G or 4G as a first drive. As I would think for
most, this is too small. I would go 8G or larger as the first (fastest)
drive.

I'm trying to discourage her from using a lap top as she does do a lot
of scanning and printing. Thinking of replacing the desktop for now and
getting her a laptop, maybe next Christmas.
Old November 15th 08, 05:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
BillW50

Frank wrote on Sat, 15 Nov 2008 12:10:22 -0500:
BillW50 wrote:
[...]

Oh I see. Some printers and possibly some scanners can go wireless. But
even still, a desktop sounds like the right thing to do.

Old November 15th 08, 06:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Joan F \(MI\)

Why does that matter? I just use a printer with my laptop but it could
easily deal with a scanner as well, you just plug in the USB cable when you
want to use it, unplug when you don't I have all sorts of thing I plug and
unplug, a label printer, an external hard drive for backup, some external
speakers, a cute little USB light on a flexible stem, cameras.... I will
never buy another desktop, they are too confining.

Old November 15th 08, 07:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
BillW50

Frank wrote:
| I'm trying to discourage her from using a lap top as she does do a lot
| of scanning and printing. Thinking of replacing the desktop for now
| and getting her a laptop, maybe next Christmas.

Hi Joan. Yes I know and I agree. Although I didn't think Frank wanted to
hear that. But it would be a cold day in ... before I ever buy another
desktop as well. Even if they were free! LOL Btw, I am living up the UP
and let me guess, you're in the lower?

Old November 15th 08, 09:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Joan F \(MI\)

Yes, I live in Detroit.

I might also add that the type of computer his wife gets should be her
choice in my opinion.

Old November 15th 08, 10:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
BillW50

Joan F (MI) wrote on Sat, 15 Nov 2008 16:46:04 -0500:
Yes, I live in Detroit.

Oh okay, deep south. grin

I might also add that the type of computer his wife gets should be her
choice in my opinion.

I have seen it work the other way too. Where the husband has to clear
everything he wants and does with his wife first. And if she doesn't
approve, he won't get it. I believe this is called as the wife has him
wrapped around her little finger. Strangely enough, most marriages seem
to be this way rather than not from my experience.

Old November 15th 08, 10:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Frank

BillW50 wrote:
Joan F (MI) wrote on Sat, 15 Nov 2008 16:46:04 -0500:
Yes, I live in Detroit.

Oh okay, deep south. grin

I might also add that the type of computer his wife gets should be her
choice in my opinion.

I have seen it work the other way too. Where the husband has to clear
everything he wants and does with his wife first. And if she doesn't
approve, he won't get it. I believe this is called as the wife has him
wrapped around her little finger. Strangely enough, most marriages seem
to be this way rather than not from my experience.

Whatever. I'm asking in part, if I should continue my 15+ year buying
GW's or switch to Dell.
Old November 15th 08, 11:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
BillW50

Frank wrote on Sat, 15 Nov 2008 17:56:08 -0500:
BillW50 wrote:
Joan F (MI) wrote on Sat, 15 Nov 2008 16:46:04 -0500:
Yes, I live in Detroit.

Oh okay, deep south. grin

I might also add that the type of computer his wife gets should be her
choice in my opinion.

I have seen it work the other way too. Where the husband has to clear
everything he wants and does with his wife first. And if she doesn't
approve, he won't get it. I believe this is called as the wife has him
wrapped around her little finger. Strangely enough, most marriages
seem to be this way rather than not from my experience.

Whatever. I'm asking in part, if I should continue my 15+ year buying
GW's or switch to Dell.

Oh well both has their share of models to stay away from and models
which are great. Although with this global economy, most laptops
regardless of brand are made in the same far east factories anyway. So
it is getting to the point where you are just buying the name plate that
is on the case and that is about all.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 8GB 1GB SoDIMM Adata 16GB
Windows XP SP2 and Xandros Linux

help catch a cheating wife Vinny Webcams 8 January 4th 06 09:16 PM
my wife dumped me and this is my suicide note [email protected] Storage (alternative) 0 January 3rd 05 10:18 PM
Inkjet for my wife?? jerry Printers 19 October 29th 04 05:56 AM
PICKING A WIFE cimetière Ati Videocards 1 May 11th 04 01:10 AM
My wife is killing me Tim Gateway Computers 0 April 24th 04 09:28 AM