! I Want to Build a Video Workstation. NOT GAMING AT ALL Whats best?

Old December 28th 06, 08:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Default ! I Want to Build a Video Workstation. NOT GAMING AT ALL Whats best?

Ok so i want to build a good Video Editing workstation.
I use canopus & adobe encore for authoring.
Thoughts on what would be the best Mobo & Video card solution.
I am NOT going to be Gameing AT ALL. I just need good performance, so i would
assume the video card need not be top o the line.
Not looking to put tons into it, but i will for the right configuration.
I'd really love to hear from anyone else doing video editing on the PC.

Old December 28th 06, 11:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Fishface

someone wrote:
Ok so i want to build a good Video Editing workstation.
I use canopus & adobe encore for authoring.
Thoughts on what would be the best Mobo & Video card
solution. I am NOT going to be Gameing AT ALL. I just need
good performance, so i would assume the video card need not be
top o the line. Not looking to put tons into it, but i will for the right
configuration. I'd really love to hear from anyone else doing video
editing on the PC.

Canopus as in EDIUS PRO? Under minimum system requirements, they
specify:

- DirectX 9.0 or later
- Graphics card with hardware-based DirectDraw overlay and 32-bit color
display at a 1024x768 resolution (128MB of graphics memory is required
when editing in HD resolution)

So how's about one of these highly rated silent Asus jobbies:
Review thing: www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2756

If you using other Canopus hardware, this page may be of interest:
http://www.canopus.com/support/hardw...patibility.php

Old December 29th 06, 12:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Ed Medlin

wrote in message
Ok so i want to build a good Video Editing workstation.
I use canopus & adobe encore for authoring.
Thoughts on what would be the best Mobo & Video card solution.
I am NOT going to be Gameing AT ALL. I just need good performance, so i
would
assume the video card need not be top o the line.
Not looking to put tons into it, but i will for the right configuration.
I'd really love to hear from anyone else doing video editing on the PC.

Fface has good info on the video card you will need. You will also need to
pack your system with memory. I would suggest an Intel Core 2 Duo. Which one
depends on whether you are going to overclock it or not. Asus makes good MBs
with the 965 and 975 chipsets, just pick one with the components you want. I
would suggest a couple of large raid arrays to work with video. I like to
work from one to the other for rendering because of the extra bit of speed.
Every little bit counts in that regard. Raid 0+1 or 10 works well. If you
have other storage, just a couple of raid 0 arrays is pretty quick just for
the video processing and a couple of large single drives for storage. I take
it that you have been doing video before so you know how important a lot of
storage space is.... I divide my storage into two distict areas.... Work
space and storage of finished work. I want speed for the first and lots of
space for the second. Canopus and Adobe Encore will eat what ever memory you
have available, so I would suggest at least a couple of gigs.

Ed