Solo 9500 CMOS Battery

Old December 4th 08, 05:59 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Denzil Hathway

Default Solo 9500 CMOS Battery

This group has saved my *** more than once and now I have a new problem that
concerns a Solo 9500 notebook that I bought new at Gateway some time ago. It
sits in my winter retreat home and had been off for about six or seven
months. It wouldn't boot up when I plugged it in this time so I left it
plugged in [I don't use it on battery, ever] overnight and it booted up the
next morning like a charm.

My questions are these ... does the Gateway Solo 9500 have a rechargeable
CMOS battery and where is it located? How long does it last and when do you
need to replace it?

I have been reluctant to open the laptop up and look and have found nothing
on the topic online. Apart from the screen being a little dark and being
unable to get it any lighter, the machine is in remarkably fine shape (with
an unused battery).

Is this failure to boot until powered on for along time reflective of a CMOS
battery problem? How do you change the CMOS battery in a Gateway Solo 9500?
Thanks, Denzil.

Old December 9th 08, 06:11 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers[_2_]

Denzil Hathway wrote:
[...]

Denzil,

I worked on a couple of Solo notebooks, a 9500 and a 9550, but I never
found the CMOS battery. I'm sure it is in there somewhere.

As an alternative, if you have internet access at your winter retreat,
you can download one of several freeware bits of software to update your
system's date and time from the Naval clock or another well-known
source. If you launch the program from the startup folder, it will make
the date and time right immediately on boot up. Loss of correct
date/time is the primary problem when a laptop CMOS battery fails.

.... Ben Myers
Old December 17th 08, 05:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
BillW50

In ,
Ben Myers typed on Tue, 09 Dec 2008 01:11:24 -0500:
Denzil Hathway wrote:
[...]

Disassembly instructions

http://repair4laptop.org/contrib/gat...isassembly.pdf

The CMOS battery should recharge if you leave it on for about 12 hours or
so.

--
Bill
3 Asus EEE PC 701-4G ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

Old December 17th 08, 10:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Denzil Hathway

I am indebted for the replies. Ben, it strikes me that tying in to an online
clock doesn't get me further on since I have to boot to get online. At the
moment if I leave it in standby mode it remains booted but the moment I turn
it off it won't reboot unless I leave it powered on for a few hours.

Bill, thanks for the link.Your illustrations are for a 9550 where mine is a
9500, close enough I suppose although there are significant differences. I
see the CMOS battery, I think. Whether I can reach it and replace it
entirely from the bottom is doubtful. I think I'll leave it for a pro.
Somebody cautioned me though, with the state of laptops these day you might
be better off getting a new one. Denzil