Cannot erase or write to CD-RW

Old July 20th 03, 05:09 AM
adrian

Default Cannot erase or write to CD-RW

I have recently acquired a second-hand Mitsumi 4802TE (a small upgrade
from my original 4801), but haven't managed to erase or write with
some CD-RWs which I bought (Packard-Bell 4x-10x rated). I keep getting
a message about the CD-RW being write protected, although they work
fine on another newer cd writer at my work. I'm wondering if the
problem might be because the 4802 is only 2x rewrite?? I've tried
WinOnCD 3.6 (which came bundled), and a recent version of Nero
(5.5.??) on Windows98 and XP - the error messages are worded
differently, but none of the combinations work.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Adrian
Old July 20th 03, 06:03 AM
Mike Richter

adrian wrote:
I have recently acquired a second-hand Mitsumi 4802TE (a small upgrade
from my original 4801), but haven't managed to erase or write with
some CD-RWs which I bought (Packard-Bell 4x-10x rated). I keep getting
a message about the CD-RW being write protected, although they work
fine on another newer cd writer at my work. I'm wondering if the
problem might be because the 4802 is only 2x rewrite?? I've tried
WinOnCD 3.6 (which came bundled), and a recent version of Nero
(5.5.??) on Windows98 and XP - the error messages are worded
differently, but none of the combinations work.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Adrian

The problem is that you're using HS media in a drive not rated for them.
Frequently, you can get a single write which is fairly good, but they
won't erase in that drive. The solution is to get low-speed media (not
HighSpeed or UltraSpeed) - or not to use erasables at all. You are not
likely to find low-speed media for the computer, but those made for
standalones (marked DigitalAudio) should do it.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old July 20th 03, 07:19 AM
Robert Hancock

You can't write High Speed (4x-10x) or Ultra Speed ( over 12x or so ) CD-RWs
on older drives, they use a different write strategy on the laser, and so
they deliberately made them not show up as a writable disc on older writers.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from

om...

Old July 20th 03, 07:55 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (King Troll) wrote:

adrian wrote:
I have recently acquired a second-hand Mitsumi 4802TE (a small upgrade
from my original 4801), but haven't managed to erase or write with
some CD-RWs which I bought (Packard-Bell 4x-10x rated). I keep getting
a message about the CD-RW being write protected, although they work
fine on another newer cd writer at my work. I'm wondering if the
problem might be because the 4802 is only 2x rewrite??

The problem is that you're using HS media in a drive not rated for them.

Frequently, you can get a single write which is fairly good, but they
won't erase in that drive. The solution is to get low-speed media (not
HighSpeed or UltraSpeed)

Frequently? Is the "frequently" based on this, Mikey?

-----------------------
DirectCD 3.05
Fixes

Some older, low-speed recorders cannot correctly write high-speed
rated CD-RW media, but DirectCD would formerly allow you to try.

DirectCD now checks the media and
will reject as appropriate. === FIXED ???

DirectCD 5.3.4
Fixed:

Burn to Ultra High Speed media on non-Ultra High Speed Drives,
no longer allowed === FIX a FIX ???
-----------------------

- or not to use erasables at all.

Do DirectCD and Drag-to-Disc have big warnings about using the
supposedly flaky, fragile, forgetful, unreliable cd-rw media?

Can you now spare the time to respond to this, Hit&Run?

===============================
From: "BrianT"
Subject: Loosing Disk Space {formatting CDRW}
Date: 5/8/03

Mike Richter (Hit&Run) wrote...

BrianT wrote:

Hi this is strange, anyone else get this? or can explain it
When I re-format a CDRW with Drag to Disk Full Format {EasyCD
6}, the space available after format drops by between 150 and
200 Mgs and I cannot get it back. A full format on a new CDRW
is OK. I have a LG 52x24x52x and use TDK or Packard Bell 10X
CDRW. This never happened with EasyCD 5.

The space you are losing is due to sectors found to be unreliable.
It's a good sign that the disc is developing errors and is ready
for the trash. You'll also find that formatting gets slower; it
takes time to retry verification and to mark the bad sectors.

If you insist on using fixed-length packets, you ask for that as
well as losing data.

Mmm, but if I format a brand new CDRW I get the full monty then if I
immediately re-format, quick or full, I loose 150Mg. Surly CDRW's
don't develop errors after 5 minutes?

Also from your statement "If you insist on using fixed-length
packets, you ask for that as well as losing data" are you suggesting
that the Drag and Drop part of Easy CD is unreliable and should not
be used ?

If so why does Easy Cd 6 have this software and say how easy it is
to use. Now I am very puzzled.
===============================

Old July 20th 03, 05:34 PM
myedved32

smh wrote in message ...
(crap snipped)

From: smh
Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.cdr.mitsumi,alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Subject: Cannot erase or write to CD-RW
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 23:55:41 -0700

Already canned by Newsfeeds? Geesh, that must be a record!
Old July 20th 03, 10:01 PM
smh

adrian wrote:
I have recently acquired a second-hand Mitsumi 4802TE (a small upgrade
from my original 4801), but haven't managed to erase or write with
some CD-RWs which I bought (Packard-Bell 4x-10x rated). I keep getting
a message about the CD-RW being write protected, although they work
fine on another newer cd writer at my work. I'm wondering if the
problem might be because the 4802 is only 2x rewrite??

The problem is that you're using HS media in a drive not rated for them.

Frequently, you can get a single write which is fairly good, but they
won't erase in that drive.

*Can* get a single write frequently, Hit&Run?

Setting up a weasel excuse for this, Mikey?

Mike Richter & "Looooooooonng" Time for Nothing

=====================
From: Mike Richter (cRoxio Shill)
Subject: roxio direct CD
Date: 6/30/02

When DCD formats, it reads back each sector
to be sure it's well prepared.

With a mismatch, many sectors fail which means
formatting takes a looooooooonng time ...
=====================

After the "looooooooonng" time, the least you'd expect is the media is
"proven." Nah, not with DirectCD.

====================================
From: Mike Richter (King Troll)
Subject: Help! Can't copy files to Direct CD
Date: 9/30/02

I'm having a problem with Direct CD. I think it started when I
upgraded to 5.3.1.154. I upgraded again to 5.3.1.154 SP4,
hoping that would fix it, but it's the same.

It is more likely due to a problem with your medium than with the
updates. Are you writing to erasables or write-once blanks? Your
symptoms are familiar to those trying to write fixed-length packets

to an unproven medium.
=====================================

After all that "looooooooonng" time, the medium is still "unproven" !!!

Why waste "looooooooonng" time then ???!!!

cRoxio - What a Joke !!!

Old July 21st 03, 01:42 AM
Tim Kroesen

Usenet Abuse - Continuing Stalking, Harassment and Libel

Additional references to portals that have recently banned this
psychotic for Stalking and Harassment should you require additional
information.