A computer components & hardware forum. HardwareBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » HardwareBanter forum » General Hardware & Peripherals » General Hardware
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Proverbial Computer Question

Old June 5th 08, 09:16 AM

First recorded activity by HardwareBanter: Apr 2008
Send a message via ICQ to Beverly Send a message via Skype™ to Beverly
Default Proverbial Computer Question

Hello guys,

This is my first post as a Howie virgin! Just got that proverbial computer upgrading question here.

I've had a trusty old G4 Mac that sounding rough... it is no speed demon but it works. Running Adobe CS3 etc alright.

This G4 has started to give me those death rattle sounds and REALLY starting to slow down. I figure it is the right time for me to bite the bullet and upgrade to a new machine soon.

My dilemma is what to do with the iMac? I think I have to go with the iMac due to my budget. I REALLY hate that glossy screen Apple went with. Would it work to buy the 20 inch iMac (despite all the monitor issues with it) and buy an addiitonal monitor as the regular screen? The other monitor would be true 24 bit instead of the iMac's 18 bit panel.

The other option I thought of is buying a refurbished 24" matte screen Intel iMac? Do you feel it is fast enough for Adobe CS3 etc? I've been sitting tight and waiting for Apple to release an updated iMac.. it has been a long while for updates to that machine...

I would love a MacPro but it is just not in my budget and probably never will be until the day Apple releases an affordable mini-tower again.

Just torn up about this choice... grrr.

Thanks for all replies!