Completely powerless!

Old July 31st 03, 06:40 AM
jrwalt

Default Completely powerless!

Please help:
My desktop sustained what I thought to be minor damage when I lost power a
couple weeks ago. Apparently a surge jumped my cheap and old protector and
fried my power supply. With my new PS, I can't get anything to "fire up".
I thought the power switch might have gotten a bit of a cookin' through all
this, but I tried to jump the power switch pins to no avail.
Any suggestions please,
Joe

Old July 31st 03, 07:31 AM
Ed Light

Sometimes failing power supplies take stuff that's connected to them along
to the end of the road.

If you can try that new power supply in another computer to see if it's
good, then you'll have an idea about it. Or borrow another one and see if it
starts your computer. Or both. Wow! :-)
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Old July 31st 03, 12:36 PM
spodosaurus

jrwalt wrote:
Please help:
My desktop sustained what I thought to be minor damage when I lost power a
couple weeks ago. Apparently a surge jumped my cheap and old protector and
fried my power supply. With my new PS, I can't get anything to "fire up".
I thought the power switch might have gotten a bit of a cookin' through all
this, but I tried to jump the power switch pins to no avail.
Any suggestions please,
Joe

Dead motherboard, and likely everything else in the case.

--

Are you registered as a bone marrow donor? You regenerate what you
donate. You are offered the chance to donate only if you match a person

spam trap: replace shyah_right! with hotmail when replying

Old August 1st 03, 04:15 AM
w_tom

First, do you even know the old power supply was defective?
Without a 3.5 digit multimeter, you could only speculate.

Second, protectors adjacent to computers do not try to stop
the destructive type of surge - they don't even claim to.
They can even make is easier for surge to bypass power supply
to damage modem, motherboard, etc. Made obvious when you
follow one AC wire from surge protector that connects directly
to chassis and motherboard.

Third, any power supply (even 30 years ago) must not even
damage the rest of the computer. However so many only
recommend power supplies on price. Too many clone computers
are built with power supplies that don't even have that
circuit considered essential 30 years ago. Yes, it is
possible that the power supply damaged rest of computer. But
only because some human failed to do his job - first read
specifications.

Four power outage is not a surge. Surge protectors don't
see nor car about power outages. surge protectors remain
inert until 120 VAC rises in excess of 300 volts. You have a
power loss - approaching zero volts. Any properly constructed
power supply is not damaged by low AC voltages. But again,
did the human buy power supply on price - or use technical
specs to purchase value? This is what you may discover.

Many computer parts could cause your problem. Trick (and it
is simple) is to identify which is probably that defective
component. To get the job done right, quick, and accurately,
the good technician has a 3.5 digit multimeter as found in
Home Depot, Radio Shack, Sears, etc. They are that cheap,
that powerful, that ubiquitous, and that essential.

Motherboard is where power supply controls are located.
Does that motherboard control circuit even get power? Measure
voltage on wire from power supply to motherboard. Voltage
from +5VSB (purple) wire to black (ground) wire must be +5
volts even when computer is powered off but plugged in.

Next monitor voltage on green wire. Should be near +5 volts
when power is off AND should drop to near zero volts when
power button is pressed. Until you have first taken these
measurements, then you have no clue as to what may or may not
be defective.

Voltages on other important wires are provided in a chart
in:
http://www.hardwaresite.net/faqpowersupply.html

Old August 2nd 03, 03:52 PM
Uncle Wobbly

do you have a USB hub with power on it? Remove the USB leads and try
again... long shot but a mate of mine had a machine that wouldn't turn on
and it ended up being the 5V "leaking" back from the USB hub that was
fooling the electronics in the ATX PSU there was a fault condition.

arthlink.net...