a question before i buy a packard bell laptop

Old December 5th 03, 11:35 PM
Colin Wilson

My first CD-Writer (1997-ish) was a HP. When it died, I took it apart and
noticed it was full of Sony components. Is this common throughout HPs
range of products? It was a crap CD-Writer. Broke down after thirteen
months....one month after guarantee expiration.

From what i`ve read about HP`s early CD writers, you were lucky it lasted
that long

Old December 6th 03, 06:21 AM
Mike Henley

"Lee J. Moore" wrote in message ...

I'd rate Toshiba above Sony
anyday...in the present day, anyway.

Yes, totally regarding toshiba and laptops... I recall in 1990-1991
that Toshiba was THE notebook maker of choice... and i assume they
probably will carry this experience through...

that said though... there are things about sony that i like... like
the keyboard... though i'll admit that things started going wrong with
both laptops i got within 2 years...

so perhaps my next laptop ought to be a toshiba or an IBM...
Old December 6th 03, 10:10 AM
Apophis

"Mike Henley" wrote in message
m...
As for IBM, i can easily imagine that they make wonderful machines,
though i'm a little suprised to hear that toshiba, compaq and even
dell make better laptops than sony. I mean, isn't dell known for
making cheap machines...

The main bonus with IBM, Compaq and Tosh is that the warranty travels with
the serial number and not the orignal owner. Additionally they will not try
and squeeze out of any warranty claim like Sony will and all you need to do
is phone up and quote the number to get instant response from the warranty
dept without quibble and fast turnaround if it has to go away. Compaq and
Tosh even arrange the shipping for you.

Dell's build quality has grown markedly in the last couiple of years and
they have become less restrictive on their warranty. Although in writing it
is original owner only, quite often they will honour the warranty regardless
these days. I have only used Dell warranty once - on a desktop machine - and
found it the best of all 4. I phoned through a dead PSU on a machine I was
not the original owner of at 4.00p.m. one day and the courier was knockng on
my door the next morning at 8.30 a.m. with the replacement part.
--

Apophis

Old December 12th 03, 07:51 PM
Ric

Mike Henley wrote:
"Apophis" wrote in message

Seeing as you're used to using Sony's you probably won't notice much
difference with Packard Hell as they're both on a par as regards
quality and customer service - ie ****e

Stick to the 4 major brands - IBM, Compaq, Tosh or Dell if you want
a decent laptop.

while my experience with sony laptops has not been all that
unblemished, usually something goes wrong with them within a 2 year
period, i don't see why that's the case when they've always been known
for build quality, at least for their other non-computer products.

As for IBM, i can easily imagine that they make wonderful machines,
though i'm a little suprised to hear that toshiba, compaq and even
dell make better laptops than sony. I mean, isn't dell known for
making cheap machines...

sony PCs are ok, albeit hideously overpriced (i saw 128MB of SDRAM for 169
quid in a sony center 2 months ago) but their support is ****E. they won't
supply drivers, for example. they sell the stuff like they do their hifi
gear, not realising there's a bit more to it than that with PCs.
avoid, avoid, avoid unless you're buying with someone else's money.

ric

need parts for a "packard bell" Jeptha Packard Bell Computers 0 December 23rd 03 07:36 PM
Old Packard Bell rex downer Homebuilt PC's 3 December 8th 03 03:19 PM
lost system sounds in P200 Packard Bell, need help ~A_Sammy Homebuilt PC's 11 December 3rd 03 08:42 PM
OT : Packard Bell New DJ Software v-tech Overclocking 1 October 26th 03 10:50 PM
Packard Bell is Evil Robotnik General 0 August 2nd 03 12:12 AM