problems with cdr

Old June 29th 03, 11:45 AM
Limey

Default problems with cdr

Yesterday I bought and fitted a LGE 52x24x52 cd-rw. The
physical installation was fine, I re-started my PC (Dell Dimension 400 with
Windows ME) and the new drive was automatically recognised on star-up,
Windows installed its native
software and I checked in the Control Panel to see if the drive was
recognised and it was. I had to download Nero Express as the CD was not in
the box
with the cd-wr. The problem is that although my pc recognises the drive
exists
it will not recognise any cd's that are in it. I can't burn - it just
keeps telling me to insert a cd. I've tried cd-r's and cd-wr's (and I have
put them in right side up!) and they just won't work
It will not play an audio or software cd and if i go to My Computer and
try to open from there it just tells me to 'insert disc'.
help! Intrenally I conected both power supply and EIDE cable via my main
cd drive straight to the motherboard - the new drive is set to slave and
the main drive is CS. Do i
need a patch from microsoft or something?
I could understand if the drive can't be found but it is. please advise.

Old June 29th 03, 02:18 PM
Limey

"nECrO" wrote in message
"Limey" wrote in message
[...]

Strange. Switch the main drive fron CS to Master. It's the only thing I

can
think of right now. (Just woke up!)

nECrO

Did that & when i re-booted it went straight to safe mode so i didn't think
that was a good idea!

Old June 29th 03, 02:30 PM
nECrO

Very strange indeed. did you try to reboot after it went to Safe mode? If
not try resetting it to master and rebooting. If it boots to safe mode boot
into safe mode and check all settings and try to reboot and see if boots
normally. Never heard of a PC booting into safe mode just because you
changed an optical drive from CS to Master. I have a friend that works for
Best Buy(American Electronics Superstore. Can you say price gouging?) I
called him and he says that LGE has the highest return rate of any optical
drive they sell. You may have just gotten a dodgy drive. Can you try it in
another system?
nECrO

Old June 29th 03, 04:11 PM
Ralph Mowery

help! Intrenally I conected both power supply and EIDE cable via my main
cd drive straight to the motherboard - the new drive is set to slave and
the main drive is CS. Do i
need a patch from microsoft or something?
I could understand if the drive can't be found but it is. please advise.

YOu need to have both drives on the same cable set to CS or you need to have
one for Master and one for Slave. Make sure the master is on the end and
the slave is in the middle.. It is not suspose to make any differance, but
I have sound it sometimes does make a differance on which drive is on the
end of the cable.

Computer Problems JosephNicol General 8 October 5th 04 10:38 PM
Install Problems with an Adaptec 2400a RAID Controller! Starz_Kid General 1 June 24th 03 03:44 AM