Normal for UPS battery to make bubbling/chirping noises?

Old November 14th 09, 04:54 AM posted to sci.chem.electrochem.battery,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Normal for UPS battery to make bubbling/chirping noises?

I just installed a new sealed-lead acid battery into my UPS. Turned
on the UPS and the fault light turned on. The UPS manual says that
means that either the UPS is bad or the battery is bad. The UPS
worked fine with the old battery, so it must not like the new battery
- do I need to wait several hours for the battery to charge?

Another thing is that I can hear bubbling noises and chirping noises
coming from the battery. Is that normal? I unplugged the UPS for now
- those noises are a little scary.
Old November 14th 09, 05:30 PM posted to sci.chem.electrochem.battery,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Nov 14, 9:20*am, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article
s.com, writes

Another thing is that I can hear bubbling noises and chirping noises
coming from the battery. *Is that normal?

No. *Leave the UPS unplugged. *It's probably failed and is overcharging
the battery. *Is the battery getting hot?

I didn't try to touch the battery, and I don't think I'm going to plug
it back in to find out!

Did you get the correct battery?

I have a Belkin F6C1000 UPS, and I got the battery from AtBatt.com -
that store has a lot of good reviews. This is the battery I bought:

http://www.atbatt.com/product/22257/...6c1000/battery

Note that the battery isn't shaped like the original batteries - the
UPS originally came with a pair of batteries, and this new battery is
larger than one of the original batteries, but it is not as large as
the 2 original batteries combined. So maybe it's not compatible,
although the AtBatt web site says that it is.

AtBatt also has this other battery they say is compatible with my UPS
- it is actually a pair of batteries just like the original ones, but
it is out of stock:

http://www.atbatt.com/product/21656/...-tw-rk/battery

Maybe I'll try to get that battery if it ever comes in stock, I really
like this UPS. But for now I'll have to go get another UPS. Thanks.
Old November 14th 09, 08:01 PM posted to sci.chem.electrochem.battery,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

wrote:
[...]

Belkin is partly to blame, for having so many models with the same
root part number.

This one

http://www.belkin.com/support/downlo...1000-TW-RK.pdf

looks consistent with this pair.

http://www.atbatt.com/product/21656/...-tw-rk/battery

Perhaps you were applying 24 volts to a single 12 volt battery ?

Paul
Old November 14th 09, 08:10 PM posted to sci.chem.electrochem.battery,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GlowingBlueMist[_6_]

wrote:
[...]

I don't have a user manual handy for your model but if it was using two of
the above 21656 batteries, which are 12 volts, then most likely your system
had them wired in series which makes your charging circuit run at 24 volts.
Placing only one 12 volt battery in a 24 volt charging circuit would cause
the new battery to internally over heat, short out, and possibly blow up.

Find a user or maintenance manual or diagram that shows how the original (2)
batteries were installed and duplicate that with two totally NEW 12 volt
batteries and you have a chance of making your UPS work again, provided you
have not already damaged it's charging circuit by hooking up only one
battery.

You also do not want to hook up two batteries of different models as they
most likely would not have the same charging rate, one battery would usually
over-charge while the other would under-charge.

Them telling you the alternate battery was a suitable replacement may have
been true, provided you replaced both existing batteries with two of the new
models, and hook the new batteries up exactly as the old one(s) were. UPS
batteries in units that have multiple batteries are normally replaced all at
the same time as a set, when they start to die of old age or heavy use.
This is to keep the charging capacity of all of the batteries at or near the
same rate.

Do not try and reuse the (new) battery you have already damaged, consider it
trash and get two new batteries.

Old November 14th 09, 09:38 PM posted to sci.chem.electrochem.battery,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
nobody >[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

This is a single 12 volt, 7 amp-hour at $22.36
http://www.powersonic.com/site/doc/prod/86.pdf
I can probably get the same price locally

AtBatt also has this other battery they say is compatible with my UPS
- it is actually a pair of batteries just like the original ones, but
it is out of stock:

http://www.atbatt.com/product/21656/...-tw-rk/battery

This is 2 12 volt batts at 5 amp-hours each, total 10 AH for $30.59
http://www.powersonic.com/site/doc/prod/88.pdf
Same deal here, similar price locally

Maybe I'll try to get that battery if it ever comes in stock, I really
like this UPS. But for now I'll have to go get another UPS. Thanks.

Both these batteries are standard sizes, 1250 and 1270.

The pair of 1250's is the better option, the more amp-hours, the better.

You should be able to get them locally at a battery specialty store,
they are also used in alarm systems, emergency lighting, medical
systems, etc. Look for an Interstate Battery store..
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/c...r/Default.aspx

There is the possibility that the new batt pack was mostly discharged
when you got it. Many UPSs have problems "bringing up" a very low
battery and go into a "too high" charge rate, causing the bubbling
noises. The battery shouldn't have been shipped to you like that.
If you are more or less stuck with it, (as in it's not worth $22 in
hassles to return it..), see if you can borrow a motorcycle battery
trickle charger from someone or buy one, ($5-10) and bring it up that way.

If you do replace your UPS, I personally don't like Belkin. I'm not
saying APC or Tripplite is massively better, but that's my opinion.

Think about stepping up to a 1200 VA unit, and look at the amp-hour
rating of the battery(s). The more AH, the longer the run-time.
Old November 14th 09, 09:43 PM posted to sci.chem.electrochem.battery,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
nobody >[_2_]

Intentionally top-posting here..

I forgot to add that buying batteries locally also gives you faster
customer service when you have problems like this.