hard drive diagnosis tools, program wanted

Old May 21st 08, 07:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Tony Tee

Default hard drive diagnosis tools, program wanted

Hi, I am getting issues with my 2nd HDD (not the one with OS on) after a
couple of years of healthy use.

Its got to the point where I've disconnected it for the time being, as with
it being connected its only a matter of time before my pc freezes and
reboots and gives me errors upon reboot etc.

Is there any software I can use to run some hardware diagnosis checks?

I've tried the windows own one, it says its healthy in the status, but locks
up everytime i get to phase 4 of the scan disk.

Cheers for any pointers in helping me diagnosis my pc problem.

Tony

Old May 21st 08, 08:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Ken Maltby

"Tony Tee" wrote in message
Hi, I am getting issues with my 2nd HDD (not the one with OS on) after a
couple of years of healthy use.

Its got to the point where I've disconnected it for the time being, as
with it being connected its only a matter of time before my pc freezes and
reboots and gives me errors upon reboot etc.

Is there any software I can use to run some hardware diagnosis checks?

I've tried the windows own one, it says its healthy in the status, but
locks up everytime i get to phase 4 of the scan disk.

Cheers for any pointers in helping me diagnosis my pc problem.

Tony

The hard drive makers often provide diagnosis programs
for download from their web sites.

Luck;
Ken

Old May 21st 08, 09:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Rod Speed

Tony Tee wrote:
Hi, I am getting issues with my 2nd HDD (not the one with OS on)
after a couple of years of healthy use.

Its got to the point where I've disconnected it for the time being,
as with it being connected its only a matter of time before my pc
freezes and reboots and gives me errors upon reboot etc.

Is there any software I can use to run some hardware diagnosis checks?

I've tried the windows own one, it says its healthy in the status,
but locks up everytime i get to phase 4 of the scan disk.

Cheers for any pointers in helping me diagnosis my pc problem.

Post the Everest SMART report for the drive.

Old May 21st 08, 10:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Tony Tee

Before I post the results of the everest smart for the drives. just wanted
to say noticed that it listed the 2nd HDD (no operating system on that one)
i'm having probs with as Drive 1, partition type LDM, whilst listing my C
drive as Drive 2, partition type NTFS.

If that means anything to you? (Why 2 different types, and why listed in
wrong booting numerical order? Although it might be me to blame for that
tryign to get the damn thing to boot up after I got that trojan which
appeared to kill my pc dead for a bit until i got the booting sequence all
in order on the mother board).

Back ground info: I've been getting probs with the system since i got a
trojan which appeared to reverse the booting order of the HDD's in the bios
and rendering my system unbootable until I switched the leads around on the
motherboard to get them to boot up in the right order again.

--------[
ATA ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ SAMSUNG SP0812C (0693J1FX214053) ]

ATA Device Properties:
Model ID SAMSUNG SP0812C
Serial Number 0693J1FX214053
Revision SU100-27
Parameters 155127 cylinders, 16
heads, 63 sectors per track, 554 bytes per sector
LBA Sectors 156368016
Buffer 8 MB (Dual Ported,
Read Ahead)
Multiple Sectors 16
ECC Bytes 4
Max. PIO Transfer Mode PIO 4
Max. UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 6 (ATA-133)
Active UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 0
Unformatted Capacity 82615 MB

ATA Device Features:
SMART Supported
Security Mode Supported
Power Management Supported
Advanced Power Management Not Supported
Write Cache Supported
Host Protected Area Supported
Power-Up In Standby Not Supported
Automatic Acoustic Management Supported
48-bit LBA Supported
Device Configuration Overlay Supported

ATA Device Physical Info:
Manufacturer Samsung
Hard Disk Family SpinPoint P80
Form Factor 3.5"
Formatted Capacity 80 GB
Disks 1
Recording Surfaces 2
Physical Dimensions 146.05 x 101.6 x
25.4 mm
Max. Weight 635 g
Average Rotational Latency 4.17 ms
Rotational Speed 7200 RPM
Max. Internal Data Rate 840 Mbit/s
Average Seek 8.9 ms
Track-To-Track Seek 0.8 ms
Full Seek 18 ms
Interface SATA
Buffer-to-Host Data Rate 150 MB/s
Buffer Size 8 MB
Spin-Up Time 7 sec

ATA Device Manufacturer:
Company Name Samsung
Product Information
http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/index.htm

[ SAMSUNG SP0812C (0693J1FX214366) ]

ATA Device Properties:
Model ID SAMSUNG SP0812C
Serial Number 0693J1FX214366
[...]

01 Raw Read Error Rate 51 100 100 0 OK:
Value is normal
03 Spin Up Time 0 79 75 4096 OK:
Always passing
04 Start/Stop Count 0 100 100 790 OK:
Always passing
05 Reallocated Sector Count 11 100 100 0 OK:
Value is normal
07 Seek Error Rate 51 100 100 0 OK:
Value is normal
08 Seek Time Performance 0 100 100 0 OK:
Always passing
09 Power-On Time Count 0 98 98 1363095 OK:
Always passing
0A Spin Retry Count 51 100 100 0 OK:
Value is normal
0C Power Cycle Count 0 100 100 781 OK:
Always passing
C2 Temperature 0 148 103 30 OK:
Always passing
C3 Hardware ECC Recovered 0 1 1 196753249 OK:
Always passing
C4 Reallocation Event Count 0 100 100 0 OK:
Always passing
C5 Current Pending Sector Count 11 100 100 0 OK:
Value is normal
C6 Off-Line Uncorrectable Sector Count 11 100 100 0 OK:
Value is normal
C7 Ultra ATA CRC Error Rate 0 200 200 6 OK:
Always passing
C8 Write Error Rate 51 100 100 0 OK:
Value is normal
C9 vendor-specific 51 100 100 0 OK:
Value is normal

[ SAMSUNG SP0812C (0693J1FX214366) ]

01 Raw Read Error Rate 51 100 100 141 OK:
Value is normal
03 Spin Up Time 0 80 58 3968 OK:
Always passing
04 Start/Stop Count 0 100 100 786 OK:
Always passing
05 Reallocated Sector Count 11 100 100 0 OK:
Value is normal
07 Seek Error Rate 51 100 100 0 OK:
Value is normal
08 Seek Time Performance 0 100 100 0 OK:
Always passing
09 Power-On Time Count 0 97 97 2146644 OK:
Always passing
0A Spin Retry Count 51 100 100 0 OK:
Value is normal
0C Power Cycle Count 0 100 100 763 OK:
Always passing
C2 Temperature 0 136 91 34 OK:
Always passing
C3 Hardware ECC Recovered 0 1 1 277868002 OK:
Always passing
C4 Reallocation Event Count 0 100 100 2 OK:
Always passing
C5 Current Pending Sector Count 11 100 100 0 OK:
Value is normal
C6 Off-Line Uncorrectable Sector Count 11 100 100 2 OK:
Value is normal
C7 Ultra ATA CRC Error Rate 0 200 198 0 OK:
Always passing
C8 Write Error Rate 51 100 100 0 OK:
Value is normal
C9 vendor-specific 51 100 100 0 OK:
Value is normal

Is that what you needed?

cheers for any insight there.

Old May 21st 08, 11:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Tony Tee

I haven't rebooted since i booted up with the 2nd HDD connected for the
report, but I could see it listed in My computer until just now when its
disappeared altogether and doesnt even seem to be on the pc now so can't
navigate to any of the files I have on there.. so I've done another scan
with it in this invisible state too...(even though the everest scan seems to
see it fine?)

--------[
[...]

03 Spin Up Time 0 80 75 3968 OK:
Always passing
04 Start/Stop Count 0 100 100 791 OK:
Always passing
05 Reallocated Sector Count 11 100 100 0 OK:
Value is normal
07 Seek Error Rate 51 100 100 0 OK:
Value is normal
08 Seek Time Performance 0 100 100 0 OK:
Always passing
09 Power-On Time Count 0 98 98 1363198 OK:
Always passing
0A Spin Retry Count 51 100 100 0 OK:
Value is normal
0C Power Cycle Count 0 100 100 782 OK:
Always passing
C2 Temperature 0 145 103 31 OK:
Always passing
C3 Hardware ECC Recovered 0 1 1 196755208 OK:
Always passing
C4 Reallocation Event Count 0 100 100 0 OK:
Always passing
C5 Current Pending Sector Count 11 100 100 0 OK:
Value is normal
C6 Off-Line Uncorrectable Sector Count 11 100 100 0 OK:
Value is normal
C7 Ultra ATA CRC Error Rate 0 200 200 6 OK:
Always passing
C8 Write Error Rate 51 100 100 0 OK:
Value is normal
C9 vendor-specific 51 100 100 0 OK:
Value is normal

[ SAMSUNG SP0812C (0693J1FX214366) ]

01 Raw Read Error Rate 51 100 100 141 OK:
Value is normal
03 Spin Up Time 0 80 58 3968 OK:
Always passing
04 Start/Stop Count 0 100 100 787 OK:
Always passing
05 Reallocated Sector Count 11 100 100 0 OK:
Value is normal
07 Seek Error Rate 51 100 100 0 OK:
Value is normal
08 Seek Time Performance 0 100 100 0 OK:
Always passing
09 Power-On Time Count 0 97 97 2146711 OK:
Always passing
0A Spin Retry Count 51 100 100 0 OK:
Value is normal
0C Power Cycle Count 0 100 100 764 OK:
Always passing
C2 Temperature 0 139 91 33 OK:
Always passing
C3 Hardware ECC Recovered 0 1 1 277993009 OK:

Old May 22nd 08, 12:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
code_wrong[_2_]

"Tony Tee" wrote in message

Back ground info: I've been getting probs with the system since i got a
trojan which appeared to reverse the booting order of the HDD's in the
bios and rendering my system unbootable until I switched the leads around
on the motherboard to get them to boot up in the right order again.

That's a pretty nasty trojan .. I hope you did a clean install of the OS.

you swapped the data cables ... did you remember to set the jumper switches
on the hard drives?

Old May 22nd 08, 12:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Tony Tee

I just used my anti virus and anti spyware software combined with the online
scanners such as one care, trend micro, and panda scan.

I was unaware that there was any jumper settings to set/switch on sata hard
drives. The hard drives dont actually need to change anyway, as the one with
my operating system on still requires to be the primary as it was before,
don't know how it got reversed around to be the 2nd one to boot from, I
assumed the trojan was to blame, but could just be a coincidence, you never
know.

"code_wrong" wrote in
message ...

Old May 22nd 08, 12:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
larry moe 'n curly

Tony Tee wrote:

Hi, I am getting issues with my 2nd HDD (not the one with OS on) after a
couple of years of healthy use.

Its got to the point where I've disconnected it for the time being, as with
it being connected its only a matter of time before my pc freezes and
reboots and gives me errors upon reboot etc.

Is there any software I can use to run some hardware diagnosis checks?

I've tried the windows own one, it says its healthy in the status, but locks
up everytime i get to phase 4 of the scan disk.

Back ground info: I've been getting probs with the system since i got a
trojan which appeared to reverse the booting order of the HDD's in the bios
and rendering my system unbootable until I switched the leads around on the
motherboard to get them to boot up in the right order again.

I'd run a virus scan. There are several legitimate ones available
free online, including from Symantec, Trend Micro, McAfee, Kaspersky,
Bit Defender, PC Pitstop, etc., but most will only detect malware, not
fix it, unless you buy their software. Bit Defender is an exception,
and for one problem I had (computer slowed greatly), it was the only
thing that worked, in conjunction with SmithFraudFix. Also
Grisoft.com has a decent computer security package, AVG, including a
free version you can download. Whatever you use, note all the malware
detected because it's possible that the anti-virus program won't be
able to fix it by itself, and you'll have to use a program written for
only specific malware or even do the fix manually.

If you have no luck, get HijackThis and post the results in a forum of
a website that specializes in computer security, like
SpywareWarrior.com.
Old May 22nd 08, 12:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Tony Tee

Thanks but i've comprehensively exhausted the
anti-virus/spyware/adware/BHO's/malware/greyware/nasties/vulnerabilities
line of investigations and the pc is now as clean as a whistle in that
regard, having been through many major softwares and online scans which I am
used to doing, even for others to help fix their pc's from the nasties they
pick up, so i'm very confident its either the hardware or the settings.

thanks again.

Old May 22nd 08, 01:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Ken Maltby

"Ken Maltby" wrote in message

"Tony Tee" wrote in message
Hi, I am getting issues with my 2nd HDD (not the one with OS on) after a
couple of years of healthy use.

Its got to the point where I've disconnected it for the time being, as
with it being connected its only a matter of time before my pc freezes
and reboots and gives me errors upon reboot etc.

Is there any software I can use to run some hardware diagnosis checks?

I've tried the windows own one, it says its healthy in the status, but
locks up everytime i get to phase 4 of the scan disk.

Cheers for any pointers in helping me diagnosis my pc problem.

Tony

The hard drive makers often provide diagnosis programs
for download from their web sites.

Luck;
Ken

For Samsung

http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...s/ES_Tool.html

Diagnostic tools for Quantum IDE Hard Drive? Ian R Storage (alternative) 2 October 18th 07 10:47 PM
s/w diagnosis tools for hardware - any good? Gary Roach General 1 December 6th 04 10:42 AM
hard drive wanted dawn news General 10 November 16th 03 06:20 AM
WANTED - Hard Drive Rabro General 3 November 13th 03 01:17 AM
Query: Program to reassign Drive letters after removing second hard drive? Some One General 1 August 9th 03 07:05 PM