simple finding IP address to use, come on, help a moron

Old March 5th 05, 05:42 AM
Si Ballenger

On 4 Mar 2005 11:15:25 -0800, "chuck"
wrote:

Thanks for the help but I still can't get it. I have pinged what I
thought was the camera and I have pinged the computer, it all can\me
back great:
Since I cant get it all I need is fore someone to show me how to again
pop up the cam access, here is all of my info (I have no option) u can
look around my apartment ;-)
68.66.97.9 is my ip address (it is cable but doesn't really change)
I pinged 68.66.97.102 (my cam) and the ping came back ok, I pinged my
computer and it came back ok. I type in the IP address
http://68.66.97.102 and I get nothing, I try 102:81(changing the end)
and I get nothing. Where am I going wrong (besides blasting my info on
the web ;-)

I think I see your problem. You have assigned internet routable
IP address to the computers behind your router. You need to use
lan IP addresses like 192.168.0.102 for your cam, then set your
router to foward incomming traffic to that internal IP address.
The below link shows the basics of setting up webcams behind
routers.

http://www.sonicjay.com/cam/cam_how_to.htm
Old March 5th 05, 11:29 PM
chuck

I can't see where I am going wrong
it pings 68.66.97.9
it pings 68.66.97.101
it pings 68.66.97.103
it was pinging on 102.
68.66.97.9 gets ya in, 101 is comuter, 103 should be cam , should be
:1025

LAN 192.168.1.1 gets ya in the router setting to see thats ok..cam ip
is 192.168.1.103
http://192.168.1.103:1025/ is loging onto the veo cam from the veocam
set up menu
where are I going wrong? I cant view it over the net.

please feel free to check out the settings, I have no gold stored on
computer ;-)
user admin pass password
thanks, I have all of the IP numbers, I just cant get the combination I
guess.

And if my wife is running around the house naked please don't mind, she
thinks its me watching her Heh heh heh ;-)
Now maybe someone will help me get it working over the net ;-)
Chuck

Old March 6th 05, 12:40 AM
Si Ballenger

On 5 Mar 2005 15:29:17 -0800, "chuck"
wrote:

I can't see where I am going wrong
it pings 68.66.97.9
it pings 68.66.97.101
it pings 68.66.97.103
it was pinging on 102.
68.66.97.9 gets ya in, 101 is comuter, 103 should be cam , should be
:1025

Internally on your lan, you can assign IP numbers and they will
generally work if they are in the same subnet (numbrs after the
last . in the IP address). These won't work from the outside.
Your ISP has assigned 68.66.97.9 to you (your router). Unless you
have made some special arrangement with your ISP to also have the
other three assigned to you, they probably belong to somebody
else (very similar to telephone numbers), and request to them
will go to somebody elses place.

LAN 192.168.1.1 gets ya in the router setting to see thats ok..cam ip
is 192.168.1.103
http://192.168.1.103:1025/ is loging onto the veo cam from the veocam
set up menu
where are I going wrong? I cant view it over the net.

192.168.x.x IP address are internal to the lan and can' be
directly accessed from the outside. If your cam has an internal
IP address of 192.168.1.103 and is operating on port1025, then
you would set your router's virtural server settings to foward
incomming traffic on port 1025 to the internal IP address of
192.168.1.103, which is the cam. Then to see the cam from the
outside you would use http://68.66.97.9:1025 as your url. Take
another look at the below link and you will probably see the
correct setup now.

http://www.sonicjay.com/cam/cam_how_to.htm

please feel free to check out the settings, I have no gold stored on
computer ;-)
user admin pass password
thanks, I have all of the IP numbers, I just cant get the combination I
guess.

And if my wife is running around the house naked please don't mind, she
thinks its me watching her Heh heh heh ;-)
Now maybe someone will help me get it working over the net ;-)

Promises, promises, promises... ;-)

Old March 6th 05, 05:05 AM
bumtracks

And if my wife is running around the house naked please don't mind, she
thinks its me watching her Heh heh heh ;-)

you didnt give us your router wan port to access it for a look see.

Some Routers will not do LoopBack ie; enter WAN from within the LAN , so
you may not be able to access it locally by the wanIP 68.66.97.9:1025 or
whatever port you've set as the outside wanPort# that will forward to
192.168.1.103 ......

Old March 6th 05, 06:57 AM
chuck

I got it, C Ballenger had the trick, thanks guys ! I appreciate all of
your help!

.....and leave my wife alone! ;-)

heh heh heh
Thanks a million, man this is good to be back.

Thanks for the great info and assistance!
Chuck

Old March 6th 05, 12:58 PM
bumtracks

unless i was knocking on your router door,
i got asked for cam login & password.

red screen said I wasn't Arthur or something,

Old March 6th 05, 05:45 PM
chuck

Sorry, I thought I had it, all of the usernames and pass are set as I
mentiooned, the roiuter, etc. Please let me know if you can get in and
what the wan address is to se my cam, thanks
Chuck

Old March 6th 05, 07:28 PM
bumtracks

I connected & snooped around inside router - not familure with Linksys,,,
looks cool though. I swear I didnt change anything, much What model#?

Port 1025 I'd suggest you try another port .... change that to maybe 8881
or thru 8887 which are unassigned. The Port 1025 is used for Microsoft RPC
services plus its pretty well used in past for internet exploits, your isp
might block it as a precaution.

Try a different port cross fingers.

Old March 6th 05, 11:18 PM
chuck

Cool, so were you able to see the cam or get the prompt for user and
pass to the cam? Please if you can check it out and let me know what
the URL is from afar. I know the ISP blocks 80, it was working with 2
cams but my kid jacked it around a bit. I found router set for warcraft
!?!?! So he was in deep. But thanks, like I said its no gold mine
there. I appreciate the help and honesty.
Let me know and thanks man!
Chuck