Anyone ever fix a bad motherboard?

Old June 6th 15, 04:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Anyone ever fix a bad motherboard?

On Fri, 05 Jun 2015 03:21:34 -0400, Al Drake
wrote:

The new systems I use at work still use Windows XP to run their
software. If we were to purchase one tomorrow that wouldn't have changed.
http://www.southwesternindustries.com/

At work, there was a dedicated system, which I didn't screw with,
mostly. Not really all that good, either, as the police, when they
did have an incident and I offered to help couldn't get enough of what
they needed and didn't think much of the system.

I think there will be many of those old boards around if not on E-Bay
alone. I haven't looked within the past dew years but before I retired
my older XP boxes I installed new boards and CPUs/RAM.

You're bolder than I if you'll buy a MB off Ebay. Ebay's ok for
memory, CPU/coolers, although I only do new MBs (they're weird, too,
and have to be careful they're not being sold for new from storage of
extremely old stock).

That's exactly my problem. I am out of the house from 4 AM to 5 PM
every day and just don't seem to have the time to do more of what I
want. I have 3 ole ladies to support so I'll be in that salt mine for
some time to come.

They told me I didn't have to go, but I couldn't see a further
financial need or point for continuing to work anywhere unless there's
some sort of moral/personal value to committing myself. I'm only
accountable for my own needs. Though others might recognize them for
withal an end, there's a likelihood they wouldn't subscribe to them.
Last year a woman I provided for on occasion basically couldn't take
it, even though she wanted to stay.

It's even easier than that. Just stick a card ina slot and you're on
your way.

http://www.bigsecurity.com/geovision...FYaRHwodnWYAcA

Looks good.

Are you sure she didn't see you first and had her stash in that
stroller, maybe that's where she kept the rest of her wardrobe.

Next time she strolled by, during the day, her accompanying husband
was looking at tools behind where I was seated in accustomed filthy
clothes in front of the garage. I waved. Believe she was looking
straight ahead.

You might be surprised at what some of the night vision cameras can
do. I have one called a license plate camera and can see mice running
around being chased by a cat on a hill beyond my land. While most
cameras do have IR lighting I have lamps that illuminates the areas on
all sides.

http://www.directron.com/ltir200r.html?pgrab=1

Knew somebody who had them installed on his car for catching all
angles after expressing a sense of being railroaded by a judge from an
accident he'd contested but lost. Police in general, he said,
absolutely hated the idea, upon seeing what he'd done and often would
become aggressive for no other apparent reason than that he'd taken
himself accountable for direct and impartially recording his driving
habits. Funny how that works with an means available now for a
nickel/dime cost in a pervasive industry of security recorders. I'd
think people, to further add a dimension of the "black box" video
recorder gear, much like mandated on not only a VIP jet, some with
extravagant and prohibitively expensively landbound vehicles, would
saddle up right off to such a notion, like cotton candy is to the
traveling carnival's ambient appeal.
Old June 6th 15, 06:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Al Drake

wrote:

The new systems I use at work still use Windows XP to run their
software. If we were to purchase one tomorrow that wouldn't have changed.
http://www.southwesternindustries.com/

At work, there was a dedicated system, which I didn't screw with,
mostly. Not really all that good, either, as the police, when they
did have an incident and I offered to help couldn't get enough of what
they needed and didn't think much of the system.

I think there will be many of those old boards around if not on E-Bay
alone. I haven't looked within the past dew years but before I retired
my older XP boxes I installed new boards and CPUs/RAM.

You're bolder than I if you'll buy a MB off Ebay. Ebay's ok for
memory, CPU/coolers, although I only do new MBs (they're weird, too,
and have to be careful they're not being sold for new from storage of
extremely old stock).

Actually I've never bought a board from Ebay. I was simply commenting
on the idea that they will always be around. I'm not really a fanboy of
Ebay. I do know those that are. I did buy my dash cams from a seller
located in South Korea. I don't think there were any sellers locally as
S.K. have all the experts of that product. America is behind the rest of
the world when it comes to dash cam usage. I've had mine for several
years now and just now are the rest catching on. The ones I use are
called Black Box devices as they also have GPS locating and mapping.
Your location is displayed on the video along with a map of your trip.

I have a pair of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1210861...lpid=82&chn=ps

That's exactly my problem. I am out of the house from 4 AM to 5 PM
every day and just don't seem to have the time to do more of what I
want. I have 3 ole ladies to support so I'll be in that salt mine for
some time to come.

They told me I didn't have to go, but I couldn't see a further
financial need or point for continuing to work anywhere unless there's
some sort of moral/personal value to committing myself. I'm only
accountable for my own needs. Though others might recognize them for
withal an end, there's a likelihood they wouldn't subscribe to them.
Last year a woman I provided for on occasion basically couldn't take
it, even though she wanted to stay.

I plan on working until they take me away horizontally. I suffer from
Corporate Stockholm Syndrome.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...kholm-syndrome

It's even easier than that. Just stick a card ina slot and you're on
your way.

http://www.bigsecurity.com/geovision...FYaRHwodnWYAcA

Looks good.

Are you sure she didn't see you first and had her stash in that
stroller, maybe that's where she kept the rest of her wardrobe.

Next time she strolled by, during the day, her accompanying husband
was looking at tools behind where I was seated in accustomed filthy
clothes in front of the garage. I waved. Believe she was looking
straight ahead.

He probably doesn't have any idea of her nocturnal habits.

[...]

Recently I was stopped for not using my turn signal at 5am with one
truck and myself on the highway as I attempted to over take him at slow
speed. They noticed the devices but said nothing. They did complain
about not using my signal. There's no reasoning with them so I didn't try.

I like the new idea of all police wearing them. Let's black box them all.

Old June 7th 15, 03:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sat, 06 Jun 2015 13:44:04 -0400, Al Drake
wrote:

I plan on working until they take me away horizontally. I suffer from
Corporate Stockholm Syndrome.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...kholm-syndrome

Looks odd. Over time, at least where I was, there was less room for
error. Not that, usually, they were overdemanding. That usually came
early, for fresh and younger people willing to climb the ladder and
fit in, volunteering and putting in the extra effort and time, often
with foremen and supervisory positions for their efforts if
demonstrating concise work habits and an ability and willingness to
handle more.

There was also a union, so it was very tightly structured,
(supervisory positions of course excluded from membership), and loose
guns (often military officers or similar who would variously come in)
usually found themselves at odds with a union steward or proceedings
that could get very nasty.

Keep your nose clean and nothing much can happen, IOW. So, after
awhile anything less than (continued) top-notch performance reviews
seemed inexcusable.

I made too much money from saving habits and outside activities, and
eventually exceeded the prospect of continuing to draw a salary. But
I know some that continued along apparently for no other reason than a
comfort in what they were doing.

I've worked a lot in corrective situations, helping with how a spread
and flow of necessary personnel are applied to restore order. Can be
demanding and so forth, not necessarily something especially
compensated or recognized, because such situations are a normal part
of operations, and it never stops. 24/7.

Used to, did work at airports directly on the flightlines with
last-ditch aircraft failing at a take-off, working directly with the
flight-control tower operators, and tend to like the challenges of
situations going from out of to back and in control.

Damnably funny feeling when eventually seeing someone they had hired
to replace me manning operations, even though I approved, believe I
could tell for a quick once over, that he had the right stuff --
conscientious and serious. Could deal with the heat. But they were
getting somewhat better about fielding applicants;- dunno, it was more
directly personal for me, then less political and standardized, and I
might not have made the position had I to take current application
testing or field what standards a panel interview might entail.