Can I make an audio CD longer than 74 mins?

Old May 27th 05, 01:19 AM
Ian Roberts

Default Can I make an audio CD longer than 74 mins?

Hi

Is it possible to make an audio CD longer than 74 mins with a standard CD-R?

Ive been wondering...as a standard CD holds approx 650-700Mb, if i record at
lower res than CD quality = less space so does it correlate that I can then
put more recorded material onto a CD. I suspect not as I want to make a
standard audio CD (not data CD) that can be played back on a standard CD
player.

Thanks for any info.

Ian

Old May 27th 05, 02:58 AM
MCheu

On Fri, 27 May 2005 00:19:01 +0000 (UTC), "Ian Roberts"
wrote:

Hi

Is it possible to make an audio CD longer than 74 mins with a standard CD-R?

Ive been wondering...as a standard CD holds approx 650-700Mb, if i record at
lower res than CD quality = less space so does it correlate that I can then
put more recorded material onto a CD. I suspect not as I want to make a
standard audio CD (not data CD) that can be played back on a standard CD
player.

Thanks for any info.

Ian

Not the way you intend. To stay in spec and be playable as an audio
CD, the audio stream has to be encoded as per the CD redbook spec. If
you re-encoded it to a lower quality, you'd just be giving yourself
bad audio quality for nothing. The authoring program will convert
them back to spec, however, the audio data you threw away to compress
it is still gone.

To get more than 74 minutes with an AudioCD (redbook), you really only
have two options:

1. Buy higher capacity CDs. 74 minute CDs are the standard, but
80minute CDs are the "defacto" standard as they're more common now.

You can buy 90 and 99 minute CDs, but because these aren't considered
standard in any way, you'll have to use the drive's overburn mode to
burn them beyond 80minutes, and not all players (or even
DVD-ROM/burners) can read them.

2. Use drive's "overburn" mode on the regular 74 or 80 minute CDs.
While CDs are specified for a certain number of minutes but most discs
have a few minutes worth of recording space past that. The amount
varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and sometimes batch to batch,
so there's no real way to be sure how much extra space you'll squeeze.
It could be 1 minute to as much as 5 minutes.

If you have an MP3-CD player, you could burn the disc as a data disc
loaded with MP3's. Depending on bit bit rate you choose, you can have
as much as several hours of music on a single disc then. Of course,
as it's not a real audio CD, a regular CD audio player wouldn't be
able to play it.

MCheu