Backup Small Office Data

Old August 16th 03, 02:47 AM
Jim Turner

Default Backup Small Office Data

Look at something like a CDR. For good backups, you want multiple
copies going back a ways, incase your data gets corrupted and you back
up before you notice. Could be a virus, could be a disk error, could
be anything.

Packet writing software like Direct CD and INcd are simple( use just
like a floppy) but have a bad rep on reliability. Nero has a command
line capability so you can build a cd from commands in a batch file to
do what you want to a real cdr. Might look at that. Back up software
from Novastor also will do scheduled backups to CDR and is reliable.

USB Thumb drives are handy, and if you use more than one would also
probably be ok. Would probably do periodic CDR backups (like monthly)
just to keep the historical data available.

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 00:55:21 -0500, "Burton Peltier"
wrote:

Just looking for some validation/opinions that this is an ok way of doing
this ....

First, the amount of data is small - several years (3 or 4 I think) are
currently on 60 floppies.

Critical data is mostly MS Office type - Access DB, Excel, and Word .

The main PC is fairly new Dell with XP (Home edition I think) and it has a
CD Writer.

The main PC has a DSL connection to the Internet.

Note: Only 1 other PC and there is no critical data on it and it is NOT
networked/connected to the other PC.

Office personnel wants data backed up automatically and is willing to ALWAYS
save to "My Documents" or 1 folder. And, they like the idea of being able to
access the backed up data on another (home) PC that is also fairly new (not
sure the details right now).

Backup Process/Proposal:

1) Since the data is small, thinking of just using a memory stick for
backup - or an external USB hard drive, but the drive seems like overkill.
2) Set up a scheduled job to run a simple copy command and run it nightly.
3) Manually run once a month a backup to CD writer (for offsite storage just
in case).

Questions:

1) Is there some utility that comes with XP to do backups and schedule it ?
I don't see one so far.
2) Someone suggested using an Internet backup company to back up to the
Internet. Does anyone have experience with this?

Old August 16th 03, 04:21 PM
Ralph Mowery

[...]

The cd-r price is almost nothing. If the data is very small I would save
the data once a day on a floppy and at the end of the week save it to a CD.
For the floppies the way to do it would be to have atleast 5 of them and
lable them for each day of the week. If the data is larger than one floppy
then go to a cd-r and format it so that you can do multi sessions on it.
Again at the end of the week quit using it and go to another disc. When you
have about 3 months worth of disc throw out the oldest month. They do not
take up very much space and one day you will loose all your data on the hard
drive.
For about $ 20 you can get enough disc to back up lots of data.
How long would it take to reconstruct the data ?

Old August 16th 03, 04:24 PM
CBFalconer

Burton Peltier wrote:

Just looking for some validation/opinions that this is an ok way
of doing this ....

First, the amount of data is small - several years (3 or 4 I
think) are currently on 60 floppies.

.... snip ...

Look into arj. see http://www.arjsoftware.com/

--
Chuck F ) )
http://cbfalconer.home.att.net USE worldnet address!

Old August 16th 03, 08:41 PM
Antithesis

?
I don't see one so far.
2) Someone suggested using an Internet backup company to back up to the
Internet. Does anyone have experience with this?

I definitely wouldn't use an company to perform offsite backups with as
small of a job as you need.

Why not just use the burner all the time? You could keep backing up to the
same CD in folders according to date until that CD is full, then move on to
another one.
http://www.ourstrangeworld.com

Old August 17th 03, 04:22 PM
santa

s.com...
:
: wrote:
:
: Just looking for some validation/opinions that this is an ok way of doing
: this ....
:
: First, the amount of data is small - several years (3 or 4 I think) are
: currently on 60 floppies.
:
: Critical data is mostly MS Office type - Access DB, Excel, and Word .
:
: The main PC is fairly new Dell with XP (Home edition I think) and it has
: CD Writer.
:
: The main PC has a DSL connection to the Internet.
:
: Note: Only 1 other PC and there is no critical data on it and it is NOT
: networked/connected to the other PC.
:
: Office personnel wants data backed up automatically and is willing to
ALWAYS
: save to "My Documents" or 1 folder. And, they like the idea of being able
: access the backed up data on another (home) PC that is also fairly new
(not
: sure the details right now).
:
: Backup Process/Proposal:
:
: 1) Since the data is small, thinking of just using a memory stick for
: backup - or an external USB hard drive, but the drive seems like overkill
..
: 2) Set up a scheduled job to run a simple copy command and run it
nightly.
: 3) Manually run once a month a backup to CD writer (for offsite storage
just
: in case).
:
: Questions:
:
: 1) Is there some utility that comes with XP to do backups and schedule it
?
: I don't see one so far.
: 2) Someone suggested using an Internet backup company to back up to the
: Internet. Does anyone have experience with this?
:

As dirty Harry said you have to ask yourself "do I feel lucky?" Do you want
to solve the problem or just raise everyone's comfort level with some
cosmetics? Will the company go out of business if all the data goes down
the tank or will it just be a pain in the ass for a couple of weeks? Are
you paid as an expert on disaster contingency planning and recover or are
you just one of the troops keeping the lights on?

Maybe you've already analysed all these questions and will be ****ed that
someone asks them but hey you asked.

claus

Old August 17th 03, 07:27 PM
Burton Peltier

"santa" wrote in message

s.com...
:

.
[...]

Answers to your questions in the order you put them:

No.
Yes and No.
No and Yes.
No and No. This is a freebie

Maybe you've already analysed all these questions and will be ****ed that
someone asks them but hey you asked.

Yes and No

claus

Old August 17th 03, 09:31 PM
santa

"Burton Peltier" wrote in message
.. .
: --
: "santa" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "Jim Turner" wrote in message
: s.com...
: : Look at something like a CDR. For good backups, you want multiple
: : copies going back a ways, incase your data gets corrupted and you back
: : up before you notice. Could be a virus, could be a disk error, could
: : be anything.
: :
: : Packet writing software like Direct CD and INcd are simple( use just
: : like a floppy) but have a bad rep on reliability. Nero has a command
: : line capability so you can build a cd from commands in a batch file to
: : do what you want to a real cdr. Might look at that. Back up software
: : from Novastor also will do scheduled backups to CDR and is reliable.
: :
: : USB Thumb drives are handy, and if you use more than one would also
: : probably be ok. Would probably do periodic CDR backups (like monthly)
: : just to keep the historical data available.
: :
: : On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 00:55:21 -0500, "Burton Peltier"
: : wrote:
: :
[...]
: .
: : 2) Set up a scheduled job to run a simple copy command and run it
: nightly.
: : 3) Manually run once a month a backup to CD writer (for offsite
storage
: just
: : in case).
: :
: : Questions:
: :
: : 1) Is there some utility that comes with XP to do backups and
schedule
: it
: ?
[...]
: OK, if I counted yeses and nos correctly its a pain in the ass problem
rather than a drop dead problem. In that case I would do a complete dump
every night to a memory stick. You should be able to script this I would
make sure that the stick is readable on a regular basis and make sure you
have a good system of labelling it as part of the scripting. You could
alternate 2 sticks that way if one of them burps your ass is covered. A
once a week dump to CD and offsite storage might also save a lot of grief..
The one of the problems with doing restores is the order of reload but if
you have a readable stick at the end of every day the worst that can happen
is you end up losing a day which you say won't be catastrophic; but remember
users fib. You got to pull the trigger though one day just to see if it
works otherwise sure as little apples are green when the big day comes and
you really have to do it, you'll fry in hell.

claus