Destroying old CDs

Old March 2nd 05, 12:57 AM
George Earl

Default Destroying old CDs

What are the ways some of you are using to destroy old CDs that, i.e.,
have data backed up from PC that you don't need to keep anymore?

I have too many to destroy one at a time by hand, but the CD shredders
I've found are pretty expensive. Other ideas?

Thanks!

George

Old March 2nd 05, 01:13 AM
Theo

Next time you mow the yard.should work.

Old March 2nd 05, 01:31 AM
Dan G

A deep gouge on either side will do it. Laying them face up in the sun for a
couple days will do it.

Old March 2nd 05, 02:58 AM
Paul Heslop

Dan G wrote:

A deep gouge on either side will do it. Laying them face up in the sun for a
couple days will do it.

I don't get rid of many but sometimes I like to tidy up old data or
family picture discs. I just drag something nasty across the disc a
few times in a couple of directions

--
Paul (everybody hurts sometimes)
Stop and Look
Old March 2nd 05, 03:06 AM
Larc

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 19:57:22 -0500, George Earl
wrote:

| What are the ways some of you are using to destroy old CDs that, i.e.,
| have data backed up from PC that you don't need to keep anymore?
|
| I have too many to destroy one at a time by hand, but the CD shredders
| I've found are pretty expensive. Other ideas?

I cut them in two with heavy duty kitchen shears.

Larc

Old March 2nd 05, 05:55 AM
Erik

In article ,
George Earl wrote:

What are the ways some of you are using to destroy old CDs that, i.e.,
have data backed up from PC that you don't need to keep anymore?

I have too many to destroy one at a time by hand, but the CD shredders
I've found are pretty expensive. Other ideas?

Thanks!

George

I keep a pair of sheet metal snips in my desk (10" Diamalloy DS-10)...
they cut up old CD's quick and easy, and I'm sure much cheaper than a CD
shredder. Guess I've probably cut up several hundred CD's through the
years.

They're small, and also come in handy for cutting up stuff like old
credit cards, cardboard, carpet and most anything else you can think of.

Mine even cut paper good, and have held their edge for years... I use
them to save my scissors from paper use.

Good Luck!

Erik
Old March 2nd 05, 01:45 PM
TommyDale

The method found to be the most spectacularly amusing is to place them
in the microwave oven for about 45 seconds, on high power (Popcorn)
setting.

Old March 3rd 05, 12:25 AM
NobodyMan

wrote:

What are the ways some of you are using to destroy old CDs that, i.e.,
have data backed up from PC that you don't need to keep anymore?

I have too many to destroy one at a time by hand, but the CD shredders
I've found are pretty expensive. Other ideas?

Thanks!

George

Why not just place them in the trash can and be done with it? Is
there any data on it that is that sensitive that somebody would
purposefully dig through mounds of trash to get at it?

Old March 3rd 05, 02:58 AM
Erik

Why not just place them in the trash can and be done with it? Is
there any data on it that is that sensitive that somebody would
purposefully dig through mounds of trash to get at it?

I can't speak for the original poster, but I caught my competition red
handed going through my trash on one occasion, and suspect them there a
few of other times.

I always shred documents, and chop up old backup CD's...

Erik
Old March 3rd 05, 05:09 AM
Jesse

George Earl wrote in
:

What are the ways some of you are using to destroy old CDs that, i.e.,
have data backed up from PC that you don't need to keep anymore?

I have too many to destroy one at a time by hand, but the CD shredders
I've found are pretty expensive. Other ideas?

Thanks!

George

If you can stand to get close enough, just have SMH breathe on it, which
should be more than enough to warp and curdle it beyond all recognition.
Failing that, just put them sons of bitches in a canvas sack, then beat the
hell out of it with a hammer ... Not a bad idea for a cure for SMH either.