Problems creating audio cd's (coasters).

Old September 26th 04, 01:26 AM
terry smith

"smh" wrote in message
. --------------------------------------
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm... bubbanews.com
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com

( No Pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL )
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )

terry smith wrote:
"smh" wrote:
terry smith wrote:

I can create data cd's ok though.

You didn't get buffer underrun with data because you were using packet
writer, like DirectCD, which burns in packets or chunks of data,
not in continuous stream of data.

Are you sure? its a aduio CD which *must*be a continous stream of data
by definition?

Actually your problem is not buffer underrun. If anything, it's buffer
overrun. The laser cannot position to where it's supposed to be because
the "shaft" it moves on is dirty or lack of lubrication.

Possibley, I do remember oiling the shafts some time ago but I am not
sure it was the cdrw. However I am not too convinced by your explanation,
what evidence do you have for that?

Its not a directed CD, its an audio CD although I can create driected

cds
for data.

You didn't get buffer underrun with data because you were using
packet writer, like DirectCD

Your problem is the classic symptom of Ricoh MP7040A needing
lubrication.

Maybe I am a little out of my depth here so forgive me, I have had problems
with reading disks recently, which I put down to disks being scratched.
No ammount of cleaning improved things

================================
From: dekka
Subject: RICOH MP7080A problem recognizing inserted disk
Date: 12/4/01

Due to the inadequate lubrication of mechanical parts of the
Ricoh 7080 write failures and/or lockups of your computer may occur.
Take the unit out of the computer, remove the bezel, the lower cover
and the top cover. (in that order)
Eject the loading tray by pushing against a plastic lever with a small
screwdriver, just below the loading tray, situated at approx. one
third from the right hand side.
Next you need to remove a metal plate, approx. 5 x 12 cm with a
plastic CD hub in the center, by removing 2 small screws.

Then, viewing from the front side of the burner, a lead screw is
visible on the right hand side of the laser unit as well as two
slide bars, one left and one right.

The far end of the lead screw has a plastic gear attached.
The parts that require lubrication a
1. The lead screw
2. The two slide bars
3. The plastic gear

Apply some light grease (from my previous experience with lubing the
Ricoh 7040/7060 models I know that industrial vaseline will do the
job just fine, but most people appear to prefer using some kind of
Teflon lube gel which should be available from Radio Shack) and after
reassembling and reinstalling the unit, your Ricoh 7080 may/will
perform flawlessly again.

Thanks very much for that, I did take a drive apart before to clean the
lens and I though the 'slider' was a bit sticky so I oiled it as litte with
bog standard lubricating oil.
I smoke a bit my self and it gets every where, including I assume into
the cd drive.

I have had problems with the cd not recognising disks but I assumed it was
due to scratches, it is usually ok on new unscratched disks though
(I think).

I have partiallly defragged my main drive so I will give it another go.
The defrag takes ages, and tend to get slower and slower so I had
to abort it for today, the last 15% will take as long as the first 85%.

BAck to the disks, some disks work but other don't so I think it is
probabaly caused mainly by scratches.

Mine is a Freecom drive by the way, but thanks very much for your
input as it is much appreciated.!!!!!
===============================

Old September 26th 04, 02:09 AM
terry smith

Just a quick update.

I tried with by partially defragged drive but same old error.

Then I tried removing my other CDROM drive as I am slightly
concerned about my power supply being adaquate for too drives
(only 90 watts and I have two hard drives)

Anyway I tried again, and just to complicate matters I tried writing
at X4 as oppesed to X2 (the lowest setting on adaptec software)
anyway, it wrote the first two of 3 tracks OK!!! however
halfway through the third track it ejected the disk and
gave an error (no disk in drive (what a surprise!!)).
The disk is not a total coaster and will not even format as a data
disk but at least I have made some progress.
Unfortunately I am unsure whether removeing the other drive
or increasing the write speed gave the improvement.
I will try some more experiments later (back to X2 or replacing
the other drive).
Another point is that the first file was quite short, the second a bit
bigger
and the third bigger still (2meg 4meg 5 meg).

So I made some progress but I am not too sure why, maybe it was a
a lucky disk!!! ( the previous 10 all failed at the same point with the
same error message).

It is slightly costly in terms of disks (20p each) but I can reuse most
as data disks (I think/hope, as most formateed as data, apart from the
last one which had quite a bit of data written to it).

Some progress anyway, and I will post any futher test results.

Old September 26th 04, 04:00 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

terry smith wrote:
"smh" wrote...
terry smith wrote:

I can create data cd's ok though.

You didn't get buffer underrun with data because you were using packet
writer, like DirectCD, which burns in packets or chunks of data,
not in continuous stream of data.

Are you sure? its a aduio CD which *must*be a continous stream of data
by definition?

Actually your problem is not buffer underrun. If anything, it's buffer
overrun. The laser cannot position to where it's supposed to be because
the "shaft" it moves on is dirty or lack of lubrication.

Possibley, I do remember oiling the shafts some time ago but I am not
sure it was the cdrw. However I am not too convinced by your explanation,
what evidence do you have for that?

Another symptom you might have noticed is that the burner makes a lot of
"seeking" noise, and the burn speed goes way down. Time how long it
takes to burn, say, 10M.

Its not a directed CD, its an audio CD although I can create driected cds
for data.

You didn't get buffer underrun with data because you were using
packet writer, like DirectCD

Your problem is the classic symptom of Ricoh MP7040A needing
lubrication.

Maybe I am a little out of my depth here so forgive me, I have had problems
with reading disks recently, which I put down to disks being scratched.
No ammount of cleaning improved things

Noticed a lot of "seeking" noise?

================================
From: dekka

Due to the inadequate lubrication of mechanical parts of the
Ricoh 7080 write failures and/or lockups of your computer may occur.
================================

Thanks very much for that, I did take a drive apart before to clean the
lens and I though the 'slider' was a bit sticky so I oiled it as litte with
bog standard lubricating oil.

If you go thru the trouble, use Radio Shack Cat# 64-2301A, Archer
Precision Lubricator w/ Teflon.

I smoke a bit my self and it gets every where, including I assume into
the cd drive.

I have had problems with the cd not recognising disks but I assumed it was
due to scratches, it is usually ok on new unscratched disks though
(I think).

I have partiallly defragged my main drive so I will give it another go.
The defrag takes ages, and tend to get slower and slower so I had
to abort it for today, the last 15% will take as long as the first 85%.

Don't use Windows Defrag utility. Use something like Norton SpeedDisk
or O&O Defrag.

BAck to the disks, some disks work but other don't so I think it is
probabaly caused mainly by scratches.

Mine is a Freecom drive by the way, but thanks very much for your
input as it is much appreciated.!!!!!

You are welcome.

(Have you considered getting a DVD drive?)
Old September 26th 04, 07:10 AM
Graham Mayor

Some confusion here - you say you an 're-use the discs'. This suggests they
are RW discs, which are unsuitable for audio as most players will not see
them. You cannot 're-use' CDR discs. Then there's the speed issue. What
drive is this and what media are you using? Old hardware will not be
compatible with current high speed media and trying to write high speed
media even slower is a recipe for failure. RW discs are the worst of all
worlds. Try this with compatible CDR media and see how you get on, but from
your descriptions you are trying to force old hardware to places it doesn't
want to go.

--

Graham Mayor

Old September 26th 04, 03:50 PM
terry smith

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Some confusion here - you say you an 're-use the discs'.

I used a new CDR disk although I can usually format an audio disk
which failed early as a data disk if i format it.

This suggests they
are RW discs,

no

which are unsuitable for audio as most players will not see
them. You cannot 're-use' CDR discs. Then there's the speed issue. What
drive is this and what media are you using? Old hardware will not be
compatible with current high speed media and trying to write high speed
media even slower is a recipe for failure. RW discs are the worst of all
worlds. Try this with compatible CDR media and see how you get on, but

from
your descriptions you are trying to force old hardware to places it

doesn't
want to go.

I had enough problem with disks of the same era.
They work ok for data anyway.

--

Graham Mayor

Old September 26th 04, 03:53 PM
terry smith

"smh" wrote in message
. --------------------------------------
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

terry smith wrote:
"smh" wrote...
terry smith wrote:

[...]

Yes when it is tring to read an unreadable disk, it is also ofthe difficult
to eject the disk and I often am forced to reboot either to get the disk out
and/or because the computer locks up.

================================
From: dekka

[...]

Well its done over night now anyway, but i wlil in future.

Old September 26th 04, 11:11 PM
terry smith

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Some confusion here - you say you an 're-use the discs'. This suggests

they
are RW discs, which are unsuitable for audio as most players will not see
them. You cannot 're-use' CDR discs. Then there's the speed issue. What
drive is this and what media are you using? Old hardware will not be
compatible with current high speed media and trying to write high speed
media even slower is a recipe for failure.

I don't really buy that arguement, when I bought the disks it didn't
say "these disks don't work" or "You will need to spend £500 on a new
computer
to use these disks"
They are CR recordable disks and I have a CD writer, end of story.

Old September 27th 04, 07:44 AM
Graham Mayor

So your argument is that when you go to the garage to fill your car with
fuel it won't matter whether you put in petrol or diesel, because they are
both fuel and you have a car? You don't stop and think that the fuel may
not be suitable?

Technology has moved on. If, as appears to be the case, you have old
hardware designed to burn at a slow speed and probably without the benefit
of buffer underrun protection, then you are going to be hard pressed to find
media that will work with that hardware, because the current media is
intended for drives that write at much faster speeds. The materials used to
work at these faster speeds is incompatible with low speed old hardware. If
they are able to be written at all, the error count will be so high as to
make the results worthless.

There is one avenue that you might explore. Discs flagged as 'audio' discs
(they cost a little more for reasons unconnected with the quality of the
media) are intended to be used with standalone writers which work at 1x
record speed. Such discs are therefore required to maintain that
compatibility.

On the other hand it may just be time to pension off that old gear if you
want to burn discs.

Despite your negative comments in many of the threads in the CDR groups
audio CDR production is a technology that works surprisingly well
considering CD players were never intended to work with such discs. I
personally have produced hundreds and never made a coaster that wasn't my
fault.

So end of story its isn't - only the beginning!

--

Graham Mayor

Old September 27th 04, 04:05 PM
terry smith

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
So your argument is that when you go to the garage to fill your car with
fuel it won't matter whether you put in petrol or diesel, because they are
both fuel and you have a car? You don't stop and think that the fuel may
not be suitable?

I think you will find the fuel is actually labled on the tank what I do not
find is that petrol from one petrol station works and petrol
from another station works, neither work, or one fill up in ten
work.
Your analogy is incorrect, I am not trying to write DVD with my
CDRW for instance.

Technology has moved on.

yoo mean backwards.

..If, as appears to be the case, you have old
hardware designed to burn at a slow speed and probably without the benefit
of buffer underrun protection, then you are going to be hard pressed to

find
media that will work with that hardware, because the current media is
intended for drives that write at much faster speeds.

Sorry doesn't add up, the CD are not labled high speed they are labled
CDR i have a cdr burmer, end of story.

An old car will run fine in modern leaded petrol, they have not became
obsolete.

Also my PC is faster, it will run all old programs though.

The materials used to
work at these faster speeds is incompatible with low speed old hardware.

If
they are able to be written at all, the error count will be so high as to
make the results worthless.

The diskswork fine as data disks. Explain that, and they are being written
at higher speeds than my audio efforts

Also most people burners are several years old.

There is one avenue that you might explore. Discs flagged as 'audio' discs
(they cost a little more for reasons unconnected with the quality of the
media) are intended to be used with standalone writers which work at 1x
record speed. Such discs are therefore required to maintain that
compatibility.

Another £10 down the drain?

On the other hand it may just be time to pension off that old gear if you
want to burn discs.

Despite your negative comments in many of the threads in the CDR groups
audio CDR production is a technology that works surprisingly well
considering CD players were never intended to work with such discs. I
personally have produced hundreds and never made a coaster that wasn't my
fault.

The threads are full of storys of people creating coasters with
a myriad of problems, plain for all to see.

So end of story its isn't - only the beginning!

I am going to more away cds and dvd in favour of unscrachable
technology, so its chip or hard drive for me.
The CD DVD player is dead, scratch it.

--

Graham Mayor