Problems creating audio cd's (coasters).

Old September 24th 04, 11:08 PM
terry smith

Default Problems creating audio cd's (coasters).

Hi,
The subject line says it all and I guess its a common problem.
I have adaptec cd creation software and a Freecom CD-RW,
I also have ashampoo audio cd creating software however neither
will create audio cds, I get a buffer underrun error as it does the
first track, with a massage the cd will now probably be unusable,
however I can usually format it as a data cd so all is not lost.

I have done all the usual stuff (slowest speed and no other software
running) but it makes zero difference. I had about 5 or 6 coasters in all
before I gave up.
I have managed to create some audio cds in the past but it is hard work
as you get more coasters than cds.
I am using napster cdrs at the moment (700MB 80 mins) and I also
tried on one of my older Primco 74min 650MB but that didn't work
either.

Why won't it work? It has barely done anything before it comes up
with a buffer underrun error so I find that a bit hard to believe.

I can create data cd's ok though.

I have 128 meg ram and a 300mhz processor.
I also have 2 hard drives (450 meg free on each) and a standard
cd drive too.

I am thinking all this hardware might be a problem straining the
power supply and maybe system resources but that does sound
pretty unlikely to me

Seems more likely that the software/hardware is designed to fail often
to prevent piratecy piracey?

Any ideas? I am pretty p***ed off!!

Old September 25th 04, 01:59 AM
terry smith

"terry smith" wrote in message
[...]

Here are the error messages (for what it is worth)
The power calibration thing interests me, but if there was a power
problem then data cds would have a problem too? (they dont)

Error (in order)

CD error - power calibration area error
Reasons for receiving this message:
The optimum power calibration area is a special area near the center of the
recordable CD. Before writing a track on a CD, the CD-Recorder must adjust
the amount of power applied to the writing laser for the optimum level for
the mounted CD. The optimum calibration area is reserved for this purpose.
If this area becomes full, the CD-Recorder can't write to the CD.
The power calibration failed, possibly because a defective CD was mounted or
an internal hardware malfunction occurred in the CD-Recorder.
What to do:
Insert a blank CD and repeat the CD creation process. If the error persists,
contact the CD-Recorder manufacturer for more information.
Try a different brand of CD-R media.

Write error - buffer underrun occurred
Reason for receiving this message:
Easy CD Creator ran out of data while recording a track because data could
not be provided to the CD-Recorder fast enough.
What to do:
Try closing other programs. Disable screen savers, virus software, and other
tasks or applications running in the background.
You may need to defragment your hard disk. Under Windows 95, you can start
defragmentation from the properties sheet for any drive letter in Explorer.
Make sure that the temporary files are created on a fast local hard disk. Do
not set the location of temporary files to a directory on a network drive;
set the location of the temporary files using the Options command under the
Tools menu.
Make sure that the CD-Recorder and the hard disk are both configured to
allow disconnect. Refer to the property sheet for your CD-Recorder and your
hard disk. You can view these property sheets by opening System from the
Control Panel and selecting Device Manager.
Record at a slower speed.
Do not record across a network. Copy the desired files to your local hard
disk.

TrackWriter error - Command retry failed
Reason for receiving this message:
The trackwriter received an error while trying to write to the CD-Recorder,
tried resending the command, and failed again. This error is usually
accompanied by additional errors that describe the original error.
What to do:
Review the error message(s) that accompany this one.
Check for faulty or disconnected cables between your computer and your
CD-Recorder.
Check for improper termination of the bus (SCSI only).
Restart your computer
-------------------------------------

Many thanks for any advice/help/links

tia.

Old September 25th 04, 02:00 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm... bubbanews.com
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com

( No Pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL )
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )

Try clean and "lube" the burner.
(Search for "Ricoh lube job" for hints.)

Old September 25th 04, 04:15 AM
Mike Richter

terry smith wrote:

Here are the error messages (for what it is worth)
The power calibration thing interests me, but if there was a power
problem then data cds would have a problem too? (they dont)

Error (in order)

CD error - power calibration area error

Yes, it is likely to occur on both data and audio. However, such an
error cannot produce a coaster; when it occurs, the write is terminated
- before anything (else) is written.

Write error - buffer underrun occurred

With a modern drive using some form of buffer underrun protection, it
almost always means that the source of data was substantially too slow.
Most often, that comes from trying to copy a faulty track on the fly,
where the wait for valid data becomes too long even for the protection
to be effective.

To solve that problem, extract the tracks first to a defragged hard
drive, then write from there. Alternatively, make an image first (or
buffer the write - the same thing except that the image is automatically
discarded on completion), then burn from the image.

(Much of the rest of the message is not relevant to modern systems.)

TrackWriter error - Command retry failed

This one merely says that the recording cannot be recovered or fixed.

Put them all together and I'd suggest the following initially, with the
promise of relaxation as you gain command.

1. Extract the tracks to a defragged hard drive. Note any which are
problematic and do what you can either to get a good capture (try Exact
Audio Copy, linked from my WWW site), or to drop them.

2. Use media recommended by the drive manufacturer.

3. For a writer with maximum speed above 16x, try 16x. For a slower
drive, try the next speed offered below the maximum.

4. Do a test write first, then burn if the test succeeds. This saves
nothing but blanks, but until the test works that alone may be worthwhile.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old September 25th 04, 05:00 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm... bubbanews.com
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com

( No Pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL )
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )

Mike Richter (Slimy ****) splattered:

Got no time to respond to this?

========================
From: Curtis Croulet
Subject: had it with DirectCD
Date: 9/22/04

Old September 25th 04, 05:06 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm... bubbanews.com
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com

( No Pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL )
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )

You didn't get buffer underrun with data because you were using packet
writer, like DirectCD, which burns in packets or chunks of data, not in
continuous stream of data.

Old September 25th 04, 06:18 PM
terry smith

"smh" wrote in message
. --------------------------------------
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm... bubbanews.com
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com

( No Pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL )
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )

You didn't get buffer underrun with data because you were using packet
writer, like DirectCD, which burns in packets or chunks of data, not in
continuous stream of data.

Are you sure? its a aduio CD which *must*be a continous stream of data
by definition?
Its not a directed CD, its an audio CD although I can create driected cds
for
data.

Old September 25th 04, 07:15 PM
terry smith

"Mike Richter" wrote in message
terry smith wrote:

[...]

I will try that, however, I am running the minium processes from
boot up and the software is writing a track at a time an it
spends time buffering the data before writing. I imagine I probably
have unused physical memory at the time.
It takes a couple of minutes to write a track, infact 4-5 mins when
I try at X1 speed, which is ample time to move the data surely!!!!

Anyway I will give it a go and defrag my drives assuming I remember to
do it over night.
I just tried creating a cd with the system monitor running and it showed
about 50 meg of free memory.

Alternatively, make an image first (or
buffer the write - the same thing except that the image is automatically
discarded on completion), then burn from the image.

I think it already does this?

(Much of the rest of the message is not relevant to modern systems.)

TrackWriter error - Command retry failed

This one merely says that the recording cannot be recovered or fixed.

Put them all together and I'd suggest the following initially, with the
promise of relaxation as you gain command.

1. Extract the tracks to a defragged hard drive.

I am not sure how I would do this? The files are mp3's which
must be are then converted into another format prior to
writing? Al this is done internally.

Incidently I did a system test (audio extraction test) which showed
small files could be extracted at 15X and large files at 40X
(even better results on my master drive), so its seems hard to
understand why it cannot write at 2X or even 1X.

Note any which are
problematic and do what you can either to get a good capture (try Exact
Audio Copy, linked from my WWW site), or to drop them.

I will look at this later.

2. Use media recommended by the drive manufacturer.

I don't really comprehend this thinking because it writes data (directed)
without any problem.

3. For a writer with maximum speed above 16x, try 16x. For a slower
drive, try the next speed offered below the maximum.

I will try that later as I am getting through a lot of failed audio cds at
the moment!

4. Do a test write first, then burn if the test succeeds. This saves
nothing but blanks, but until the test works that alone may be worthwhile.

Simulation mode seems ok, at least it does a track or 2 before I get bored
and abort it!!

Thanks for your help.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old September 25th 04, 07:19 PM
terry smith

terry smith wrote:

Here are the error messages (for what it is worth)
The power calibration thing interests me, but if there was a power
problem then data cds would have a problem too? (they dont)

Error (in order)

CD error - power calibration area error

Yes, it is likely to occur on both data and audio. However, such an
error cannot produce a coaster; when it occurs, the write is terminated
- before anything (else) is written.

Well if it was midway through creating at track and the error
occurred=coaster?

Write error - buffer underrun occurred

With a modern drive using some form of buffer underrun protection, it
almost always means that the source of data was substantially too slow.
Most often, that comes from trying to copy a faulty track on the fly,
where the wait for valid data becomes too long even for the protection
to be effective.

To solve that problem, extract the tracks first to a defragged hard
drive, then write from there. Alternatively, make an image first (or
buffer the write - the same thing except that the image is automatically
discarded on completion), then burn from the image.

I will try dregragging overnight if I remember to do it!!
Not sure what you mean by extract files, source files? or buffered
file? Buffer seems internal to software.

Old September 25th 04, 11:29 PM
smh

terry smith wrote:
"smh" wrote:
terry smith wrote:

I can create data cd's ok though.

You didn't get buffer underrun with data because you were using packet
writer, like DirectCD, which burns in packets or chunks of data,
not in continuous stream of data.

Are you sure? its a aduio CD which *must*be a continous stream of data
by definition?

Actually your problem is not buffer underrun. If anything, it's buffer
overrun. The laser cannot position to where it's supposed to be because
the "shaft" it moves on is dirty or lack of lubrication.

Its not a directed CD, its an audio CD although I can create driected cds
for data.

You didn't get buffer underrun with data because you were using
packet writer, like DirectCD

Your problem is the classic symptom of Ricoh MP7040A needing
lubrication.

================================
From: dekka
Subject: RICOH MP7080A problem recognizing inserted disk
Date: 12/4/01

Due to the inadequate lubrication of mechanical parts of the
Ricoh 7080 write failures and/or lockups of your computer may occur.
Take the unit out of the computer, remove the bezel, the lower cover
and the top cover. (in that order)
Eject the loading tray by pushing against a plastic lever with a small
screwdriver, just below the loading tray, situated at approx. one
third from the right hand side.
Next you need to remove a metal plate, approx. 5 x 12 cm with a
plastic CD hub in the center, by removing 2 small screws.

Then, viewing from the front side of the burner, a lead screw is
visible on the right hand side of the laser unit as well as two
slide bars, one left and one right.

The far end of the lead screw has a plastic gear attached.
The parts that require lubrication a
1. The lead screw
2. The two slide bars
3. The plastic gear

Apply some light grease (from my previous experience with lubing the
Ricoh 7040/7060 models I know that industrial vaseline will do the
job just fine, but most people appear to prefer using some kind of
Teflon lube gel which should be available from Radio Shack) and after
reassembling and reinstalling the unit, your Ricoh 7080 may/will
perform flawlessly again.