DirectCD Disk Thrashing - the Kiss of Death?

Old August 2nd 04, 09:11 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )
'

Mike Richter (Friggin' ****) splattered:

The theoretical life of an erasable is rarely approached in practice.
Each time a changed fixed-length packet disc is removed from the drive,
the TOC is written. A few dozen to perhaps a hundred such operations is
all that you can expect of the medium.

Is it now TOC? Wow! What a Friggin ****!

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (i)

[Why does DirectCD use SPARING technique? Why the bother, Mikey?]

From: smh
Subject: Does anyone rely on DirectCD for multi-session backups?
Date: 2/7/02

Mike Richter (Slimy Scum) spewed:

When you remove a fixed-length packet disc after having written
anything to it,

the directory information is written back from
RAM. That means that at least portions of the disc are "scrubbed"

- rewritten many times.
The disc is supposed to tolerate 1000
cycles, but in fact read accuracy goes down continuously with
erase cycles and the 1000 number seems absurdly optimistic from
the experience of most.

DirectCD for Windows Technical FAQs:

"In practical terms, you will probably
never wear out a CD-RW disc."

Mike Richter, should you not have cRoxio rewrite the above?

---------------------------
Wow! What a Friggin' ****!
---------------------------

--------------------------------------
Old August 3rd 04, 06:33 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (Friggin' ****) splattered:

Each time a changed fixed-length packet disc is removed from the drive,
the TOC is written. A few dozen to perhaps a hundred such operations is
all that you can expect of the medium.

Is it now TOC? Is TOC the same as directory ???!!!

Wow! What a Friggin ****!

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (v)

[Why does DirectCD use SPARING technique? Why the bother, Mikey?]

From: smh
Date: 11/7/02

Mike Richter (Lying Scum) spewed:

The nominal 1000 cycles has appeared to be a fiction
to all of us who used fixed-length packets.

Unfortunately, the first area to go (for understandable reasons)
is that of the directory.

Is cRoxio lying?

From: smh
Date: 10/30/02

Mike Richter (cRoxio Shill) wrote:

Erasable media wear out, particularly with the sort of use
fixed-length packets usually give them.

If that's the case, how could cRoxio claim this?
Is cRoxio lying?

DirectCD for Windows Technical FAQs:

"In practical terms, you will probably
never wear out a CD-RW disc."

Mikey, should you not have cRoxio rewrite the above?

--------------------------------------
Old August 3rd 04, 08:12 PM
smh

Mike Richter (Friggin' ****) splattered (7/31/04):

The theoretical life of an erasable is rarely approached in practice.
Each time a changed fixed-length packet disc is removed from the drive,
the TOC is written. A few dozen to perhaps a hundred such operations is
all that you can expect of the medium.

Is it now TOC? Is TOC the same as directory ???!!!

Wow! What a Friggin ****!

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (vii)

[Why does DirectCD use SPARING technique? Why the bother, Mikey?]

From: smh
Subject: Can't rewrite
Date: 12/29/02

Mikey Richter (Lying Scum) spewed (12/29/02):

It could be an erasable wearing out. Don't believe the
manufacturer's claims about number of cycles; users typically
find less than a hundred erase cycles before losses show and

packet writing uses more erase cycles in the directory area
(where your problem originates) than many believe.

If that's the case, how could cRoxio claim this?
Is Rox**** lying, Mikey?

Old August 4th 04, 08:11 AM
smh

' -------------------------------------------
Graham Mayor (MS MVP), were you also born
with "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
Does the "P" in MVP stand for "PRICK"?
Does MS stand for "Mikey S-licker"?

Graham Mayor (MS MVP) squeaked:

Direct CD is arguably the best of its type,
but it is up against a flaky and unreliable type of format

Wherever did you get the flaky poppycock, Graham Mayor (MS MVP)?

Your so-called flaky and unreliable "type of format" is a MUST in
order for Take Two, supposedly a backup software, to work IDEALLY !!

=======================
From: Mike Richter (Acraptec Shill)
Subject: A note on Take Two
Date: 9/1/99

For Take Two to work ideally, your drive must support
packet writing and you must have DCD installed...to do it.
=======================

Again, wherever did you get the flaky poppycock, Graham Mayor (MS MVP)?

-----------------------------------

Old August 4th 04, 07:32 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (Friggin' ****) splattered:

Another choice - depending on your software - is to back up directly to
write-once media. Although that uses packet writing also, the write-once
discs do not have the problems of erasables.

That's because Mikey sees only CD-RW:

--------------------------------
Mikey sees CD-RW everywhere (ii)
--------------------------------

From: Peter Kronenberg
Subject: Help! Can't copy files to Direct CD
Date: 10/1/02

Mike Richter (Slimy Scum) spewed:

Peter Kronenberg wrote:

I'm having a problem with Direct CD. I think it started when
I upgraded to 5.3.1.154. I upgraded again to 5.3.1.154 SP4,
hoping that would fix it, but it's the same.

It is more likely due to a problem with your medium
than with the updates.

Are you writing to erasables or write-once blanks?

Your symptoms are familiar to those trying to write
fixed-length packets to an unproven medium.

I'm writing to the same batch of CD-R disks
that I've been using for a while.

-------------------------------
Mikey, you are a Friggin' ****!
-------------------------------

--------------------------------------

From: Peter Kronenberg
Date: 10/1/02

Peter Kronenberg wrote:

I'm having a problem with Direct CD. I think it started when
I upgraded to 5.3.1.154. I upgraded again to 5.3.1.154 SP4,
hoping that would fix it, but it's the same.

It is more likely due to a problem with your medium
than with the updates.

Are you writing to erasables or write-once blanks?

Your symptoms are familiar to those trying to write
fixed-length packets to an unproven medium.

I'm writing to the same batch of CD-R disks
that I've been using for a while.

Mike Richter & "Looooooooonng" Time for Nothing

=====================
From: Mike Richter (cRoxio Shill)
Subject: roxio direct CD
Date: 6/30/02

When DCD formats, it reads back each sector
to be sure it's well prepared.

With a mismatch, many sectors fail which means
formatting takes a looooooooonng time ...
=====================

After the "looooooooonng" time, the least you'd expect is the media is
"proven." Nah, not with DirectCD.

====================================
From: Mike Richter (cRoxio Shill)
Date: 9/30/02

I'm having a problem with Direct CD. I think it started when I
upgraded to 5.3.1.154. I upgraded again to 5.3.1.154 SP4,
hoping that would fix it, but it's the same.

It is more likely due to a problem with your medium than with the
updates. Are you writing to erasables or write-once blanks? Your
symptoms are familiar to those trying to write fixed-length packets

to an unproven medium.
=====================================

After all that "looooooooonng" time, the medium is still "unproven" !!!

Why waste "looooooooonng" time then ???!!!

------------------------
Roxio - What a Joke !!!
------------------------
Old August 5th 04, 09:33 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (Friggin ****) splattered:

jason wrote:

I burn CDRW disks using the Adaptec DirectCD program that came with my
computer. All of a sudden, the disk I use for backup is thrashing around
and freezing my system. I can't access the disk at all

It means that the TOC can no longer be read - the disc is essentially
dead. This is discussed in the usual references, the CD-R FAQ and the
primer at my WWW site. Briefly:

The theoretical life of an erasable is rarely approached in practice.
Each time a changed fixed-length packet disc is removed from the drive,
the TOC is written.

TOC? Wow! Wow! Wow! What a Friggin **** !!

(Does CD-R FAQ say that? Why drag CD-R FAQ into the poppycock?)

A few dozen to perhaps a hundred such operations is
all that you can expect of the medium.

Of course you established that as fact with your so-called "extensive"
experience -- that has no body of experience ???!!!

Anyhow, did "jason" write more than a few dozen times?

The thing is, the disk is practically brand new.
I've only been using it for about two months.
... but I only back up a few files a week.

--------------------------------------

Old August 6th 04, 09:25 AM
smh

jason wrote:

I burn CDRW disks using the Adaptec DirectCD program that came with my
computer. All of a sudden, the disk I use for backup is thrashing around
and freezing my system. I can't access the disk at all

It means that the TOC can no longer be read - the disc is essentially
dead. This is discussed in the usual references, the CD-R FAQ and the
primer at my WWW site. Briefly:

The theoretical life of an erasable is rarely approached in practice.
Each time a changed fixed-length packet disc is removed from the drive,
the TOC is written.

TOC? Wow! Wow! Wow! What a Friggin **** !!

(Does CD-R FAQ say that? Why drag CD-R FAQ into the poppycock?)

A few dozen to perhaps a hundred such operations is
all that you can expect of the medium.

If that's the case, why does DirectCD even bother to use SPARING
technique, Mikey?

And if that's the case, how could cRoxio claim this?
Is cRoxio lying, Mikey?

--------------------------
Wow! What a Friggin ****!
--------------------------

--------------------------------------

Old August 8th 04, 11:00 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (Friggin ****) splattered:

Another choice - depending on your software - is to back up directly to
write-once media. Although that uses packet writing also, the write-once
discs do not have the problems of erasables.

No kidding! Now it's not even "heard of none" ???!!!

======================
From: "jt cross"
Subject: DirectCD formats CD-R but won't recognize CD after format
Date: 10/25/01

Using DirectCD v3.05(DCD) , I am have tried unsuccessfully to get
my Philips CDRW800 to format and then recognized CD-R discs. When
I insert a blank CD-R, DCD will come up and I will then format
using the DCD wizard.

After DCD tells me the CD-R has been successfully formatted it
refuses to recognize the CD-R. Right clicking on the DCD icon on
the tool bar and selecting properties, DCD reports that I have a
CD-R in the drive with unrecognized data. I get the same results
with two different brands of media.

My question is though, why is DirectCD formatting the CD-R
and then refusing to recognize the disc.

======================
[ No response from Mike Richter (cRoxio Shill) ]

===================================
Did Mikey coin the term "erasable"?
===================================

---------------------
From: Mike Richter (Slimy Scum)
Date: 5/17/02

I refer to "erasable"
---------------------

How come you no longer use "I refer" after (5/17/02)?

Would that have anything to do with my pointing out these at that time?

-----------------------------
(From old cdrfaq)
Subject: [1-1] What's CD-R?

A related technology called CD-E (CD Erasable) is expected
to be available in late 1996.

[Note: It was recently decided to call this technology
"CD-Rewritable" instead of CD-Erasable" -- kwc]

-----------------------------
Subject: [2-12] How does CD-RW compare to CD-R?

CD-RW is short for CD-Rewritable. It used to be called
CD-Erasable (CD-E), but some marketing folks changed it
so it wouldn't sound like your important data gets erased
on a whim.

-----------------------------
Erasable CDs are a go, compatibility to come later
October 23, 1996

The newly standardized CD-Rewritable format,
known until a month ago as CD-Erasable
-----------------------------

-------------------------------
Mikey, you are a Friggin' ****!
-------------------------------
Old August 10th 04, 10:01 AM
smh

jason wrote:

I burn CDRW disks using the Adaptec DirectCD program that came with my
computer. All of a sudden, the disk I use for backup is thrashing around
and freezing my system. I can't access the disk at all

It means that the TOC can no longer be read - the disc is essentially
dead. This is discussed in the usual references, the CD-R FAQ and the
primer at my WWW site. Briefly:

The theoretical life of an erasable is rarely approached in practice.

Each time a changed fixed-length packet disc is removed from the drive,
the TOC is written.

TOC? Wow! Wow! Wow! What a Friggin **** !!

(Does CD-R FAQ say that? Why drag CD-R FAQ into the poppycock?)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(vii)

======================
From: Mike Richter (Lying Scum)
Date: 2/5,6/02

Fixed-length packets...maintain the directory information
in RAM while the disc is in use ...

When you remove a fixed-length packet disc after having
written anything to it, the directory information is written
back from RAM.
======================

Are you sure about that, Mikey?

If the computer's RESET button is pressed while the disc is in use,
it would then be a disaster, wouldn't it, Mikey?

From: DeepOne
Date: 7/9/00

I've watched the disc write lights on my Plextor drives
when ejecting a DirectCD CD-RW disc, and the drive never
does any writing at that time.

Once, in an attempt to prove this, I wrote a bunch of files
to a DirectCD CD-RW disc. As soon as the write pulses ceased,

I pressed the computer's RESET button.

After the computer restarted, the CD-RW disc was fine, and
all the files I had just written were fully accessible.