speed on cd-rs flexible?

Old June 22nd 04, 12:27 AM

Default speed on cd-rs flexible?

i picked up some cd-rs at futile shop that said 40x on them. usually i see
them with 1x-40x but these just said 40x (cicero)? will they work in 4x
and 8x cd writers like the other ones do? the guy at futile shop said yes
but a friend said no so i'm looking for other opinions before i open the
pack.
Old June 22nd 04, 09:30 PM
Nelson Lee

What in the world is "futile shop"? Your English is excellent, but it is
a term I have not encountered in that sense.

Judging from the message source, if he's based in Canada, it's probably a
shot at the Canadian electronics chain Future Shop. "Futile Shop" probably
isn't too far off when describing the competence of the salespeople at these
stores :-)

Nelson

Old June 23rd 04, 12:08 AM
Mike Richter

Nelson Lee wrote:

What in the world is "futile shop"? Your English is excellent, but it is
a term I have not encountered in that sense.

Judging from the message source, if he's based in Canada, it's probably a
shot at the Canadian electronics chain Future Shop. "Futile Shop" probably
isn't too far off when describing the competence of the salespeople at these
stores :-)

I don't find .FZ in the usual lists, so I don't know where he's from. As
for your other point, I recently wrote in a related group that the only
source of information on CDs less reliable than the package in which you
buy the media is the salesperson selling it to you.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old June 24th 04, 11:13 PM

From: Mike Richter

Judging from the message source, if he's based in Canada, it's probably a
shot at the Canadian electronics chain Future Shop. "Futile Shop" probably
isn't too far off when describing the competence of the salespeople at these
stores :-)

I don't find .FZ in the usual lists, so I don't know where he's from. As
for your other point, I recently wrote in a related group that the only
source of information on CDs less reliable than the package in which you
buy the media is the salesperson selling it to you.

yes, i'm in canada but use .fz to deter spam which seems to find me
regardless.

futile shop is the common nickname for future shop as it's futile to look
for answers there. you almost expect their "experts" will ask you if you
want fries with that, as i think many of them worked at mcdonald's the
previous day.

thank you for your informative replies.
Old June 25th 04, 03:04 AM

From: MCheu

In regards to your original query, the Cicero discs that FS sells are
often CMC discs (not always, like everything else sold under that
name, the manufacturer changes -- ALOT). The FS guy's probably right
about them working in slower burners.

The thing is, if you detest FS so much, why shop there? There are
stores with much more knowledgeable staff, and those discs can be
bought cheaper at real computer shops (under other brands, or
unbranded).

actually, locally, futile shop _is_ the cheapest around. other shops want
at least $65. per 100 disks whereas futile shop sells the ciceros for $38
per 100. it was just lack of 1x- on the label that had me wondering.

the prices and selection aren't bad at futile shop; it's just the
employees in their 'men in black' suits look more like secret security
than sales people. their knowledge is mostly what they can absorb off the
manufacturer's promo sheets and if you ask them something a little out of
the ordinary, they freeze.

not one of them (there were 5 standing around) could tell me what
'progressive scan' was on a dvd player. even giving them the hint of
'interlaced vs non-interlaced' video still didn't jar any brain cells.

to be fair, however, radio shrek ain't much better.
Old June 25th 04, 07:15 AM
Nelson Lee

actually, locally, futile shop _is_ the cheapest around. other shops want
at least $65. per 100 disks whereas futile shop sells the ciceros for $38
per 100. it was just lack of 1x- on the label that had me wondering.

the prices and selection aren't bad at futile shop; it's just the
employees in their 'men in black' suits look more like secret security
than sales people. their knowledge is mostly what they can absorb off the
manufacturer's promo sheets and if you ask them something a little out of
the ordinary, they freeze.

Here on the West Coast, Futile Shop is usually the most expensive place to
get cd media. It's routinely much cheaper everywhere else.
Is this typical of the Maritimes (I'm assuming this from the details)? Is it
also the cheapest place to get hardware?

Nelson

Old June 26th 04, 05:55 AM

From: "Nelson Lee"

Here on the West Coast, Futile Shop is usually the most expensive place to
get cd media. It's routinely much cheaper everywhere else.
Is this typical of the Maritimes (I'm assuming this from the details)? Is it
also the cheapest place to get hardware?

futile shop is about the cheapest here in the maritimes. they offer lots
of rebates which really bring the prices of stuff down so they're pretty
competitive. staples and the local shops are all quite a bit behind.
radio shrek is usually a lost cause with high prices and no-nothing staff.
none of the big stores have anyone working for them who knows anything,
however, so if you have questions, you need to get answers elsewhere.

i feel guilty going to a small shop to ask for advice when i don't buy
anything because their prices are too high so i feel better asking here on
the internet.