Scarcity of High Speed, Ultra Speed, and Ultra Speed Plus CDRWmedia?

Old April 10th 04, 12:55 AM
mike

Default Scarcity of High Speed, Ultra Speed, and Ultra Speed Plus CDRWmedia?

wrote:
I've been thinking about replacing my old CRX140E CD-RW drive with the
newer Sony CRX230E which claims to read and write to CDR at 52x while
rewriting to CDRW at 32x. I went to Compusa, Bestbuy, and Office
Depot, as well as a few other local computer stores but found that
most of the CD-RW media being sold is 1x-4x type and that there are
not much in terms of high speed cd-rw and ultra speed cd-rw except for
a box of 5 or 10 at best and some of those at 650MB instead of 700MB.
I can't even find any ultraspeed plus cdrws except for Verbatim after
a long google search. Since I use cd-rws more than cd-rs because of
their reusability, my primary reason of upgrading the cd-rw drive was
to get better rewrite speeds past 4x which of course require both the
drive and the media to be that. Are these higher speed cd-rw media
past 4x not reliable for longer term storage? And why is it that the
drives come out as 32x rewritable yet 16x-24 and 32x rewritable cd
media is rare? Should I stick to CRX140E and not go for CRX230E?
Please help.

I had the same problem. Bought some Memorex 24X at Compusa. They do
burn and verify, but there are a LOT of C2 errors that scare me.

With the migration to DVD, I wouldn't expect the manufacturers to spend
a lot of effort making CDRW better. Check around most of the
department/chain stores. Target, Wallmart, etc. You rarely find CDRW
above 4X. If there were a market, higher speed would be there.

I've had excellent luck with the HP branded 25-spindle of 12X that Fry's
sells for about $15.
mike

--
Return address is VALID.
Toshiba & Compaq LiIon Batteries, Test Equipment

Old April 10th 04, 03:08 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have proof of misquotes!!! )

wrote:

I took a look at Mike
Richter's page after I saw an interesting link in one of the messages
in the newsgroup. I am concerned about the part where Mike Richter
says that higher speed cd-rw is less reliable than 2x or 1-4x type.

A lot of the DirectCD problems that are slimily blamed on the cd-rw
media (and the packet writing format) are caused by these DirectCD
bugs. Most of what Mike Richter spews about cd-rw media (and packet
writing) is to cover up these DirectCD bugs:

-----------------------
DirectCD 3.05
Fixes

Some older, low-speed recorders cannot correctly write high-speed
rated CD-RW media, but DirectCD would formerly allow you to try.

DirectCD now checks the media and
will reject as appropriate. === FIXED ???

DirectCD 5.3.4
Fixed:

Burn to Ultra High Speed media on non-Ultra High Speed Drives,
no longer allowed === FIX a FIX ???
-----------------------

For example:

Mike Richter & "Looooooooonng" Time for Nothing

=====================
From: Mike Richter (cRoxio Shill)
Subject: roxio direct CD
Date: 6/30/02

When DCD formats, it reads back each sector
to be sure it's well prepared.

With a mismatch, many sectors fail which means
formatting takes a looooooooonng time ...
=====================

After the "looooooooonng" time, the least you'd expect is the media is
"proven." Nah, not with DirectCD.

====================================
From: Mike Richter (cRoxio Shill)
Subject: Help! Can't copy files to Direct CD
Date: 9/30/02

I'm having a problem with Direct CD. I think it started when I
upgraded to 5.3.1.154. I upgraded again to 5.3.1.154 SP4,
hoping that would fix it, but it's the same.

It is more likely due to a problem with your medium than with the
updates. Are you writing to erasables or write-once blanks? Your
symptoms are familiar to those trying to write fixed-length packets

to an unproven medium.
=====================================

After all that "looooooooonng" time, the medium is still "unproven" !!!

Why waste "looooooooonng" time then ???!!!

------------------------
Roxio - What a Joke !!!
------------------------
Old April 10th 04, 03:09 AM
smh

wrote:

I took a look at Mike
Richter's page after I saw an interesting link in one of the messages
in the newsgroup. I am concerned about the part where Mike Richter
says that higher speed cd-rw is less reliable than 2x or 1-4x type.

When Mikey was shilling for Take Two, supposedly a backup software, the
supposedly flaky, fragile, forgetful, unreliable cd-rw media was good
enough for BACKUP, of all things, even when combined with the supposedly
flaky, fragile, faulty, unreliable fixed-length packet format:

=======================
From: Mike Richter (Acraptec Shill)
Subject: A note on Take Two
Date: 9/1/99

You may back up ... to a DCD-formatted erasable.
=======================

But then when the reports of DirectCD bugs started pouring in, the same
combination of cd-rw media and packet writing "format" that was good
enough for backup became LETHAL:

=====================
From: Mike Richter (Roxio Shill)
Subject: File Integrity Errors - DirectCD Bug?
Date: 10/15/01

Combining the flaky UDF fixed-length packets with
the tendency of erasables (particularly HS) to forget
is LETHAL for archiving.
=====================
(Note: Mikey is condemning ALL cd-rw media.)

Then again when Mikey was shilling for DirectCD, the reliability of
CD-RW media does not even matter at all:

======================
From: Mike Richter (Friggin' Scum)
Subject: Keeping Old Data Disks Readable
Date: 2/28/04

Fixed-length packets create the least reliable, most fragile
format available for writing CDs.

However, they can still be read
if written to the standard (as DCD always has).
======================

---------------------------
Wow! What a Friggin' ****!
---------------------------
Old April 10th 04, 03:10 AM
smh

===========================
From: "ned ludd"
Subject: Older CD-RWs
Date: 10/19/02

Tim Kroesen (Pipsqueak) "Ummmmmm"-ed:

The media of course *proved* to be unreliable over time.

*Only* in his Plextor. It's wild extrapolation to suggest that there is
some innate problem with burning LS media in a HS drive based on this
experience and newsgroup noise, most of which relates to one brand of
(presumably low quality) media.

You and Mike may possess psychic newsreaders which are capable of
accurately divining whether we are dealing with the disgruntled minority
(if that defence is good enough for EZCD/DCD, why is this any
different?) who can't burn RW reliably or whether this really is a
widespread problem, but I remain wary of trying to draw conclusions from
newsgroup noise.

Still waiting for my HS burned LS media to show any signs of fading,
some of it approaching 2 years old. Not that I'd use it for storing
anything I couldn't afford to lose.

=========================
From: "ned ludd"
Date: 10/21/02

Tim Kroesen (Pipsqueak) "Ummmmmm"-ed:

It's the same repeated NG 'noise' as you call it what DOCUMENTS CDRW
data loss as a widespread problem.

Failure to write or format the discs in the first place seems to be at
least as much of a problem as data loss.

Widespread in the context of this newsgroup perhaps. How representative
of the 50-60 million writers produced each year the problem is, remains
far from clear to me, if not to you.

Hardware newsgroup are littered with complaints about dead hard drives,
crap motherboards, in years past Zip drives with the click of death and
so on, in all cases it's a vociferous minority which gives rise to the
impression of a more widespread problem. Even when there was an
acknowledged problem - Zip drives, the numbers involved amounted to
little more than 1% of production. Is that your idea of widespread?

In the days when EZCD/DCD was bundled with most writers this newsgroup
was full of complaints about that software, yet these were dismissed as
the complaints of a disgruntled minority. Not for the first time, what's
different here apart from your (2nd hand) prejudices?

Pay attention; we read about it nearly every day...

Not unless my newsreader is missing posts, very few in the last few
months. You're the one not paying attention.

Mike's is one of the few (or possibly the only) case of good quality
media fading documented here.

The rest are almost always Memorex, THAT's what is documented. If you
combine very ordinary media with writers of similarly poor RW ability
you obviously can have problems, and those problems existed before HS
writers arrived on the scene. What's also been documented here is that
some Teac, Plextor IDE and other HS writers can burn even these discs
well. There have also been reports of HS media failing to write or
format.

Just because it hasn't happened to you yet does not
mean it doesn't exist...

And just because it happened to Mike doesn't mean that it's nearly
universal or even 'widespread'.

Mike changed his tune publicly when he
personally experienced CDRW data 'fade'; will you if it occurs?

Don't hold your breath waiting g, my testing seems to indicate a
lifespan of several years at least, and that's long enough for my needs.
And if I do see fade it may well be that the burner is on its way out.
=========================
Old April 10th 04, 08:21 PM
smh

wrote:

I took a look at Mike
Richter's page after I saw an interesting link in one of the messages
in the newsgroup. I am concerned about the part where Mike Richter
says that higher speed cd-rw is less reliable than 2x or 1-4x type.

-------------------------------
Mikey sees CD-RW everywhere (i)
-------------------------------

=================================
From: smh
Subject: Fragile Galore
Date: 11/16/01

Mike Richter (Slimy Scum) spewed:

Erasable media are not recommended for archival storage.
They're fragile and tend to be forgetful.

Seems CD-R is also fragile:

-----------------------
From: Jack Box
Subject: Salvaging Direct CD CDs?
Date: 7/1/01

Mike Richter (Friggin' Scum) spewed:

I'm guessing that these are erasables. If so,
you are a victim of the forgetfulness of the medium.

my DirCD discs "in peril" are all CD-Rs (various mfrs)
not CD-RWs
-----------------------
=================================

-------------------------------
Mikey, you are a Friggin' ****!
-------------------------------
Old April 10th 04, 08:22 PM
smh

wrote:

I took a look at Mike
Richter's page after I saw an interesting link in one of the messages
in the newsgroup. I am concerned about the part where Mike Richter
says that higher speed cd-rw is less reliable than 2x or 1-4x type.

--------------------------------
Mikey sees CD-RW everywhere (ii)
--------------------------------

From: Peter Kronenberg
Date: 10/1/02

Peter Kronenberg wrote:

I'm having a problem with Direct CD. I think it started when I
upgraded to 5.3.1.154. I upgraded again to 5.3.1.154 SP4, hoping
that would fix it, but it's the same.

It is more likely due to a problem with your medium
than with the updates.

Are you writing to erasables or write-once blanks?

Your symptoms are familiar to those trying to write
fixed-length packets to an unproven medium.

I'm writing to the same batch of CD-R disks
that I've been using for a while.

-------------------------------
Mikey, you are a Friggin' ****!
-------------------------------
Old April 10th 04, 08:26 PM
smh

wrote:

I took a look at Mike
Richter's page after I saw an interesting link in one of the messages
in the newsgroup. I am concerned about the part where Mike Richter
says that higher speed cd-rw is less reliable than 2x or 1-4x type.

------------------------------------
Mike Richter is a LIAR (supplied cd)
------------------------------------

If Nero, the supplied cd is NOT the prob, but
if DirectCD, the supplied cd IS the problem!

If Nero, the supplied cd is NOT the problem

=====================
From: Mike Richter (Lying Scum)
Subject: Burn my first CD-R,
Date: 11/11/02

And it failed. Got a Write Error, using Nero.
I used the CD-R disk that came with my new Lite-On Drive.

It should not be the disc
if it is the one supplied by the drive manufacturer ...
=====================

From: col
Subject: DirectCD reports CD-RW as bad
Date: 10/6/01

DirectCD 3.05 reports my (one and only) CD-RW as "Unsupported or bad
media" yet Easy CD Creator sees it for what it is. It seems odd that
the CD-RW that came with the drive (a LG 8120B) doesn't work.

=====================
From: Mike Richter (Slimy Scum)
Date: 10/6/01

The report is probably accurate ...
Look for a line of blanks which fit your drive better ...

=====================
From: AquamanA
Date: 10/8/01

I also have the LG CED-8120B drive, firmware 1.02. When moving to 3.05
DirectCD I got the same error message. When I dropped back down to
3.03b, the message went away and the drive worked properly.

I determined this to be a bug in the new software version as a result...

Just use the older DirectCD, your problem will go away.
=====================

----------------------------
Mikey, you are a Lying Scum!
----------------------------
Old April 11th 04, 05:19 AM
smh

wrote:

I took a look at Mike
Richter's page after I saw an interesting link in one of the messages
in the newsgroup. I am concerned about the part where Mike Richter
says that higher speed cd-rw is less reliable than 2x or 1-4x type.

(Wonder if Mikey can put a number to the "less"?)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (chicken little)(ii)

=====================
From: Mike Richter (Friggin' ****)
Date: 4/3/03

Those with max speed of 4x and 2x should be reserved for
non-HighSpeed drives;

they will not work at all in UltraSpeed.

=====================
From: Mike Richter (Friggin' Scum)
Date: 11/26/03

There may be an UltraSpeed drive which will write
as slowly as 4x, but I don't know of it.

======================
From: Mike Richter (Friggin' ****)
Date: 12/24/03

If it's UltraSpeed, it wants discs in similarly marked packages
- rated 16x and above.

======================
From: Mike Richter (Friggin' Scum)
Subject: cd-rw burning
Date: 12/25/03

While some newer writers can usually do a decent job
with lower-rated media

======================
From: Mike Richter (Friggin' ****)
Date: 1/11/04

There are three types of discs and drives: Ultra Speed
(such as your drive), High Speed and unspecified. You may be
able to write to an unspecified disc - maximum speed 4x - but
your are unlikely for the write to be usable. In fact, that is
also likely with a High Speed disc

======================
From: Mike Richter (Friggin' Scum)
Date: 1/25/04

When I try to format CD-RW media with Direct CD
my system (Win98) reboots.

Your drive appears to be Ultra Speed
If you are using High Speed or unspecified media,
that alone can cause the problem.

And the sky is falling Chicken Little, go tell the king

Mikey, you are a Friggin' ****!