Cost of blank CDs versus DVDs

Old April 8th 04, 11:17 AM
Doug Ramage

Default Cost of blank CDs versus DVDs

"Sandy" wrote in message
I don't yet have a DVD recorder so I am a bit vague about what the
details are.

First if all, would I use DVD-RW or DVD+RW to make backups of jpegs
and mpegs?

Secondly, am I right in thinking that I can us an approximate
multiplier of 2 to 2.5 when estimating the cost of a balnk DVD
comnpared to a blank CD of roughly the same quality?

Often difficult to compare.

I use Verbatim 4x dvd-r media (as it will write at 8x in my burner) at 89p
per disc, and the 48x Verbatim cd-r discs are about 50p each.

Having said that, I have a stock of about 200 blank cd-rs, and have not
bought any for over a year, and use them very rarely.
--
Doug Ramage

Old April 8th 04, 11:34 AM
JethroUK©

"Sandy" wrote in message
I don't yet have a DVD recorder so I am a bit vague about what the
details are.

First if all, would I use DVD-RW or DVD+RW to make backups of jpegs
and mpegs?

Secondly, am I right in thinking that I can us an approximate
multiplier of 2 to 2.5 when estimating the cost of a balnk DVD
comnpared to a blank CD of roughly the same quality?

in your costing, you also need to consider that a dvd will hold 4 times more
than a cd - so 1 x 2.5 /4 = cheaper than cd )

Old April 8th 04, 12:19 PM

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 10:40:57 +0100, Sandy wrote:

I don't yet have a DVD recorder so I am a bit vague about what the
details are.

First if all, would I use DVD-RW or DVD+RW to make backups of jpegs
and mpegs?

You can use DVD-R/+R or RWs.

A little while ago the write once disks were plummeting in price while
the RWs were still ridiculously priced but recently there has been a
string of rebate sales at compusa and office max on RWs at around $1-2
a disk.

Secondly, am I right in thinking that I can us an approximate
multiplier of 2 to 2.5 when estimating the cost of a balnk DVD
comnpared to a blank CD of roughly the same quality?

Really depends because some people get a lot of free after rebate
deals on CDRs or at least super cheap deals though these have gotten
bit more scarce lately. They have started DVDs too but they arent
quite as frequent and they arent free after rebate.

Compusa had $20 disk DVD-R packs for $10 w/o rebate recently and often
have sales around the $15 range for the same pack or $10 for a 15 pack
etc These arent the best media types though. Office Max actually had a
free after rebate once or twice and often has drastically reduced
prices on cheapo Khypermedia DVD-R and +R disks.

They also have lukewarm deals on Imation and other brands.

Office Depot often has a recurring two for one spindle deal of 50 or
25 DVD-R/+R - sometimes Verbatim , often Philips --- deals. Some got
an even better deal another 50% off the price but it was only
available in some regions a while back - mainly S calif I think.

Old April 8th 04, 02:39 PM
TommyDale

"JethroUK©" wrote in message news:ZV9dc.32$qe5.4@newsfe1-win...
"Sandy" wrote in message
I don't yet have a DVD recorder so I am a bit vague about what the
details are.

First if all, would I use DVD-RW or DVD+RW to make backups of jpegs
and mpegs?

Secondly, am I right in thinking that I can us an approximate
multiplier of 2 to 2.5 when estimating the cost of a balnk DVD
comnpared to a blank CD of roughly the same quality?

in your costing, you also need to consider that a dvd will hold 4 times more
than a cd - so 1 x 2.5 /4 = cheaper than cd )

A DVD holds 6.7 Times the data of a CD, assuming the CD is 700MB
Old April 8th 04, 04:44 PM
Doug Ramage

"Sandy" wrote in message
"Mike Kohary" wrote:

I don't yet have a DVD recorder so I am a bit vague about
what the details are.

First if all, would I use DVD-RW or DVD+RW to make backups of
jpegs and mpegs?

You'd want to use DVD-R or DVD+R (most drives write both), as
the write-once formats are more reliable.

if I had a choice of either one of those two to use then what
differences are there between the two?

Usually down to price and compatibility - my burner does both formats at (up
to) 8x. But since it can burn the 4x speed Verbatim dvd-r at 8x, this is
what I use. My standalone dvd player only burns dvd-r.
--
Doug Ramage

Old April 8th 04, 04:57 PM
Yad

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 10:40:57 +0100, Sandy wrote:

I don't yet have a DVD recorder so I am a bit vague about what the
details are.

First if all, would I use DVD-RW or DVD+RW to make backups of jpegs
and mpegs?

Secondly, am I right in thinking that I can us an approximate
multiplier of 2 to 2.5 when estimating the cost of a balnk DVD
comnpared to a blank CD of roughly the same quality?

Cost per megabyeis far cheaper on a dvd than a cd.
CD media is still cheaper but look atthe cost per megabyte to get a
better idea.

Only use dvd-rw/+rw for test burns or if you plan to over write
movies, else use dvd-r/+r media.

Old April 8th 04, 10:54 PM
Brendan R. Wehrung

"Mike Kohary" ) writes:
"Mike Kohary" wrote in message
"Sandy" wrote in message
I don't yet have a DVD recorder so I am a bit vague about what the
details are.

First if all, would I use DVD-RW or DVD+RW to make backups of jpegs
and mpegs?

You'd want to use DVD-R or DVD+R (most drives write both), as the

write-once
formats are more reliable.

Secondly, am I right in thinking that I can us an approximate
multiplier of 2 to 2.5 when estimating the cost of a balnk DVD
comnpared to a blank CD of roughly the same quality?

It varies. Check your Sunday newspaper ads for good deals at office

supply
or electronics stores. I get my DVD-R discs (various brands, depending on
sales) for about $1 each.

In fact, here's a spindle of 100 Memorex discs for $99 at Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg.../-/B0000ET7U6/

Mike

A search of nes groups suggested that Memorex didn't work for a lot of
people. If results are going to be bad, might as well go for the cheaper
Kypermedia.

Brendan

Old April 9th 04, 04:14 AM
actorguy2001

"Mike Kohary" wrote in message ...

In fact, here's a spindle of 100 Memorex discs for $99 at Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg.../-/B0000ET7U6/

Mike

I've just finished my first spindle of these and am very pleased...

Ven Hawkins
Old April 9th 04, 10:40 PM
Don Nickell

Mike Kohary wrote:

"Sandy" wrote in message
"Mike Kohary" wrote:

I don't yet have a DVD recorder so I am a bit vague about
what the details are.

First if all, would I use DVD-RW or DVD+RW to make backups of
jpegs and mpegs?

You'd want to use DVD-R or DVD+R (most drives write both), as
the write-once formats are more reliable.

if I had a choice of either one of those two to use then what
differences are there between the two?

Nothing significant. DVD-R is slightly more compatible with set-top DVD
players than DVD+R, and that's about it. That would only be a concern to
you if you planned to play DVDs on other peoples' players (in which case I'd
go with DVD-R), but it sounds like you're just doing backups. As long as
one or the other (or both) work on the player(s) you need them to, you're
set to go.

Mike

There's another consideration, Mike. Concerns those that use commercial
products such as Paint Shop Pro Photo Album. They use their own internal
burner software. I don't know about others of the same sort.

What about the ISO)?) standard for CD-RWs, it it compatable with DVD+/-R?

Old April 15th 04, 05:21 PM
BF

Actually it is about 6.2 times because you can only burn about 4.4
gigs on a DVD not 4.7, but who is really counting. It is a lot more
than a cd and I just bought a 50 pack for $43.

A DVD holds 6.7 Times the data of a CD, assuming the CD is 700MB