external CD-RW

Old February 1st 04, 04:00 AM
the yeti

Default external CD-RW

I have an Acer 4x USB CDRW. I have no need for this device. I would
like to remove the CDRW and insert a harddrive. Is this possible? I
have it apart and the HD hooked up, but Win2k wants drivers. The CDRW
drivers don't work.

Is the logic board that converts USB to IDE only designed for optical
drives? Any way to update the Firmware? Point me in the right
direction for a driver that will work?

TIA

Yeti
Old February 1st 04, 02:33 PM
Enkidu

the yeti wrote:

I have an Acer 4x USB CDRW. I have no need for this device. I would
like to remove the CDRW and insert a harddrive. Is this possible? I
have it apart and the HD hooked up, but Win2k wants drivers. The CDRW
drivers don't work.

Is the logic board that converts USB to IDE only designed for optical
drives? Any way to update the Firmware? Point me in the right
direction for a driver that will work?

TIA

Yeti

Yeti,

I did the same thing with bits of an external CDRW that had a Freecom
PCI to IDE interface. It worked with the Freecom driver in both
Win98SE and WinXP. However, since the driver wasn't for a harddrive,
it wouldn't spin down as long as it was connected, but it did work.

Enkidu

Old February 1st 04, 03:35 PM
Mike S.

In article ,
the yeti wrote:
I have an Acer 4x USB CDRW. I have no need for this device. I would
like to remove the CDRW and insert a harddrive. Is this possible? I
have it apart and the HD hooked up, but Win2k wants drivers. The CDRW
drivers don't work.

Does Win2k recognize the CDRW in its case without special drivers? If not,
then the chipset inside the converter board probably doesn't accurately
emulate a USB mass-storage device.

Is the logic board that converts USB to IDE only designed for optical
drives? Any way to update the Firmware? Point me in the right
direction for a driver that will work?

Look at the board itself for the identity of the LSI chipset that does the
IDE-to-USB translation. Generic drivers for that type of interface might
be available on the net.

Old February 4th 04, 01:06 PM
the yeti

Is the logic board that converts USB to IDE only designed for optical
drives? Any way to update the Firmware? Point me in the right
direction for a driver that will work?

Look at the board itself for the identity of the LSI chipset that does the
IDE-to-USB translation. Generic drivers for that type of interface might
be available on the net.

This thing has a ALI M5619 A1 chip on one side and a winbond cip on the back.

Google search for "ALI M5619 A1" returns 1 result, a link which is no longer valid.
Old February 4th 04, 02:43 PM
Mike S.

In article ,
the yeti wrote:

Is the logic board that converts USB to IDE only designed for optical
drives? Any way to update the Firmware? Point me in the right
direction for a driver that will work?

Look at the board itself for the identity of the LSI chipset that does the
IDE-to-USB translation. Generic drivers for that type of interface might
be available on the net.

This thing has a ALI M5619 A1 chip on one side and a winbond cip on the back.

Google search for "ALI M5619 A1" returns 1 result, a link which is no
longer valid.

Try:

http://www.aliusa.com/eng/support/support_driver.htm

On the brink of madness... I.C. Koets General 18 January 31st 05 10:49 PM
suspect "external" modem is really internal modem sharon Homebuilt PC's 3 December 9th 04 04:32 PM
cloning to external USB hd question !Allen Lasting Homebuilt PC's 9 November 14th 04 07:17 PM
Updrade PC Guy Smith General 22 August 15th 04 01:57 AM
errors copying externall CD-ROM drive to external hard drive MJH General 0 July 6th 04 11:55 AM