Will Nero6 fix this Nero5 annoyance?

Old January 6th 04, 10:36 PM
Bill

When I had trouble with Nero cutting the final split second of tracks, these
were tracks with no silence at the end. They were meant to seamlessly blend
together when played back from CD. Each time, Nero 6 Ultra Edition would cut
off a split second at the end of each track--it was very annoying, and made
burning the project with Nero impossible.

The tracks, if opened up in Nero's wave file editor, would play properly.
Drag those same track to Nero's "to burn" list and the final split second
would be cut off, whether the track was burned to disc or whether you
clicked on it to preview.

I honestly wondered at first if somehow the files were at fault, but
Verita's RecordNow DX software burns the same tracks correctly.

"dgk" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 22:49:08 GMT, "Bill" wrote:

I also had trouble with Nero cutting out a final split second
at the end of audio files that had no silence at the close. Their website
recommended disabling the "remove silence at the end of audio files"

option
to remedy this. I tried, and still got the same results.

I've read about this before but never really noticed it happening, or
how I would notice without comparing a checksum. Would it result in a
click or pop between consecutive tracks? Does this mean the track
isn't cut on a sector boundry? All tracks end with silence, don't
they?

Old January 6th 04, 10:58 PM
Bill

Thank you for the links--again, I'm happy to know that others have
experienced this same issue. In my case, the problem was discovered while
working with mp3s/waves that had been created using Wavelab 4.0.

"XPG" wrote in message

Thank you for confirming that I'm not the only one who has experienced

this
problem--in online user reviews that I've read about the software, I've

seen
no other mention of it.

Most people don't care about that...
It was discussed here two years ago:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...andrew.cmu.edu

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...0oj6hli%404 a
x.com

I shook my head in disbelief upon discovering this
anomaly--it's just one of the reasons that I opted not to purchase Nero
Ultra Edition.

This was a general bug in versions from 5.5.0.0 to 5.5.8.0.
Later it was fixed, at least in my system.
Now, Nero does the same but only with tracks with a size not multiple of a
CD-DA sector (MP3 files or WAV files not extracted from CD).
If it still does it always in your system, I wouldn't be surprised... it

has
too many bugs.

Old January 7th 04, 02:12 AM
Leon Manfredi

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 19:54:31 +0100, "XPG" wrote:

I'll give it and EAC another try.

Feurio can also read compliant cuesheets from EAC:
Feurio CD-Manager - Project - Create project from chesheet file

My hobby is collecting bootleg live
recordings, so I let these things download and pile up on the drives
for a few days and then can burn 20 discs in a night. Tough to listen
to them all. But I want the burning process to be very easy.

If you only burn and then forget them (never insert the disc or burn the
same project again), then there's no obvious advantage over Nero regarding
interface.

If it's MP3 format, two advantages: Feurio will detect corrupt MP3 files and
tell you the position of the errors.
Feurio is one of the few programs that allows you to set the pauses for
"live" discs. Use the 1st "Do not insert pauses" Setting for that. Then, you
would still have to remove the silences that MP3 format has (the "Set
start/end position" Track Editor is great to do that easily).

The drive that didn't work in Furio was something that came in an HP
machine at the office. A CyberDrv CD058D. Must be pretty common if the
HP machines have them.

Those drives are not speacially bugfree. That is supported and recommended
by Feurio since 1.65, so it should be correctly detected.

At home I have several LiteOns and something else that was almost free
after rebate, maybe a BusLink. All work very well. I never get
coasters.

Most LiteOns are supported by Feurio:
http://www.feurio.com/English/cd_roms/index.shtml
good drives

My Plextor_708A and LiteOn_811S, are working on each computer
with mitsui_cdr's, using Nero6.....after a bit of detective work
with "dll" and "vxd" files, in windows/system/iosubsys. (Win98SE)

Old January 7th 04, 09:09 AM
Graham Mayor

XPG wrote:
Feurio can also read compliant cuesheets from EAC:
Feurio CD-Manager - Project - Create project from chesheet file

EAC produces enhanced cue sheets that are not 100% compliant, under some
circumstances - eg when inserting files as index entries rather than track
entries. CDRCue, which does produce compliant sheets will not handle this
type of extension. I have not played enough with Feurio to determine how it
would handle EAC's enhanced sheets.

What we need next is for David Ching to find the time to finish the updated
cue sheet editor version 2 that he has been threatening for far too long

--

Graham Mayor

Old January 7th 04, 10:06 AM
XPG

In my case, the problem was discovered while
working with mp3s/waves that had been created using Wavelab 4.0.

then, the problem was probably because the size of your WAVs wasn't multiple
of a CD-DA sector (588 samples)...
I'm surprised that RecordNow could burn it correctly. I'd guess that it
would fill the last sector with silence, like most programs (Nero deletes
samples instead of filling with silence).
And Feurio (and probably Wavelab) can do it correctly.

Old January 7th 04, 10:08 AM
XPG

EAC produces enhanced cue sheets that are not 100% compliant, under some
circumstances

You can configure EAC to produce compliant cuesheets, anyway...
And the resulting image will produce the same disc...

I have not played enough with Feurio to determine how it
would handle EAC's enhanced sheets.

Feurio only loads compliant cuesheets, like CDRWin, Nero, etc.

Old January 7th 04, 11:09 AM
Graham Mayor

XPG wrote:
EAC produces enhanced cue sheets that are not 100% compliant, under
some circumstances

You can configure EAC to produce compliant cuesheets, anyway...
And the resulting image will produce the same disc...

The ability to append files as an index is not compliant, and I have not
noticed any way to switch this off. To be fair, it is not a function that
most people would use much, but when splitting recordings from FM or TV it
can be useful.

--

Graham Mayor

Old January 7th 04, 02:09 PM
dgk

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 11:09:21 -0000, "Graham Mayor"
wrote:

XPG wrote:
EAC produces enhanced cue sheets that are not 100% compliant, under
some circumstances

You can configure EAC to produce compliant cuesheets, anyway...
And the resulting image will produce the same disc...

The ability to append files as an index is not compliant, and I have not
noticed any way to switch this off. To be fair, it is not a function that
most people would use much, but when splitting recordings from FM or TV it
can be useful.

Oh oh. EAC appears to be out of the running! I installed it in my new
computer and it failed to recognize either the CD burner (LiteOn 52X)
or the DVD burner (Optorite 0203). In the configuration option it just
showed a single checkbox with no drive name. I suspect it may be
because the OS is Win2003 Enterprise Server but don't know for sure.
I'll try it on another machine that is running XP.
Old January 7th 04, 06:33 PM
XPG

well, I only meant that you can rip any disc and the copy from the compliant
cuesheet will be the same as from a non compliant cuesheet...

Old January 8th 04, 05:53 AM
Neroed

wrote:

XPG wrote:
EAC produces enhanced cue sheets that are not 100% compliant, under
some circumstances

You can configure EAC to produce compliant cuesheets, anyway...
And the resulting image will produce the same disc...

The ability to append files as an index is not compliant, and I have not
noticed any way to switch this off. To be fair, it is not a function that
most people would use much, but when splitting recordings from FM or TV it
can be useful.

Oh oh. EAC appears to be out of the running! I installed it in my new
computer and it failed to recognize either the CD burner (LiteOn 52X)
or the DVD burner (Optorite 0203). In the configuration option it just
showed a single checkbox with no drive name. I suspect it may be
because the OS is Win2003 Enterprise Server but don't know for sure.
I'll try it on another machine that is running XP.

Using EAC here with a LiteOn 52x32x52 (and an older Iomega ZIP650). Both
drives are recognized and function. I only have it installed on a Win98
machine for now, not on my XP box yet. I'm guessing it will function on XP
as well.