Will Nero6 fix this Nero5 annoyance?

Old January 6th 04, 08:03 AM
Graham Mayor

The drag and drop issue is a Windows problem as you correctly state, but
there are arrows at the side of the compilation window that allow simple
shuffling of the file order (and it is usually only one track that is out).
Or you can insert the files individually when the problem doesn't arise.
Better still, you can use it in conjunction with a cue sheet, and if cue
sheets sound daunting, take a look at CDRCue from www.dcsoft.com which makes
them childs play and adds a whole new dimension to the power of EAC.

--

Graham Mayor

dgk wrote:
On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 14:41:14 -0000, "Graham Mayor"
wrote:

Save your money! Download a copy of Exact Audio Copy -
www.exactaudiocopy.de - You can choose not to have the 2 second
pre-gap and it will remember that setting. You also have much more
control over your audio disc preparation.
There's a tutorial to enable you to get the best from this product at
http://www.ping.be/satcp/eac11.htm

Not a bad idea but I tried that once. The problem with EAC was that
drag and drop acted funny. That is, the order of the tracks changed,
something like the first track became the next to last. I looked into
it and it isn't EAC, it was a Windows thing. I wrote a simple program
in Visual Basic and did a drag/drop and it got the order wrong also.
Other folks using drag and drop must be correcting it on their own.

But I will read the tutorial and try it again. Thanks.

Old January 6th 04, 08:06 AM
Graham Mayor

Nero is crap for audio - and I share your enthusiasm for RecordNow, but EAC
is better for audio - and Feurio too is good.

--

Graham Mayor

Bill wrote:
"XPG" wrote in message

permanently. I also had trouble with Nero cutting out a final split
second at the end of audio files that had no silence at the close

Nero does that since version 5 at least.

Thank you for confirming that I'm not the only one who has
experienced this problem--in online user reviews that I've read about
the software, I've seen no other mention of it. I shook my head in
disbelief upon discovering this anomaly--it's just one of the reasons
that I opted not to purchase Nero Ultra Edition.

Old January 6th 04, 01:47 PM
dgk

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 23:23:17 +0100, "XPG"
wrote:

Not a bad idea but I tried that once.

Have you tried Feurio?
The MP3 decoder is faster and better. It will detect corrupt MP3 files,
unlike Nero.
It's just much more serious than Nero.

See if your drive is supported:
http://www.feurio.com/English/cd_writer.shtml
The demo version has no limitation.

I tried Furio a little while back. I may have missed something (since
I didn't bother to read any instructions) but it seemed that I had to
use two separate programs just to burn a CD. First I had to create a
project, save it, and then use the other to open the project and burn
the CD. That was way too much effort. I just want to drag and drop
some wav files and call it a burn.

Please let me know if I got that wrong. Plus, I think Furio didn't
like my burner, which was a fairly common one. Oh, it's coming back to
me now. I had to guess which of several completely unknown (to me)
choices was like my burner. I think I just threw up my hands with that
one. EAC never seems to care, and Nero either supports it or doesn't.

Old January 6th 04, 02:04 PM
dgk

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 08:03:42 -0000, "Graham Mayor"
wrote:

The drag and drop issue is a Windows problem as you correctly state, but
there are arrows at the side of the compilation window that allow simple
shuffling of the file order (and it is usually only one track that is out).
Or you can insert the files individually when the problem doesn't arise.
Better still, you can use it in conjunction with a cue sheet, and if cue
sheets sound daunting, take a look at CDRCue from www.dcsoft.com which makes
them childs play and adds a whole new dimension to the power of EAC.

I used those arrows. It was more of a PITA than the Nero problem
(well, not the truncating problem, the 0 pause problem). It wasn't a
simple "move this track to the top" arrow. You had to select the track
and keep hitting the up arrow until it make it to the top. Very
annoying for a CD with 20 tracks on it.

However, I looked at the tutorial you pointed out previously (thanks
again for that). There is this interesting option:

"Correct bug of wrong filename order in Windows multiple file dialog:
(Default: Enabled, Recommended: Enabled) The Windows file selection
box has some strange behavior that occurs when selecting multiple
files, the first and last track will be exchanged. This occurs when
clicking the last file of the list as the last one. This function will
correct this and exchange both files again."

That's either something new or something I missed the first time
around. I'll have to try it. As I recall, the behavior was different
depending on whether you select the top file and then the bottom file,
or do the bottom one first. But the only way to know is to try it.

I'm also looking at the Cue Sheet program. That's sort of funny since
I wrote a very simple cue sheet program a few years back. Nothing
major, it just allows me to enter times into a textbox and when I'm
done, it copies the resulting listbox to the clipboard so I can paste
it into a cue sheet. His is much nicer I must say.
Old January 6th 04, 02:08 PM
dgk

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 22:49:08 GMT, "Bill" wrote:

I also had trouble with Nero cutting out a final split second
at the end of audio files that had no silence at the close. Their website
recommended disabling the "remove silence at the end of audio files" option
to remedy this. I tried, and still got the same results.

I've read about this before but never really noticed it happening, or
how I would notice without comparing a checksum. Would it result in a
click or pop between consecutive tracks? Does this mean the track
isn't cut on a sector boundry? All tracks end with silence, don't
they?
Old January 6th 04, 05:22 PM
XPG

I tried Furio a little while back. I may have missed something (since
I didn't bother to read any instructions) but it seemed that I had to
use two separate programs just to burn a CD.

Not exactly.
That's the problem of Feurio interface.
It's too strange the 1st times you open it or if you're a newbie.
Once you've learned how it works, there's nothing better and faster to
create compilations, IMHO.

First I had to create a
project, save it, and then use the other to open the project and burn
the CD. That was way too much effort. I just want to drag and drop
some wav files and call it a burn.

It can be done (and faster than Nero ;-) ), but that's not exactly the best
way.
You don't have to save the compilation... never: for me that's a great
advantage over Nero.
The project (compilation) will always be there (along with the rest of
projects) UNTIL you delete it. They're all automatically there when you open
the CD-Manager. You don't have to search your folders to look for your
typical compilations.

It's as simple as drag and drop the files (WAV or MP3) to the project and
press the "Burn" button.
Feurio CD-Writer will be then opened, with the correct project "loaded".
Press "Burn CD".

With Feurio you avoid the "Save compilation" step, and with Nero you avoid
the "Create compilation" step.

And you can really play and edit the compilation exactly as it will be
burned (not only the poor "Play" button in Nero)
Of course, the Feurio burning engine has always been better than Nero's (if
that wasn't the case, I wouldn't recommend it).
And if you rip with Feurio, C2 errors will be reported (if your drive
supports it).

Plus, I think Furio didn't
like my burner, which was a fairly common one.
Oh, it's coming back to
me now. I had to guess which of several completely unknown (to me)
choices was like my burner. I think I just threw up my hands with that
one.

What drive is it?
Feurio is at its best if the drive has been tested by them...
If it's not supported it's really a pain to correctly configure it and test
if it really works.

Old January 6th 04, 05:39 PM
dgk

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 18:22:42 +0100, "XPG"
wrote:

[...]

I'll give it and EAC another try. My hobby is collecting bootleg live
recordings, so I let these things download and pile up on the drives
for a few days and then can burn 20 discs in a night. Tough to listen
to them all. But I want the burning process to be very easy.

The drive that didn't work in Furio was something that came in an HP
machine at the office. A CyberDrv CD058D. Must be pretty common if the
HP machines have them.

At home I have several LiteOns and something else that was almost free
after rebate, maybe a BusLink. All work very well. I never get
coasters.

Well, thanks for all the help. The main answer was NO, NERO DID NOT
make the pause setting configurable. Very dumb. Eight zillion features
I don't need.

Furio, EAC, here I come.
Old January 6th 04, 05:48 PM
XPG

Thank you for confirming that I'm not the only one who has experienced

this
problem--in online user reviews that I've read about the software, I've

seen
no other mention of it.

Most people don't care about that...
It was discussed here two years ago:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...andrew.cmu.edu
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...0oj6hli%404 a
x.com

I shook my head in disbelief upon discovering this
anomaly--it's just one of the reasons that I opted not to purchase Nero
Ultra Edition.

This was a general bug in versions from 5.5.0.0 to 5.5.8.0.
Later it was fixed, at least in my system.
Now, Nero does the same but only with tracks with a size not multiple of a
CD-DA sector (MP3 files or WAV files not extracted from CD).
If it still does it always in your system, I wouldn't be surprised... it has
too many bugs.

Old January 6th 04, 05:55 PM
Graham Mayor

With reference to the arrows, there are two sets of them. One shifts the
selected track to top or bottom the other moves the track item by item (as
you described). You clearly need to use the other one

--

Graham Mayor

Old January 6th 04, 06:54 PM
XPG

I'll give it and EAC another try.

Feurio can also read compliant cuesheets from EAC:
Feurio CD-Manager - Project - Create project from chesheet file

My hobby is collecting bootleg live
recordings, so I let these things download and pile up on the drives
for a few days and then can burn 20 discs in a night. Tough to listen
to them all. But I want the burning process to be very easy.

If you only burn and then forget them (never insert the disc or burn the
same project again), then there's no obvious advantage over Nero regarding
interface.

If it's MP3 format, two advantages: Feurio will detect corrupt MP3 files and
tell you the position of the errors.
Feurio is one of the few programs that allows you to set the pauses for
"live" discs. Use the 1st "Do not insert pauses" Setting for that. Then, you
would still have to remove the silences that MP3 format has (the "Set
start/end position" Track Editor is great to do that easily).

The drive that didn't work in Furio was something that came in an HP
machine at the office. A CyberDrv CD058D. Must be pretty common if the
HP machines have them.

Those drives are not speacially bugfree. That is supported and recommended
by Feurio since 1.65, so it should be correctly detected.

At home I have several LiteOns and something else that was almost free
after rebate, maybe a BusLink. All work very well. I never get
coasters.

Most LiteOns are supported by Feurio:
http://www.feurio.com/English/cd_roms/index.shtml
good drives