Newbie VCD Question! Help!

Old December 31st 03, 10:30 PM
LADYAUSSIEFAN

Default Newbie VCD Question! Help!

Hi I'm a newbie to burning VCD's. I successfully burned a short one vcd full of
mpeg videos with Nero on my new laptop but I want to move up to burning full
length concerts. movies, tv series etc BUT is there a way with Nero 6 Ultra to
split a an avi/mpeg etc in half or whatever so I can put some of a large file
on one cdr and the other half on a second cdr? I'm using 700 mb cdr's. I want
to download the simpsons treehouse of horror collection but it's over 1 gig and
I want to SPLIT it. Can this be done with Nero or any other cdr burning
software???? My Nero did not come with a help file for some reason. I need
help!!

Candy
For Lambert Fans or VC fans
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Offici...artwright/join
Old January 1st 04, 12:20 AM

On 31 Dec 2003 22:30:33 GMT, ojunk
(LADYAUSSIEFAN) wrote:

Hi I'm a newbie to burning VCD's. I successfully burned a short one vcd full of
mpeg videos with Nero on my new laptop but I want to move up to burning full
length concerts. movies, tv series etc BUT is there a way with Nero 6 Ultra to
split a an avi/mpeg etc in half or whatever so I can put some of a large file
on one cdr and the other half on a second cdr? I'm using 700 mb cdr's. I want
to download the simpsons treehouse of horror collection but it's over 1 gig and
I want to SPLIT it. Can this be done with Nero or any other cdr burning
software???? My Nero did not come with a help file for some reason. I need
help!!

Candy
For Lambert Fans or VC fans
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Offici...artwright/join

DVD2svcd is free do a search in Google.
Its a front end for various utilities that are shareware or freeware.
The only problem is the enconder. You can use TMPG but that only uses
the Mpeg2 level for 30 days for free. After that you have to pay to
get it to work again.

Actually TMPG Enc will split some forms of videos and join them - the
manual way but it doesnt work on all formats - sometimes it will
reject the input and you can get out of sync errors with the sound
sometimes especially I think when joining them.

The best and easist thing though is the front end DvD2svcd if you look
under the MISC tab - you can change the input from DVD to AVI .

After that you just go to the usual CONVERSION tab and input the AVI
if it is AVI and the program does the rest. It converts it to mpeg and
then splits it to fit on CDRs and then even outputs cue/bins ready to
to burn as well as keeps the mpeg files.

Old January 1st 04, 06:52 PM
LADYAUSSIEFAN

DVD2svcd is free do a search in Google.
Its a front end for various utilities that are shareware or freeware.
The only problem is the enconder.

I believe I tried it with that but it didn't work. I downloaded a program I
think is called Jdub and I split the movie into two parts. It was quite easy
after hours of trial and error. I figured out how to split it but I was baffled
as to why the split part was HUGE like 4 mb's. I than realized I had to
compress the avi using a codec so I used my Divx codec(not sure if that was the
right one I should use) and it started encoding the avi movie. I did both parts
and now I'm burning the first part in SVCD format which I haven't done yet. I
have no idea if it will look any better in svcd but I will update for you.

I tried a program that rips dvd's to mpegs I think but it would take 10 hours.
Is there a program that takes less time to convert a DVD to vcd, svcd or mpeg?
I did a google search and one came up that claims it does it in less than an
hour but I think that one must be phoney or something. I'm a newbie to all this
so I really don't know! Anyone kind enough to point me in the right direction
or give me a name for such a program?

Candy

Old January 1st 04, 07:06 PM
LADYAUSSIEFAN

I NEVER found the program DVD2SVCD because all the zip files I d/l from the
dvd2svcd page were all corrupted. Does anyone actually have the zip for
dvd2svcd they could email to me? or point me in the direction of a WORKING zip
since so many of the links turned out to have bad zip files?

btw I have a Compaq laptop 2.4 ghz 256 mb ddr sdram, ati radeon 64 mb ddr
sdram(shared) with 40 gigs HD so I know I can rip a dvd and make vcd/svcd's.

Candy
Old January 1st 04, 11:21 PM
Lionel Carter

I split and edit, i.e. cut out bits from DVDs to put onto cds using
DaviDeo2.
So far it has compress dvds to avi quite well.
I found out about DaviDeo2 from a web search and being taken to their web
page. Reviews were good so I bought it and am very satisfied with it.
Shortly after getting it I found by accident that the coasters created by
Nero, that wouldn't read etc could be used to burn data to using DaviDeo2. I
salvaged all my cds from the waste bin and they are now functioning quite
happily for multisession writing.

Lionel Carter

Old January 2nd 04, 02:35 AM

On 01 Jan 2004 18:52:11 GMT, ojunk
(LADYAUSSIEFAN) wrote:

I tried a program that rips dvd's to mpegs I think but it would take 10 hours.
Is there a program that takes less time to convert a DVD to vcd, svcd or mpeg?

Hours is about the standard speed to encode. But remember this is a
front end to a variety of powerful shareware thats been used a long
time for doing these type of things. Theres tons of manual adjustments
you can do yourself in DVD2svcd or seperately in the tools .

The amount of time depends on your PC of course - more powerful CPU
can cut the time to some degree.

However changing the encoder in the encoder tab in the front end - the
precision motion search to NORMAL instead of highest quality can
usually reduce the time to 2-3 hours depending on the length of the
rip. Most peope say they cant tell the difference.

I notice Ive been seeing some degradation in some scenes though in
animation. Not all but some. The NORMAL/HIGH setting doesnt seem to
affect that though.

I did a google search and one came up that claims it does it in less than an
hour but I think that one must be phoney or something. I'm a newbie to all this
so I really don't know! Anyone kind enough to point me in the right direction
or give me a name for such a program?

Well if its low enough quality it might.
The min you should put up with is what I mentioned above.
Youll get really good quality generally and itll take about 2-3
sometimes 4 hours if its long.

With a few kids shows strangely enough - Ive been getting some
problems . Youll either have to live with it or tweak something to fix
it. Some pixelation in some scenes like Wiggles stuff I tried and the
occaisonal pixelation and some other problems in some scenes with
some , not all cartoons.

Do not go to VCD though ugh or try to lower the quality to much unless
you just dont care about quality. Ive seen a FEW vcds that were all
right but in general the sound and pic quality were horrendous.

If speed is you main concern and not cost - then go with a DVD burner.
Even at 2x it takes maybe 10-15 min to rip it and then 18 min or so to
burn.

The costs may be different where you are at though. DVD burners are
going way down in price here and media too finally. And where youre at
you might not get as good deals on CDRs - you can get them for free or
80% off often with rebates here. If the costs are converging where
youre at then you might want to go with DVD. In though I have a bother
- I used to just use CDRs cause they were often close to free w
rebates and DVds cost $2-3 in the past. Recently theyve dipped to .80
a disk locally - fairly easy to get so the time vs cost savings has
made it a more difficult choice.

Old January 2nd 04, 02:52 AM

On 01 Jan 2004 19:06:54 GMT, ojunk
(LADYAUSSIEFAN) wrote:

I NEVER found the program DVD2SVCD because all the zip files I d/l from the
dvd2svcd page were all corrupted. Does anyone actually have the zip for
dvd2svcd they could email to me? or point me in the direction of a WORKING zip
since so many of the links turned out to have bad zip files?

I just d/l it and unzipped it - works fine.

http://www.macsat.com/downloads.php

just click the ds1xxxxx.zip link.

btw I have a Compaq laptop 2.4 ghz 256 mb ddr sdram, ati radeon 64 mb ddr
sdram(shared) with 40 gigs HD so I know I can rip a dvd and make vcd/svcd's.

The main thing it gobbles up is HD space.
One thing you can do is use DVDryptor another free shareware ripper
and just dump the DVD to your HD to convert to SVCDs later.
Takes about 10-18 min. Then you have the vobs and ifos etc.

Then you can point dvd2svcd to the directory where the junk is to
convert later like overnight or something.

Old January 2nd 04, 06:04 AM
LADYAUSSIEFAN

Nice suggestion for dvd burner but I just bought my 2.4 ghz laptop and I'm not
about to buy a dvd burner right now. Hopefully in the future.

I actually found out what you mean concerning vcd's. I burned the first part of
a movie SVCD and the quality was pretty good. I was pleased but than I had to
burn the second part of the movie to a VCD and boy the quality went downhill!!
The svcd put the vcd to shame. I might actually try to burn it again to 3 cdr's
using svcd cuz vcd quality was definately poor. I'm thinking about kvcd too,
someone said it was easy to make a kvcd by opening up NERO regular not express,
uncheck the compliant box, pick the file and than burn. They said to ignore the
overburn feature and that you could get 2 hrs on one 80 min cdr but wouldn't
that damage my cdrw/dvd drive? I don't think it would work. dunno. I have just
discovered kvcd so if someone could help me using Nero ultra 6 I would
appreciate it.

Candy
Old January 2nd 04, 06:27 AM
LADYAUSSIEFAN

After that you just go to the usual CONVERSION tab and input the AVI
if it is AVI and the program does the rest. It converts it to mpeg and
then splits it to fit on CDRs and then even outputs cue/bins ready to
to burn as well as keeps the mpeg files.

I d/l dvd2svcd and put avi as the input but I don't see a button to start the
process at all.

Old January 2nd 04, 06:30 AM
LADYAUSSIEFAN

Nevermind it's converting in the dvd2svcd and I will see how it goes John. im a
little nervous trying the nero kvcd method, anyone try this?

Candy