Mount Rainier CD-RW format reliability ?

Old October 23rd 03, 06:09 AM
Libor Striz

Default Mount Rainier CD-RW format reliability ?

Hello,

what is your experiences with using
Mount Rainier write format ( by InCD im my case ) ?

It is said to be much better/more reliable
then common UDF packet writing.

I use it here and there for several weeks
for home-job one way file transporting,
works fine and no problems.

Other experiences ?

I have CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo LG GCC 4480B (48/24RW/48R/12DVD)

/ Win98SE / bundled Nero Express 5.5.9.9 + InCD 3.39.0 )

--
"Libor the Wanderer"
As dialup user I am sorry for late response.
Old October 23rd 03, 10:10 AM
Rick Pali

"Libor Striz" wrote:

what is your experiences with using
Mount Rainier write format ( by InCD im my case ) ?

My experience has been very good by UDF standards, but very poor by any
other standards. I lost a disc full of data just a few days ago when the
power failed while a MR disc was mounted. What really blew my mind was that
the disc was merely mounted and had not been written to since mounting. I
thought for sure I'd be fine since I couldn't imagine the disc had yet been
changed.

Live and learn...and I've since uninstalled the packet writer and bought an
external USB hard drive instead.

Rick.
-+---

http://www.alienshore.com/seeking/

Old October 23rd 03, 02:44 PM
wally

In article ogers.com, "Rick Pali" wrote:
"Libor Striz" wrote:

what is your experiences with using
Mount Rainier write format ( by InCD im my case ) ?

My experience has been very good by UDF standards, but very poor by any
other standards. I lost a disc full of data just a few days ago when the
power failed while a MR disc was mounted. What really blew my mind was that
the disc was merely mounted and had not been written to since mounting. I
thought for sure I'd be fine since I couldn't imagine the disc had yet been
changed.

Live and learn...and I've since uninstalled the packet writer and bought an
external USB hard drive instead.

My complaint with DirectCD and other packet writing software is
write interchange in multiple burners -- writing a disk in one
system, update files on it in another. Disk ends up corrupted
and all data lost after a couple of cycles.

I've seen no evidence that Mt Rainier addresses this issue. I'll
stay away and use CF cards as the "sneaker net" when necessary.

--wally.
Old October 29th 03, 09:03 PM

"Rick Pali" wrote in message ble.rogers.com...
"Libor Striz" wrote:

what is your experiences with using
Mount Rainier write format ( by InCD im my case ) ?

My experience has been very good by UDF standards, but very poor by any
other standards. I lost a disc full of data just a few days ago when the
power failed while a MR disc was mounted. What really blew my mind was that
the disc was merely mounted and had not been written to since mounting. I
thought for sure I'd be fine since I couldn't imagine the disc had yet been
changed.

Live and learn...and I've since uninstalled the packet writer and bought an
external USB hard drive instead.

Or get a DVD-RAM drive. No packet writing. Just drag and drop.
$1/GB for catridge protected media.
Old October 29th 03, 09:50 PM
doug

My initial experience was a nightmare! I installed a Lite-On 52x24x52 in my
PC, using Roxio 5/Direct CD. The new Lite-On was replacing a 32x Lite-On. As
soon as I inserted a CD-RW disk with data already written to it, it got
trashed. Testing revealed:

Any CR-RW burned on a non-MR unit was trashed by the new Lite-On MR unit
Any CD-RW burned on the new Lite-On was unreadable on any other burner, even
after installing the new version EasyWrite utility

This does seem to be a problem with Roxio - I've seen the same problem with
Nero. This new MR spec is bullsh*t.

doug

Old October 29th 03, 11:08 PM
doug

I meant to write "This does NOT seem to be a problem with Roxio." Sorry.

Also, this problem is only with packet writing, in case that wasn't clear.

doug

Old October 30th 03, 09:50 PM
Libor Striz

doug Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:08:18 -0500
wrote ...

I meant to write "This does NOT seem to be a problem with Roxio." Sorry.

Also, this problem is only with packet writing, in case that wasn't clear.

doug

I have still repeated burnt the same CR-MRW at home
and read them on plain CD-ROM ( with MR reader installed ), no problem.

windows XP format hdd Christo General 2 November 19th 04 07:48 PM
Tyan Mini 1U Rack Mount Chassis (14", 200W, 1/2 HD, 1 CD, LED Panel, etc) APPLIANCE JohnNews Overclocking AMD Processors 2 August 10th 04 08:40 AM
How to format without a CD-RW? Bogus Fracture General 3 August 6th 04 05:40 AM
Can low level format but not High Level Chukyo Homebuilt PC's 4 December 31st 03 10:55 PM
How do I format a HD with WinXP installed. My PC is stuffed! Newt Homebuilt PC's 1 August 21st 03 05:33 PM