CD-R's

Old October 9th 03, 10:20 AM
D. Lee

Default CD-R's

I've been using Mitsui CD-R blanks for a few years now, as I believe that
they're probably the best brand of CD-R there is (they're supposed to last a
long time instead of going bad after a few or several years), and I've never
had any problems burning them and then playing them back on all my CD
players.....until recently. It seems to me that the latest CD-R's that Mitsui
has been producing, those apparently certified at the highest burning speeds,
such as 52X, are turning out to be unplayable in one of my CD players (the 12X
CD-ROM drive of a PC that I bought in 1997). Is it actually possible that this
problem is due to Mitsui's latest CD-R's being certified for the highest
burning speeds, such as 52X?

So now I'm seriously considering switching to another brand. It seems that
after Mitsui, the brand with the best reputation is Taiyo Yuden. So should I
switch to Taiyo Yuden? What about any other brands, such as the latest ones
made in Japan by Fuji (FujiFilm)? Aren't such Fuji CD-R's actually produced by
Taiyo Yuden? What other brands are actually produced by Taiyo Yuden? I know
that even crappy-brand CD-R's burn fine and will playback fine for a
few/several years or so, but what I need is a really good brand of CD-R's - a
brand of CD-R's that's guaranteed to last a very long time.

Any help will be greatly appreciated - thanks, as always.

D. Lee

To e-mail me, remove the "nospam"

Old October 9th 03, 07:35 PM
Mike Richter

D. Lee wrote:
I've been using Mitsui CD-R blanks for a few years now, as I believe that
they're probably the best brand of CD-R there is (they're supposed to last a
long time instead of going bad after a few or several years), and I've never
had any problems burning them and then playing them back on all my CD
players.....until recently. It seems to me that the latest CD-R's that Mitsui
has been producing, those apparently certified at the highest burning speeds,
such as 52X, are turning out to be unplayable in one of my CD players (the 12X
CD-ROM drive of a PC that I bought in 1997). Is it actually possible that this
problem is due to Mitsui's latest CD-R's being certified for the highest
burning speeds, such as 52X?

There is an optimum burn speed for any medium in any writer. In general,
a rating for a higher speed is optimized for higher-speed writers. For
example, 12x media seldom write well below 4x.

Your problem is likely to be that you are writing too slowly in your
unnamed drive and getting more 'soft' errors as a result. Depending on
the reader, those errors may become quite hard.

As usual, please see one of the usual references: the CD-R FAQ or the
primer at my WWW site.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old October 10th 03, 09:25 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

Mike Richter (Slimy Scum) wrote:

As usual, please see one of the usual references: the CD-R FAQ or the
primer at my WWW site.

Is your site not "quite dated" and does not have "significant errors",
like the CD-R FAQ?

=====================
From: Mike Richter (Lying Scum)
Date: 5/24/02

I've posted privately to Andy on the FAQ section.

It is quite dated ... and has significant errors
=====================

-----------------------
No friggin' ****, Mikey
-----------------------
Old October 10th 03, 01:35 PM
James Perrett

D. Lee wrote:
I've been using Mitsui CD-R blanks for a few years now, as I believe that
they're probably the best brand of CD-R there is (they're supposed to last a
long time instead of going bad after a few or several years), and I've never
had any problems burning them and then playing them back on all my CD
players.....until recently. It seems to me that the latest CD-R's that Mitsui
has been producing, those apparently certified at the highest burning speeds,
such as 52X, are turning out to be unplayable in one of my CD players (the 12X
CD-ROM drive of a PC that I bought in 1997). Is it actually possible that this
problem is due to Mitsui's latest CD-R's being certified for the highest
burning speeds, such as 52X?

Mitsui discs seem to have gone downhill since their company
re-structuring a little while ago. Where are the discs made?

Cheers.

James.
Old October 10th 03, 03:34 PM
Peter van der Goes

"D. Lee" wrote in message
[...]

Be very careful when buying Fuji's. I now see a mix of "Made in Japan" and
"Made in Taiwan" on Fuji branded media, with the latter becoming more
prevalent. AFAIK, the "Made in Japan" are still TEE, but you can be sure the
"Made in Taiwan" aren't. Looks like Fuji has gone to a cheaper source.

Old October 10th 03, 07:55 PM
Franklin Wright

"D. Lee" wrote:
I've been using Mitsui CD-R blanks for a few years now, as I believe that
they're probably the best brand of CD-R there is (they're supposed to last a
long time instead of going bad after a few or several years), and I've never
had any problems burning them and then playing them back on all my CD
players.....until recently....

In June of this year (2003), CSI (Computer Support Italcard) of Italy
acquired the majority stake in Mitsui Advanced Media, Inc. The resulting
new company will be known as MAM-A Inc. See:
http://www.mitsuicdr.com/about/press.../06-16-03.html

FranklinWright
Old October 11th 03, 12:10 AM
Tim Kroesen

Usenet Abuse - Continuing Stalking, Harassment, Libel and SPAMMING via
repetitive posting of the same material Thousands of times.

;

Additional references to portals that have recently banned this
psychotic for Stalking, Harassment and SPAM should you require
additional
information.

From: smh
Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Subject: CD-R's

Old October 11th 03, 01:02 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
( Reduced to living off the trash? )
( ... my thanks to Tim ... )

Timmy Kroesen ("Net-Trash") wrote:

Usenet Abuse - Continuing Stalking, Harassment, Libel and SPAMMING via
repetitive posting of the same material Thousands of times.

Still squealing, Timmy?

Timmy:

http://www.cdrfaq.org/
Large and somewhat technical FAQ "The Bible" to some here ; - )

Here's what Mikey spewed about "The Bible":

=====================

Old October 11th 03, 04:28 AM
smh

Mike Richter (Lying Scum) wrote:

As usual, please see one of the usual references: the CD-R FAQ or the
primer at my WWW site.

Isn't your site abundant with half-baked research?

Mike Richter & Enhanced CD (Half-Baked Research)

==================================
From: Mike Richter (Lying Scum)
Subject: EZCD 5.02b Enhanced CD mode
Date: 8/28/01

There is no Enhanced CD Mode
- so, no, people have not used it.
==================================

Wonder what's this "Enhanced CD" doing here then?

http://www.roxio.com/en/support/roxi...n_history.html

... When creating an Enhanced CD ...
... while burning an Enhanced CD ...

The above Mikey's statement is the fruit of ITS so-called "research":

======================
From: Mike Richter (cRoxio Shill)
Subject: Mixed Modes - and similar
Date: 5/30/01

After doing the research, I have prepared a page on the combination
modes and posted it in the primer at my site. Though one expert has
reviewed it, I look forward to comments from anyone with experience.

So much for the Mikey's so-called "research" and
so much for the so-called "expert" who reviewed it.

[ Any chance to reveal the identity of this so-called "expert?" ]

Mikey, you are a Slimy Scum!