"Power calibration failed." with Traxdata 48/12/48 and burnatonce

Old July 26th 03, 06:11 PM
Lars Janssen

Default "Power calibration failed." with Traxdata 48/12/48 and burnatonce

Hello,

I've got a problem burning CDs with my Traxdata 48/12/48
and burnatonce (as well with Nero) under WinXP Pro SP1,
just after starting the burning, it stops, the log i get
is as following:

SPTILOCK:0,1,0: CD-RW CDR-5W48 Rev: VSG3

Starting write at speed 48...
Turning BURN-Proof on
Executing power calibration...
?: I/O error. : scsi sendcmd: retryable error
CDB: 54 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
status: 0x0 (GOOD STATUS)
cmd finished after 5.370s timeout 180s
ERROR: Power calibration failed.
ERROR: Use option --force to ignore this error.
ERROR: Writing failed.

I have got a SCSI card mounted in my system but it is
disabled, and the CD-Writer is an IDE device.

I've searched quite a while with Google and in the Usenet,
this problem seems to appear as well under Linux, but I
don't think the most common answer "clean the laser lense"
does apply to my problem, because the Writer worked fine
in my system until I killed my bios and then got a new
mainboard and as well reinstalled WinXP.

Is there anyone with an idea how to solve my problem?

Thanks,
Lars

Old July 27th 03, 12:23 AM
Lars Janssen

Dan G wrote:
This is often due to really crappy media, try something else.

excuse me, that I have to ask again, with "media" do you
mean the disk I write on or the data I try to write on disc?

with best regards
lars

Old July 27th 03, 12:37 AM
Lars Janssen

Dan G wrote:
Your blank CDR's

Ok, thanks for your answer,
but I don't think this is the cause for the problems, I
now expericenced this problem with two different brands of
blank cdr's...
Any other idea?

With best regards,
Lars

Old July 27th 03, 02:42 AM
Isaac

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 01:37:25 +0200, Lars Janssen wrote:
Dan G wrote:
Your blank CDR's

Ok, thanks for your answer,
but I don't think this is the cause for the problems, I
now expericenced this problem with two different brands of
blank cdr's...
Any other idea?

The symptoms you describe can result from either a bad hardware or bad
media. If you are sure it isn't the media then it's time to look at the
hardware.

Maybe your hardware is just dirty, and cleaning it will help. Maybe
your laser is getting weak and you'll have to buy a new cd burner.

Isaac
Old July 27th 03, 06:07 AM
XPG

SPTILOCK:0,1,0: CD-RW CDR-5W48 Rev: VSG3

Disable the STPI interface.
It's too new in Burnatonce.
Use ASPI 4.60 to access drives.

Old July 27th 03, 11:18 AM
Lars Janssen

XPG wrote:

Disable the STPI interface.
It's too new in Burnatonce.
Use ASPI 4.60 to access drives.

Thank you, I tried this, disabling the STPI-Interface and
installing ASPI (version 4.71, since I didn't find 4.60
for WinXP anywhere...), but it still says:

ASPILOCK:1,1,0: CD-RW CDR-5W48 Rev: VSG3

Starting write at speed 48...
Turning BURN-Proof on
Executing power calibration...
?: I/O error. : scsi sendcmd: retryable error
CDB: 54 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
status: 0x0 (GOOD STATUS)
cmd finished after 5.458s timeout 180s
ERROR: Power calibration failed.
ERROR: Use option --force to ignore this error.
ERROR: Writing failed.

Any other idea?

Best regards
Lars

Old July 27th 03, 11:22 AM
Lars Janssen

Dan G wrote:

What media, exactly, have you tried?

Exactly the ones I used to use before I reinstalled may
system, the first is a CD-R 700MB/80Min with 40x speed
(Brand: Octron), the other is a CD-R 700MB/80Min with 48x
speed (Brand: i-b@se); I think these are both german brands.

Best regards
Lars

Old July 27th 03, 11:23 AM
Lars Janssen

Isaac wrote:

The symptoms you describe can result from either a bad hardware or bad
media. If you are sure it isn't the media then it's time to look at the
hardware.

Maybe your hardware is just dirty, and cleaning it will help. Maybe
your laser is getting weak and you'll have to buy a new cd burner.

Thanks, but I still can't believe this, since the drive is
only a 3/4 year old and as it worked fine until the
re-installation.

Best regards
Lars

Old July 27th 03, 12:05 PM
smh

Lars Janssen wrote:

XPG wrote:

Disable the STPI interface.
It's too new in Burnatonce.
Use ASPI 4.60 to access drives.

Thank you, I tried this, disabling the STPI-Interface and
installing ASPI (version 4.71, since I didn't find 4.60
for WinXP anywhere...),

Links to ForceASPI (which installs 4.60) are he
http://aspi.radified.com/