The solution for my long file names problem.

Old July 30th 03, 01:27 AM
someone

I dunno about the char limit, but the gui is the same. i dont see why some
people dont find it useful. CDRWin is the only cd mastering software i use
and have installed on my system and i never have problems with it. I find it
much better then bloated easy cd and the others out there like it.

"Ric" wrote in message

"someone" wrote in message
news
Try using the latest version of CDRWin v3.9D it can make ISO9660,
ISO9660+UDF, and UDF disks. These UDF disks are write once, using the

UDF
format, not the unreliable packet writing ****.

I haven't tried CDRWin in a long while. Does its implementation of UDF

allow
for 255 character path/filenames?
Does it finally have a useful GUI?

Thanks,
Ric

Old July 30th 03, 06:13 PM
Ric

I used to use CDRWin back in the day when DAO and SAO support was patchy in
other programs. I gave up on the Roxio software a long time ago, although it
was the first software I ever used for CD mastering (when it was still
published by Corel!). By the time they got to version 4 it was a complete
mess and I don't even want to think about 5... But the 2 programs I
discovered since then are the ones I've stuck with. Ahead Nero is a great
general purpose mastering program. I like it because it has a rock solid
burning engine and a decent interface for appending/modifying data on
multisession data discs. The other program I use is RecordNow Max. It's
major advantage is the iso level2 long format for 212 character filename
support. It's also got a very simple, clean interface and a pretty solid
burning engine (although not quite as good as Ahead's). I stopped using
CDRwin only because it no longer offered me anything that these other 2
programs couldn't do. Which isn't it so it doesn't have its advantageous,
but for what I mostly do I prefer what I'm using now. If it had support for
non-packet written UDF with long filenames I'd definitely consider trying it
again, but I don't see any indication that that's the case. In truth, if
Ahead would update their UDF 2.0 implementation to support 255 character
filenames and relax the restriction on volume name length, it would be the
perfect software for my purposes.

Ric

.. .

Old July 30th 03, 06:20 PM
someone

I beleve easy cd was previously owned by adaptec not corel, unless corel
owned it before adaptec did. the 1st time i ever herd of it was when it was
called adaptec easy cd creator, then between version 4 and 5 roxio either
bought easy cd from adaptec, or roxio was created as a sub company of
adaptec, to handle the cd burning apps.

"Ric" wrote in message
[...]

.. .

Old July 30th 03, 09:00 PM
Ric

"smh" wrote in message
Ric wrote:
"smh" wrote...
Ric wrote:

Personally, I've just been using non-standard ISO formats (from
RecordNow max) when I need long filename support. However, I've
recently been revisiting old CDs and find that I can't read certain
non-standard sessions I had created years [ago], which at the time

read
fine. This is making me reconsider the use of non-standard formats,
out of the fear that at some point in the future, my archives will
no longer be compatible with my OS.

Were the unreadable cd's indeed burnt by RecordNow?

The non-standard discs I was referring to were not created with

RecordNow
MAX.

It's unfortunate that your "non-standard" does not even refer to the
long filename - as you clarified below.

In fact, I've never had a problem reading a CD created with RecordNow
MAX. I love the program. I haven't tried reading ISO level 2 long

formatted
CDs on win9x or non-Windows computers. Do you know how universally

readable
they are? If any ISO9660 compatible OS can read them then they're

probably
okay.

The feature is for Windows only.

Also, if there is any readability problem on any Windows, the feature
wouldn't be there. I can't imagine Prassi claiming a feature without
testing, unlike a certain company. Put it in another way, can you
imagine any company - except one - claim such prominent feature without
some sort of testing? And it doen't take much to check it too.

Well, I guess I'd call iso level2 long "non-standard" as it doesn't conform
to any iso standard that I know of. However, I don't claim to know
everything. Is iso level2 long a standardized format? It's unclear exactly
how it gets around the shortcomings of iso level2 filename restrictions
(which, I believe are 31 characters). Is it just a more extreme case of
"relaxed iso restrictions" as other programs call it, or is it an extension
to iso 9660 like joliet, romeo or rockridge? In any case, I've definitely
never had a problem reading CDs formatted this way on any windows machine
I've tried, including those that don't have RecordNow Max installed, which
indicated it's readible without any addition driver installation. As a rule,
I try not to be disappointed when the claims made by a software company are
"exagerated". However, my experience with RecordNow Max has been only
positive. It's a very tight piece of software. I'm looking forward to the
5.0 version, which I hope will come out sometime soon. Of course, since
Prassi is no longer developing this software, it's possible the Stomp
engineers will break it... But 4.5 still works well in that case...

The unreadable CDs I had created were done with CDRWin and were non

standard
in that I burned the first session with audio tracks in session at once

mode
then appended one or more data sessions. This is basically what CD Extra

is,
I think, but these were actually done before CD Extra support was added

most burning programs. At the time it worked the way I wanted, being
playable as an audio CD on a standalone CD player, but showing up as a

Data
CD on a computer. However, now the audio tracks still work fine, but the
data session is not readable and the OS acts as if there is no CD in the
drive if you try to access it through Explorer. To be honest though, I'm

not
entirely sure that these particular CDs ever worked. I vague recall

having
some issue making some of them, so it would be hard to tell unless I do

more comprehensive search of my old CDs to figure out if they're all bad

or
only some of them...

[CDRWin is another program that supports 100+ (104 in my testing) char
filenames under Joliet.]

(Something must have gone awry with your problem cd.)

AFAIK, CDRWin does not have a license (from Philips) to make CD Extra.
What it makes is called Enhanced CD. In the early days, the "enhanced"
in the Enhanced CD was used in its generic sense of the word, but
nowadays Enhanced CD refers to cd with audio 'session' first and then
data 'session'. In this sense Enhanced CD is standardized.

I always get confused between CD Extra and Enhanced CD. But what I was doing
at the time was writing the first session as audio and the second session as
data, which, as you say, is essentially just making an "enhanced CD". I
think the reason behind this idea of "non-standard" actually came from Easy
CD Creator (which I know you just love...). At the time, I found Easy CD
Creator easier for making data discs but it didn't support session at once
so I'd write the first session as DAO but not finalized with CDRWin then add
a data session with Easy CD Creator. Easy CD Creator would always give me a
warning that this is a non-standard format and may not be readible on some
systems. I'd just ignore that warning and everything would work fine.

I think you're right, though. Probably, my problems are just with a few bad
CDs and not with the format itself. I do recall a long time ago having
issues writing some of those discs and probably the ones I'm having problems
with now are those same ones.

In any case, I've long since stopped using Easy CD Creator and CDRWin and
now use Nero or RecordNow Max if I need to burn long filenames or have a lot
of burning to do, because its queue feature makes that so much more
streamlined. And now life is good...

Thanks,
Ric

Old July 30th 03, 11:01 PM
Sylvan Butler

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 15:40:23 -0400, Ric wrote:
get bloated. What we need is a good opensource CD mastering project. I know

cdrtools and a whole slew of GUI wrappers.

sdb
--
| Sylvan Butler | Not speaking for Hewlett-Packard | sbutler-boi.hp.com |
| Watch out for my e-mail address. Thank UCE. change ^ to @ |
Old July 31st 03, 04:19 AM
Ric

"Sylvan Butler" d wrote in
message
oi.hpZ.com.invalid...
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 15:40:23 -0400, Ric wrote:
get bloated. What we need is a good opensource CD mastering project. I

know

cdrtools and a whole slew of GUI wrappers.

Do you know of a decent GUI frontend for XP?

Old July 31st 03, 04:21 AM
Ric

"smh" wrote in message
Adaptec purchased Incat (Easy-CD Pro) in 1995.
Adaptec purchased Corel's CD Creator in 1996.
Adaptec combined the two and released as Easy CD Creator 3.0 in 1997.

Sounds about right. If I recall correctly, Easy CD Creator 3 had essentially
the same GUI as Corel CD Creator 2. I have no idea how similar Easy-CD was
as I never used that one.

Ric

Sylvan Butler wrote:

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 15:40:23 -0400, Ric wrote:
I believe Easy CD Creator was originally developed by Corel (although

it's
possible they acquired it from someone else; I'm not sure on this). I

at one

CD Creator was owned by Corel.

Easy CD was originally owned by Adaptec from version 0 on up. It
was very slim and sleek software, with a very simple GUI and no
functionality beyond basic CD burning (it did handle ISO, Joliet and
Romeo filename formats). It was not a seperate package. It came
bundled with Adaptec's retail EZ SCSI package. The last version I
know of was with EZ SCSI 4.0 ca. 1995-????.

At some point, Adaptec bought CD Creator and came out with a new
product, Easy CD Creator. It had no resemblence to Easy CD, so all
I can figure is that Easy CD got dropped and the Corel package is
all that remained. Pity. Adaptec also bought Toast (a Mac-only
cd creationg application).

Roxio was created as wholly owned subsidiary then a spinoff from
adaptec ca. 2000. Roxio took essentially all adaptec software.

. ..

Old July 31st 03, 10:32 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
( Reduced to living off the trash? )
( ... my thanks to Tim ... )

smh wrote:
Ric wrote:

At the time, I found Easy CD
Creator easier for making data discs but it didn't support session at once

Ezcd not supporting SAO is the big secret Mikey the Scum has been
covering up with unadulterated, white lies. This is one example:

Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/cd-text)

======================
From: Mike Richter (Lying Scum)
Subject: Easy CD Creator makes CD-Extra disc
with no track titles

...when I just burned my first
CD-Extra disc -- the program did not transfer track titles or
publisher or artist information to the disc. I am using the latest
upgrade, v4.05, of Easy CD Creator.

If you want to do a true CD Extra, you have to comply with the rules
for CD Extra - which means TAO and no titles.
======================

Here's cRoxio description of SAO and CD Extra:

http://www.roxio.com/en/common/gloss2.html (link invalid)
http://www.osta.org/technology/cdr.htm#s (same as above)

Session-at-Once is...used for CD Extra.

In Session-at-Once recording, a first session containing multiple
audio tracks is recorded in a single pass, then the laser is turned
off, but the disc is not closed. Then a second (data) session is
written and closed.

How one can stoop so low just to weasel out Ezcd bugs!
----------------------
Mikey, you are a Scum!
----------------------

so I'd write the first session as DAO but not finalized with CDRWin then add
a data session with Easy CD Creator. Easy CD Creator would always give me a
warning that this is a non-standard format and may not be readible on some
systems. I'd just ignore that warning and everything would work fine.

Maybe cRoxio was covering up for this?

====================
From: steven
Subject: EZCD 5.02b Enhanced CD mode
Date: 8/29/01

It seems that version 5's enhanced CD mode doesn't work,
and it won't let you add sessions to an audio CD, so
if I want to create an enhanced CD I'm stuffed!
====================

Old August 1st 03, 10:36 PM
Sylvan Butler

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 23:21:26 -0400, Ric wrote:
"smh" wrote in message
Adaptec purchased Incat (Easy-CD Pro) in 1995.
Adaptec purchased Corel's CD Creator in 1996.
Adaptec combined the two and released as Easy CD Creator 3.0 in 1997.

Sounds about right. If I recall correctly, Easy CD Creator 3 had essentially
the same GUI as Corel CD Creator 2. I have no idea how similar Easy-CD was
as I never used that one.

Easy CD and Easy CD Pro (a seperate software package) were totally
different. I never used CD Creator back then, so I don't know how
it compared to Pro. Supposedly the feature sets were pretty
similar.

sdb
Old August 1st 03, 11:04 PM
Sylvan Butler

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 23:19:15 -0400, Ric wrote:

"Sylvan Butler" d wrote in
message
oi.hpZ.com.invalid...
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 15:40:23 -0400, Ric wrote:
get bloated. What we need is a good opensource CD mastering project. I

know

cdrtools and a whole slew of GUI wrappers.

Do you know of a decent GUI frontend for XP?

I have no idea what you would consider "a decent GUI frontend".
Personally I use the commandline, so I am not qualified to pass
judgements on GUIs for others.

here's some:
http://demosten.com/cdrfe
http://www.burnatonce.com/

sdb
--
| Sylvan Butler | Not speaking for Hewlett-Packard | sbutler-boi.hp.com |
| Watch out for my e-mail address. Thank UCE. change ^ to @ |
It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral
busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his
cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our
own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval
of their consciences. -- C. S. Lewis

Flash card reader: write problem... KILOWATT General 7 June 1st 04 12:19 AM
Mysterious Hard Drive Problem Bill Anderson General 4 January 18th 04 03:43 AM
boot-up problem Dave General 1 January 11th 04 02:38 PM
Can't get CD Burner to Burn Nottoman General 2 December 22nd 03 05:47 PM
Get the Serial Number with Visual Basic Michael Wittmann General 15 November 15th 03 06:03 PM