How to make an MP3 cd in Linux?

Old February 19th 09, 09:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.software,comp.publish.cdrom.multimedia,comp.os.linux.misc
asdasdas

Default How to make an MP3 cd in Linux?

Hi folks,

I'm using Nero and was wondering if anyone knows how to make an MP3 cd?
I have read the manual (the PDF) and see nothing in it on how to
make an MP3 cd. Thanks a bunch if anyone can help!

--
http://www.nero.com/enu/linux3.html
http://www.nero.com/enu/support-linux3.html
Old February 19th 09, 09:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.software,comp.publish.cdrom.multimedia,comp.os.linux.misc
Robert Heller

At Thu, 19 Feb 2009 12:29:43 -0800 asdasdas wrote:

Hi folks,

I'm using Nero and was wondering if anyone knows how to make an MP3 cd?
I have read the manual (the PDF) and see nothing in it on how to
make an MP3 cd. Thanks a bunch if anyone can help!

A MP3 CD is just a data CD (iso-9660 data track) containing MP3 files,
possibly in sub-directories. Just read the manual chapter(s) about
making data CDs.

--
http://www.nero.com/enu/linux3.html
http://www.nero.com/enu/support-linux3.html

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
-- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Old February 20th 09, 12:24 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.software,comp.publish.cdrom.multimedia,comp.os.linux.misc
asdasdas

I should mention I am trying to play the MP3-CD's in an RCA (
http://www.rcaaudiovideo.com ) boombox, model#: RCD159A.

For some reason my Bible cd will play just fine, but it has a
playlist.m3u in the root directory of the cd and all the MP3's are in
sub-directories. Does this have anything to do with it? I tried
burning an MP3-CD with just a bunch of songs in a "MP3" subdirectory,
but no playlist.m3u. Hmm...

--
http://www.1800customersupport.com/p...492&p=81&sc=13

Old February 20th 09, 12:33 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.software,comp.publish.cdrom.multimedia,comp.os.linux.misc
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

asdasdas wrote:

Hi folks,

I'm using Nero and was wondering if anyone knows how to make an MP3 cd?
I have read the manual (the PDF) and see nothing in it on how to
make an MP3 cd. Thanks a bunch if anyone can help!

--
http://www.nero.com/enu/linux3.html
http://www.nero.com/enu/support-linux3.html

(The above pages don't mention mp3.)

If the files are already .mp3, just burn them as data.

If you need to convert to mp3, you need mp3 encoder. In Windows, free
LAME encoder is often used (because Fraunhoffer encoder is not free).
This site has the encoder and what to do with it:
http://www.bitburners.com/nero-audio-plugins/

In Windows, many use Exact Audio Copy (EAC) to convert to .mp3 with LAME
encoder. EAC is supposed to run under Wine.

Perhaps you get more specific help by searching for "linux nero lame
mp3".
Old February 20th 09, 12:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.software,comp.publish.cdrom.multimedia,comp.os.linux.misc
asdasdas

(800) 433-7316

Apparently that's the RCA support line but they're now closed. Oh well
I guess I'll call them tomorrow morning...

Old February 20th 09, 01:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.software,comp.publish.cdrom.multimedia,comp.os.linux.misc
smh

asdasdas wrote:

I should mention I am trying to play the MP3-CD's in an RCA (
http://www.rcaaudiovideo.com ) boombox, model#: RCD159A.

For some reason my Bible cd will play just fine, but it has a
playlist.m3u in the root directory of the cd and all the MP3's are in
sub-directories. Does this have anything to do with it? I tried
burning an MP3-CD with just a bunch of songs in a "MP3" subdirectory,
but no playlist.m3u. Hmm...

Many players do not search subdirectory. The playlist .m3u is just a
text file lising the .mp3 files. Make an .m3u in a text editor, not word
processor, using the Bible cd's .m3u as a guide.

Old February 20th 09, 01:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.software,comp.publish.cdrom.multimedia,comp.os.linux.misc
Robert Heller

At Thu, 19 Feb 2009 15:45:04 -0800 asdasdas wrote:

(800) 433-7316

Apparently that's the RCA support line but they're now closed. Oh well
I guess I'll call them tomorrow morning...

I made a set of backup CD-Rs of my Laptop's mp3 directory tree (just as
a data backup). When the laptop 'died' (drowned actually), I was
jonesing for tunes, so I put one of the backup CD-Rs into my DVD player
and it was happy to play the MP3s there (it displayed the directories
on-screen, selectable with the remote control). It sounds like the RCA
box is being weird/wonky or something.

Old February 20th 09, 05:22 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Spamless

. --------------------------------------

asdasdas wrote:

I should mention I am trying to play the MP3-CD's in an RCA (
http://www.rcaaudiovideo.com ) boombox, model#: RCD159A.

For some reason my Bible cd will play just fine, but it has a
playlist.m3u in the root directory of the cd and all the MP3's are in
sub-directories. Does this have anything to do with it? I tried
burning an MP3-CD with just a bunch of songs in a "MP3" subdirectory,
but no playlist.m3u. Hmm...

Many players do not search subdirectory. The playlist .m3u is just a
text file lising the .mp3 files. Make an .m3u in a text editor, not word
processor, using the Bible cd's .m3u as a guide.

One other thing ... watch the format. I like old time radio shows and
many are available as MP3s, mono, low bitrate, low sampling rate
(heck, they were recorded from old mono AM radios). Some players may
not like much variation in format (I usually convert such OTR to
stereo, 44.1KHz sampling, 128KBps). I often play them in my TV's
DVD player (many of those support MP3 data disks). One would choke
on some OTR (mono, low bitrate, low sampling rate) and the other wouldn't.
Old February 20th 09, 05:19 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

Spamless wrote:
smh wrote:
asdasdas wrote:

[...]

Format issue never occurred to me and even if it did, would have guessed
variable bit rate (vbr) issue, not "OTR". Thanks for the heads up.
Old February 20th 09, 10:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.software,comp.publish.cdrom.multimedia,comp.os.linux.misc
asdasdas

Just talked to a technician at the above number and he said all I have
to do is throw some MP3's on a CD-R/CD-RW and it should work. No need
for a playlist file and doesn't matter if they're in subdirectories or
not and doesn't matter what bitrate the songs are.

Must be a problem with Nero Linux or something. I hate to say this, but
I wish I was using Roxio Creator 2009 right now.

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/creator/

*ducks for flames*