Pioneer DVR-212DD or Sony/NEC (AD-7220S-0B or AD-7200S-0B)?

Old December 18th 08, 09:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

Default Pioneer DVR-212DD or Sony/NEC (AD-7220S-0B or AD-7200S-0B)?

Hi all.

I am debating on which SATA DVD+CD burner to get for my next computer
upgrade. I am still using my old Plextor CD burner and it is time to
retire it and go DVD! Which one would you pick -- PioneerDVR-212DD or
Sony/NEC (AD-7220S-0B or AD-7200S-0B)? They cost about 30 bucks.

I will be doing CD and DVD burning (copy, importing with multiple
sessions, copy CDs and DVDs, etc.). I do have an old IDE/PATA DVD-ROM
drive for playing music, watching movies, being source when copying
discs, etc.

Any recommendations? Thank you in advance.
--
"Even the sharpest ear cannot hear an ant singing." --Sudanese
/\___/\
\ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail.
( )
Old December 18th 08, 10:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Ant wrote:

Hi all.

All slashed his wrists, he got too many posts.

I am debating on which SATA DVD+CD burner to get for my next computer
upgrade. I am still using my old Plextor CD burner and it is time to
retire it and go DVD! Which one would you pick -- PioneerDVR-212DD or
Sony/NEC (AD-7220S-0B or AD-7200S-0B)? They cost about 30 bucks.

Neither. I prefer LGs, they arent as fussy about the media.

I will be doing CD and DVD burning (copy, importing with multiple sessions,
copy CDs and DVDs, etc.). I do have an old IDE/PATA DVD-ROM drive for
playing music, watching movies, being source when copying discs, etc.

Its generally better to have the DVD burner as the source now.

Any recommendations?

I prefer LGs, they arent as fussy about the media.

Thank you in advance.

This is no laughing matter boy.

Old December 19th 08, 12:18 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

If you depend on Nero's disk quality test, it won't work with the Pioneer.

--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old December 19th 08, 12:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Ant wrote:
Hi all.

I am debating on which SATA DVD+CD burner to get for my next computer
upgrade. I am still using my old Plextor CD burner and it is time to
retire it and go DVD! Which one would you pick -- PioneerDVR-212DD or
Sony/NEC (AD-7220S-0B or AD-7200S-0B)? They cost about 30 bucks.

I will be doing CD and DVD burning (copy, importing with multiple
sessions, copy CDs and DVDs, etc.). I do have an old IDE/PATA DVD-ROM
drive for playing music, watching movies, being source when copying
discs, etc.

Any recommendations? Thank you in advance.

I recenlty looked at two drives with regard to DVD-RAM. the Lite On
managed to kill disks (which is supposed to be pretty hard), a Samsumg
203P (SATA) did very well. It also did very well for CDs. Did not
test DVD-nonRAM, since they basically all suck badly.

Arno
Old December 19th 08, 06:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

On 12/18/2008 2:53 PM PT, Rod Speed typed:

Ant wrote:

Hi all.

All slashed his wrists, he got too many posts.

I am debating on which SATA DVD+CD burner to get for my next computer
upgrade. I am still using my old Plextor CD burner and it is time to
retire it and go DVD! Which one would you pick -- PioneerDVR-212DD or
Sony/NEC (AD-7220S-0B or AD-7200S-0B)? They cost about 30 bucks.

Neither. I prefer LGs, they arent as fussy about the media.

I will be doing CD and DVD burning (copy, importing with multiple sessions,
copy CDs and DVDs, etc.). I do have an old IDE/PATA DVD-ROM drive for
playing music, watching movies, being source when copying discs, etc.

Its generally better to have the DVD burner as the source now.

But I will have to swap discs during copy. I just want to do direct
copy from CD/DVD drive to the burner. That is how I did it with my old
Plextor CD burner drive.
--
"We're all ants. I'm a glittery little ant." --Alanis Morissette
/\___/\
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: NT
( ) or

Old December 19th 08, 06:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

On 12/18/2008 4:18 PM PT, Ed Light typed:

If you depend on Nero's disk quality test, it won't work with the Pioneer.

How come it doens't work? What does Pioneer drives do differently? I
noticed the drives come with Nero OEM.
--
"Any spoke will lead the ant to the hub." --unknown
/\___/\

Old December 19th 08, 06:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

I forgot to mention I will use DVDRW too.

On 12/18/2008 1:52 PM PT, Ant typed:

Old December 19th 08, 06:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

On 12/18/2008 4:48 PM PT, Arno Wagner typed:

I am debating on which SATA DVD+CD burner to get for my next computer
upgrade. I am still using my old Plextor CD burner and it is time to
retire it and go DVD! Which one would you pick -- PioneerDVR-212DD or
Sony/NEC (AD-7220S-0B or AD-7200S-0B)? They cost about 30 bucks.

I will be doing CD and DVD burning (copy, importing with multiple
sessions, copy CDs and DVDs, etc.). I do have an old IDE/PATA DVD-ROM
drive for playing music, watching movies, being source when copying
discs, etc.

Any recommendations? Thank you in advance.

I recenlty looked at two drives with regard to DVD-RAM. the Lite On
managed to kill disks (which is supposed to be pretty hard), a Samsumg
203P (SATA) did very well. It also did very well for CDs. Did not
test DVD-nonRAM, since they basically all suck badly.

Is DVD-RAM, DVD+RW and DVD-RW? Or something else?
--
"When I was five years old, I saw an insect that had been eaten by ants
and of which nothing remained except the shell. Through the holes in its

Old December 19th 08, 06:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

On 12/18/2008 2:53 PM PT, Rod Speed typed:

Hi all.

All slashed his wrists, he got too many posts.

Eh? I don't get your joke.

I am debating on which SATA DVD+CD burner to get for my next computer
upgrade. I am still using my old Plextor CD burner and it is time to
retire it and go DVD! Which one would you pick -- PioneerDVR-212DD or
Sony/NEC (AD-7220S-0B or AD-7200S-0B)? They cost about 30 bucks.

Neither. I prefer LGs, they arent as fussy about the media.

What media problems did you run into with Pioneer and Sony/NEC drives
that I mentioned? I don't buy cheap nobrand discs. I do buy brand names
like TDK, Memorex, Sony, etc.
--
"Don't even step on an ant." --Greek
/\___/\

Old December 19th 08, 07:18 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

[...]

It is a Samsung SH-S203P SATA drive, that can do DVD-RAM,
DVD+/-R also DL and DVD+/-RW.

However I have no idea as to the write quality for the non-RAM
formats (I bought it as replacement for an ageing MOD). The one
DVD+RW I burned with a CentOS image worked fine for a day and
I never used it again afterwards.

One thing I like though, is that disks get far less warm than in
Lite ON, as the tray in the Samsung has ventilation holes. I assume
that will give an advantage on any burn.

Arno