Problem Playing Back Music CD-Rs

Old September 15th 08, 03:37 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Morton

Default Problem Playing Back Music CD-Rs

Hi,

I have a small portable CD burner that accepts flash memory cards, meant
primarily to transfer photos from an SD card to a CD-R, which it does well.

However, I digitally record classical music on a small recorder (WAV-)
which also uses SD cards. When I transfer the music to a CD-R with this
portable CD burner, the CD plays well on my PC. When I attempt to play
it on my stereo system's CD player, it does not accept the disc. I then
tried copying the music from the CD-R to my PC's hard drive, (Vista Home
Premium), and then burning a CD-R from the H.D. in my PC. That CD-R does
play on my stereo system, but the music sounds thin and fluttery and
unclear. The support tech at the portable unit states that the music on
the CD-R from his unit is in folders, and can only play on a player that
recognizes folders.

Is there any software that will change the music on the H.D., so that a
resultant CD-R will play on standard CD players?

Thank you.

Morton
Old September 15th 08, 02:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Mike S.

In article , Morton wrote:
Hi,

I have a small portable CD burner that accepts flash memory cards, meant
primarily to transfer photos from an SD card to a CD-R, which it does well.

However, I digitally record classical music on a small recorder (WAV-)
which also uses SD cards. When I transfer the music to a CD-R with this
portable CD burner, the CD plays well on my PC. When I attempt to play
it on my stereo system's CD player, it does not accept the disc. I then
tried copying the music from the CD-R to my PC's hard drive, (Vista Home
Premium), and then burning a CD-R from the H.D. in my PC. That CD-R does
play on my stereo system, but the music sounds thin and fluttery and
unclear. The support tech at the portable unit states that the music on
the CD-R from his unit is in folders, and can only play on a player that
recognizes folders.

The folder issue is true, but not the root issue.

Most audio CD players will only play discs in audio CD format.

The discs you are creating are DATA discs containing files (and folders
too, but that is incidental to the primary issue).

Is there any software that will change the music on the H.D., so that a
resultant CD-R will play on standard CD players?

Just about any CD mastering program, including many freebies, will do
this. The task you want to do is to CREATE AN AUDIO CD.

Deepburner, CD Burner XP, Burnatonce, Imgburn, are some of the popular
freeware offerings.

Old September 15th 08, 11:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
http://tinyurl.com/gqnae

(No Mikey S-lickers have been able to prove ANY of the above )
(is a LIBEL -- despite Mikey claimed to have PROOF of libels!)
'

Morton wrote:

Hi,

I have a small portable CD burner that accepts flash memory cards, meant
primarily to transfer photos from an SD card to a CD-R, which it does well.

However, I digitally record classical music on a small recorder (WAV-)
which also uses SD cards. When I transfer the music to a CD-R with this
portable CD burner, the CD plays well on my PC.

That cd-r is a data disc. Windows Explorer will list *.wav as the disc
content.

When I attempt to play
it on my stereo system's CD player, it does not accept the disc.

Your stereo cd player plays audio disc in cd-da (cd digital audio)
format.

I then
tried copying the music from the CD-R to my PC's hard drive, (Vista Home
Premium),

Did you use Windows Media Player? Please list the steps you used to burn
from the time you inserted a blank disc.

and then burning a CD-R from the H.D. in my PC. That CD-R does
play on my stereo system,

Apparently you burned an audio disc by converting .wav to cd-da format.
(Windows Explorer will list something like Track01.cda.)

but the music sounds thin and fluttery and
unclear.

If the original does not have the problem, then the burn process messed
it up. Again what were the steps?

The support tech at the portable unit states that the music on
the CD-R from his unit is in folders, and can only play on a player that
recognizes folders.

Is there any software that will change the music on the H.D., so that a
resultant CD-R will play on standard CD players?

Windows Media Player has the capability.

Thank you.

Morton

Old September 16th 08, 12:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Morton

. --------------------------------------

Morton wrote:
[...]

Hi smh and Mike,

Thanks for the replies. In the field, I burned a CD-R of the music from
my digital recorder's SD card.As I said, that CD-R plays in my PC's CVD
player, but not in my audio system's CD player.

Next, I copied that CD-R to my PC's hard drive. Then , utilizing Roxio
Creator Suite, I created an audio CD-R from the hard drive. That CD-R
does play on my audio stereo system, but the music is harsh, fluttery,
and without body. There is a mismatch somewhere.

When I copy the SD card's music from my digital recorder directly to the
H.D., then burn a CD-R, that works just fine. When the source is a CD-R
from the portable CD-R burner, it does not.

I would like very much to be able to burn a CD-R in the field, of
recorded music, as a backup, and have a CD-R that really plays in my
audio system.

Thanks again.

Morton
Old September 16th 08, 04:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

Morton wrote:

. --------------------------------------

Morton wrote:
[...]

What's the make and model number of the portable cd-r burner and digital
recorder?

What are the extensions of the file in SD, hard disk, cd-r burned from
the digital recorder, and cd-r burned with Roxio?
Old September 17th 08, 01:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Morton

smh wrote:
Morton wrote:
. --------------------------------------

Morton wrote:
[...]

EZ DigiMagic, and Roland Edirol R-09.

What are the extensions of the file in SD, hard disk, cd-r burned from
the digital recorder, and cd-r burned with Roxio?

I do not know. How do I find out?

Thanks.

Morton
Old September 17th 08, 04:31 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

Morton wrote:
smh wrote:
Morton wrote:

[...]

Insert SD and/or CD (and exit Auto-run/play).

Click Start button and type "explorer" (without the quotes). Several
programs will be listed under Programs. Select Windows Explorer and hit
Enter to open it.

In Tools menu, choose Folder Options. Click View tab and uncheck 'Hide
extensions for known file types'. Click OK.

In the left pane, double-click "Computer". This will list all the
drives. Select the drive you want to explore. Right pane will list files
(and folders). When you select a file in the right pane, full filename
will be displayed including the extension.

What's the make and model number of the portable cd-r burner and digital
recorder?

EZ DigiMagic, and Roland Edirol R-09.

R-09: WAVE/MP3 Recorder.
24-bit/48kHz (or 44.1kHz)
Up to 320kbps MP3

If the file extension of cd-r is .cda, Roxio converted 24-bit to 16-bit
and that conversion must be the source of losing fidelity (although they
say the conversion does not lose much).

Conversion from 24bit to 16bit
Audacity
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

If the file extension of cd-r is .mp3, you need to find out the bit rate
used by the recorder. Play the Recorder file (in SD?) in Windows Media
Player, File menu, Properties. It will show the bit rate. Next find out
where you can specify the bit rate in Roxio and set the bit rate to that
of the mp3 file.

(Audio cd: 16-bit/44.1kHz/stereo)
(cd quality: 128kbps)
Old September 17th 08, 10:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Morton

. --------------------------------------

Morton wrote:
smh wrote:
Morton wrote:
[...]

I record with the digital recorder at CD book specs = 16 bit and 44.1
khz. As I said, when I burn a CD-R via my PC from the recorder's SD
card, the music is great. When I burn a CD-R using the portable CD
burner, it does not play on my stereo system but does play on my PC. If
I copy that CD-R to my hard drive and then burn a new CD-R, the music is
tinny and weird-sounding.

Thanks again.

Morton
Old September 18th 08, 01:19 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

Morton wrote:

. --------------------------------------

Morton wrote:
smh wrote:
Morton wrote:
[...]

In detail, what are the steps you followed burning to cd-r with the
portable cd burner?
Old September 18th 08, 09:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Morton

smh wrote:
Morton wrote:
. --------------------------------------

[...]